Homemade Roofracks.

jesusgatos

Explorer
Lots of nice racks. This is the roof-rack / cabover rack that I've built for Mah Deuce. It's not finished yet, but will eventually be fully enclosed over the cab, and will have solar panels and a rooftop patio with fold-up guard-rails and an easy-up-type awning on top of the box. It's made out of 2" x .120-wall HREW tubing and 16g sheetmetal. Designed the sheetmetal parts in SolidWorks and then had all the pieces laser-cut. Went together pretty easily for such a big assembly.

mah_deuce_04.jpg

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
A few roof racks I've made over the years...

Now on my Hummer, selling that and getting a newer Suburban, already looking forward to building the rack for that! (would be my 7th roof rack...2 for the Cherokee, 2 for the old Sub, 1 for the Hummer, and one for a friend's truck). Yay! I love building roof racks!

Attachments

• IMG_1839 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1839 (Medium).JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 671
  • arctic_1 (Medium).jpg
    arctic_1 (Medium).jpg
    98 KB · Views: 730
  • Hummer roof rack (Medium).jpg
    Hummer roof rack (Medium).jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 965

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
evldave

I thought I carried alot of stuff on my H3 :)

what year Suburban are you thinking of?

hehe that was a light load, didn't include rocketbox, sea kayak or mtn bikes :) (all of which can fit at the same time)...needless to say, I've got a M416 trailer I'm in the process of fixing up (it'll have a rack, of course)...too much crap up top :)

Currently looking 2003-2006 Suburban...I like the newer interiors and on longer trips it's a lot more comfortable to have leather, DVD, etc...somehow I went from total minimalist to glamping in what seems like no time at all lol

Adventurer
did you butt weld the expanded metal in? looks really cool but i can't figure how you did it

I took my sweet time and welded a Double-V butt weld.... Bottom right example....

w9%20copy.jpg

The expanded steel was cut to fit the inside edge of the angle iron frame.
I welded both sides (top and bottom), welding the expanded steel to the angle iron, then a once over with a grinder.

Rev

Adventurer
I did not build this rack. But the guy who did, Dephep, built one for himself, and the next thing you know he is making them in his garage for a dozen people. He built this one custom for me.

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_5529.jpg

IMG_5522.jpg

IMG_5524.jpg

Last edited:

TRDFAN

Adventurer
cool idea's REV. I like the hi-lift mount. Also wondering how you are doing your wiring for all those lights?! I plan on doing lights on the sides as well, can't wait to see how yours turns out.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Rev, can you show some more pictures of the rack? I think I really like that, but it's hard to see the rack itself. I've been wanting to build a rack that works with the factory 2.5" tubes on my Land Rover, similar to what you have.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I took my sweet time and welded a Double-V butt weld.... Bottom right example....

The expanded steel was cut to fit the inside edge of the angle iron frame.
I welded both sides (top and bottom), welding the expanded steel to the angle iron, then a once over with a grinder.

:ylsmoke:Nice

Box Rocket

Forgot I had this one on my old '85 pickup. It was welded directly to the roll cage. The rear part of the cage however was removable. The main hoop directly behind the cab was welded to the flatbed with tabs across the top where the runners and rear hoop portion were attached. By removing the rear part of the cage/rack, I could still have an open flat deck to carry larger objects if necessary.

Simple 1" tube for the rack with expanded metal floor.
flatbed_e.jpg

flatbed_d.jpg

rogermini_c.jpg

This photo shows the attachment point for the rear of the cage. You can see the mounts on the main hoop and also the bottom of the rear legs that unbolted from the flatbed.
cagerack.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I loved that truck. You were building that rack at the old shop when I was finishing my Cruiser :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan