Home made pop up Mechanisms

bmiracle

I have been cruising this site for some time now and am looking to do a home build of my own and am looking to see how others have made a a diy pop-top. Anyone have any good links?

--Brian

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Check in the Vehicle Parts For Sale section. There is a pop top from a conversion van for sale in there. Located on the Central Coast of California.

pods8

Explorer
What kind of lift, straight up? Sloped roof only lifted on one end? Soft sides?

There are mechanical/hinged type mechanisms, gas struts, electric/hydraulic actuators, etc. what are you going for?

bmiracle

I have seen some hinged tops, which is an option. I guess what I was wondering is how exactly the commercial pop ups work? The Phoenix pop up's simple lift is pretty cool. I was just wondering how other lift mechanisms work.

Last edited:

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
Here's a page chocked full of links to lifting roof self builds on the Teardrop and Tiny Travel Trailer Forum.

The roof lift mechanism won't mind what it's fitted to.

Sun2bfre

Observer
Hi All, has anyone used the hydraulics off an outboard motor to raise their roof? Do you think it would work? It's 12 volt and should have the power, right? Let's hear what you all think.....Thanks, Sun

Sun2bfre

Observer
I had no idea that outboards used hydraulics which could be used for such a purpose!

Hi AeroNautiCal, Old outboards used external hydraulic pumps to tilt and trim the outboard motor. I've got one and thought about plumbing it to a manifold and then to four rams to do the lifting. Just a thought. I'm a long way from putting this project in motion...........Sun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior