Home Page Topics relative to Bicycles?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have a BikeND case that I used once and while it worked, I think I won't use it again. The one time I used it, the local TSA people...who were very nice...had to dig into the case to get a better look at the contents. As I stood there ten feet away, I had to watch them fumble with the case to get everything back together. It was so infuriating.

I currently have a Thule Round Trip Pro Soft Case that I've yet to use. It requires rather major bike disassembly, but I have come to learn that's part of modern bike travel.

It will be interesting to see how my TriAll3 case will work out for my trip to Iceland. Traveling with a FS fatbike didn't afford many options, so Bill at TriAll3 was kind enough to help with a tailor made solution. I may pay through the nose to get my bke there, but I feel very confident it will get there safely.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I have a BikeND case that I used once and while it worked, I think I won't use it again. The one time I used it, the local TSA people...who were very nice...had to dig into the case to get a better look at the contents. As I stood there ten feet away, I had to watch them fumble with the case to get everything back together. It was so infuriating.

I currently have a Thule Round Trip Pro Soft Case that I've yet to use. It requires rather major bike disassembly, but I have come to learn that's part of modern bike travel.

It will be interesting to see how my TriAll3 case will work out for my trip to Iceland. Traveling with a FS fatbike didn't afford many options, so Bill at TriAll3 was kind enough to help with a tailor made solution. I may pay through the nose to get my bke there, but I feel very confident it will get there safely.

What you said about TSA fumbling with a bag is probably the single most important factor on how I will choose our next boxes/bags...at least you were there to witness it...
I usually can't sleep on the plane or have nightmares thinking of how my bike might be rolling around the hold of the plane underneath grandma suzies 400 cu ft samsonite...
I have heard stories of the BIKEND bags showing up with both bladders deflated and a damaged bike inside because TSA couldn't get the bag closed...so they just deflated the bladders...zipped it up and sent it on its way...

We have some old PRO hard bike cases from Performance that while huge and able to swallow almost any bike and two sets of wheels, they have awful locks/latches. On most of our trips out of PHX we are able to take our boxes over to TSA and talk them through the opening and closing of the latches...they are usually very helpful in PHX and willing to work with you...
But on return trips or airports that I can't stand with TSA to advice, I rely on some additional ratchet straps to ease my mind...then even if they don't get the latches to close hopefully my bike won't arrive in pieces...
Flying with bikes might be the most stressful thing I have ever done:)
If the custom box from TRIALL3 still doesn't work you are welcome to use on of our "crates"...:coffeedrink:

Last edited:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader

Wow, I wish I could make a trip like that work this summer. When I was thinking and typing about airline travel and my bike I was wanting to get back to Iceland but also bring my Fatback. I was thinking next spring. But the midnight sun is contagious. Here is some pictures to get you stoked from Jokulsargljur National Park now combined with Skaftafell National Park and renamed Vatnajokull National Park. Many of these are of the Jokulsa River.

aa6519_01-1.jpg

aa6519_16-1.jpg

aa6519_17-1.jpg

aa6519_18-1.jpg

aa6519_24-1.jpg

aa6519_30-1.jpg

aa6519_32-1.jpg

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
When I was road racing full time on the international level, I'd fly with my road bike as many as a dozen times a year. I've tried all sorts of cases with reasonably good luck. Only the BikND case has proven problematic and it had nothing to do with the case itself.

I'm looking forward to this TriAll3 case as it is 35 pounds, comes in at just over 100 inches (combined dimension) whereas most airlines permit 115 inches with a max of 70 pounds. That gives me 35 pounds of bike to put in the case. Just barely enough, but enough. The "custom" attributes of the bikes simply include a minor tweak to the internals, added locks and...added tie downs since we may be portaging the case around Iceland atop a Suzuki Jimny. :)

The Thule Round Trip Pro appears to be a smart evolution of the BikND concept. TSA monkeys can easily peek inside the Thule case and not have to reinflate any bladders. They can open the case and fully view the contents with ease. Not to say they won't have ample opportunity to steal something. I've had plenty of stuff stolen from TSA clowns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12