Homebrew Jeep Modifications(DIY)

trust

Adventurer
burrito warmer

I changed the 258 in my scrambler to a 4.0 head and efi, the bonus was a flat top alum valvecover with threaded bosses sooooo I took a stainless steel mud tray for drywalling and made a serviceable burrito warmer by drilling holes corresponding to the existing threaded bosses in the valvecover, 10 mins and <$5 I have pics but cant get them to upload

thatguysgarage

Observer
I would love pics of the burrito warmer that is right up my alley. nothing like manifold hot dogs for lunch.

I made a door pouch the other day. You can't cook with it but it's prey handy.

JK-door-Pouch.jpg

Last edited:

skaggs9573

Observer
Roof rack for my Congo rack.

Found a Tri-fold ATV loading ramp at Harbor Frieght Tools, it's got a 1500 lb capacity which is perfect. It's made out of 14 guage aluminum, so it's light. And the best thing I only paid $69.99 with my super saver coupon. Here's a few pics.. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1006
I used plasti dip spray to coat the rack and used rivets to secure the steel on both ends to give it more rigidity. Once it's mounted I'm going to fab up some kind of fairing for the front. Need to figure out how to post single pics...

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
attachment.php

For these, right click on the pic you want, then click on 'properties', copy the highlighted area.

To post, click the 'Insert image' icon, paste the highlighted area you copied.

Kind of convoluted:snorkel: I host my pics at photobucket, and use the image code.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
this is a section of walk in freezer shelf, works good for holding my first aid kit and other things not in the pic.

IMG-20110828-00196.jpg

i was going to put a dog barrier in to keep camping gear from piling on my kid if i hit the breaks hard but didnt want to have to deal with removing/installing/storing it. this is a net tailgate from a mini truck, i need to tighten the top up more but it works good so far and keeps the dogs in the back. i can undo one side and roll it over, using velcro to hold it to the window mesh.
IMG-20110905-00207.jpg

K2ZJ

Explorer
this is a section of walk in freezer shelf, works good for holding my first aid kit and other things not in the pic.

IMG-20110828-00196.jpg

Very nice! I have a tool kit that is in a flat case that I want to mount in that same spot, flush up against the glass. I like that for the other side, as soon as I get the spare out of there.

Burlbook48

Lunch Hour Runner
Jeep YJ mods

First post on this forum. Thought I would contribute a few things I've done to my YJ.

First, a secure "instatrunk" that gives me lockable storage, but can be reversed in about 10 seconds to fold back the rear seat for passengers. Just a simple plywood shelf, supported by oak runners, fitted between the two wheel-well storage boxes, and secured with a simple pin. The shelf cannot be removed unless I open a storage box and remove the locking pin. The foam pipe insulation on the end of the shelf fits snug to the tailgate and keeps rain from dripping in (mostly... hey, it's a jeep, cargo's gunna get some exposure).

IMGP4901R.jpg

IMGP4900R.jpg

IMGP4892R.jpg

Next, for camping trips where the rear seat will not be needed... a removable cargo rack that allows me to use a large storage bin and two coolers below, and still have lots of cargo above. Simple angle iron and plywood construction, bolted together, and secured to the roll bar with pipe clamps. Holes drilled around the edge of the rack let me secure cargo with tie-downs. After a few trips, I found the simplest way to secure items on the rack was to use a roof-top travel bag from Thule. Tent, clothes, sleeping bags (large, bulky items) get shoved into the bag and the bag's zipper eliminates the need to tie each item down individually. The bag's footprint fits the rack perfectly, so only carabineer clips are need to secure it to the rack.

IMGP4589R.jpg

Secured to the roll bar:

IMGP4581R.jpg

Driveway test fit:

IMGP4587R.jpg

In use on the road. The piece of plywood you see is resting on the up-turned trailer stinger. Just some scrap plywood with a 2" hole cut out to clear the ball-mount bolt in its upside-down setting. It serves as a simple shelf to support the large storage bin, which can be quite heavy. Beats removing the bin completely out of the jeep to access heavier items. Done using the shelf? Toss it in the back of the jeep and flip the ball-mount back to right-side-up orientation. 15 seconds to switch places... not bad.

DSC00389Rcrop.jpg

A couple pieces of flat stock keep the cargo from moving forward into the passenger compartment in the event of an accident. Just some 3/8" x 2" scrap left over from another project. Here is the lower bar, the upper bar protects me from stuff on the rack itself.

IMGP4585R.jpg

Couple other things for making the jeep more adaptable.... the solid lower half-door's soft uppers are secured above the roll bar, and under the safari top, with a couple pieces of 1/2" electrical metal tubing that is zip-tied to the windshield side bars of the roll bar. They stay put, are not in the way, but are there if I need them for rain. Sorry, no pics right now. Also, a hand throttle makes working the clutch and brakes at the same time easier on hills, rocks, etc. Military ammo cans make great storage containers, and come in a variety of sizes, are water-proof, and make a great place to contain spare fluids and parts (oil, coolant, u-joints... )

That's all for now, hope to contribute to this forum as I learn more from you folks. Building an off-road trailer is in the plans for the future, and I'm combing your forum for ideas.

Cheers!

thatguysgarage

Observer
Cuious what you did? Is it plate with a bend or something else?
It's 2x6 channel accost the front bolted to the factory mounts. 1/4x6 flat accost the top wielded to the channel. bolted to the top of the frame. I will cap the ends, add tow hooks and a 2" receiver in the next couple weeks. The best thing about it is cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger