Homemade Roofracks.

rubberduck

Observer
FSU_disco
I looked into doing the j-moose but i couldn't find the ramps I needed. This one is built from 1 1/4 thin wall tubing. Weighs under 50lbs and I can stand over the windsheild with no a pillar leg. I'll try to get a better pic with nothing on it.

theksmith

Explorer
just an update, so far this setup has held up great. just did 5 days in canyonlands with it, with (2) 5 gallon cans of fuel, (2) 5 gallon cans of water, a tent-cot oversize, a large tent, a chair, a camping pad, 3 sleeping bags, PETT toilet, ammo can, and some misc stuff all on the rack the entire time (and of course hi-lift/shovel/axe too).

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0349.JPG

luv2xplor

I made this one to hold the hi lift, shovel and extra fuel and water. a simple platform that bolts to the factory rails.

roofrack006.jpg

soonenough

Explorer
Only the floor section is! Im thinking of writing a build thread on it.
I'd like to see a write-up of the roofrack build. I'd never thought of using deck balusters for a roof rack. Where'd you buy them? Did you use a conduit or tubing bender to bend them?

theindian

Observer
I'd like to see a write-up of the roofrack build. I'd never thought of using deck balusters for a roof rack. Where'd you buy them? Did you use a conduit or tubing bender to bend them?

Soonenough, I will be writing it up saturday with pics when i have more time Work is crazy right now. They are the aluminum precoated ballisters that you can find at any home improvement store they come in a box of 10 and i used a harber frieght tube bender ,it made a tighter corner radius.

Great thread lots of awesome ideas, most of the roof racks I see in this thread are mounted using the vehicles gutter system.

I have a 1993 4runner that does not have a stock roof rack and it also does not have a gutter system, so the only way to mount a roof rack is to install some rails through the roof.

I want to be able to install a custom roof rack without removing the head liner on the inside of the vehicle. I have a roll bar installed and it would be a huge PITA to remove and then remove the head liner. I see that Yakima roof rails use "Plus Nuts" here is the description from REi.

When no other Yakima rack will work for you, Tracks can be custom-installed on your vehicle roof--ideal for camper shells or other tricky situations.

Heavy-duty, corrosion-resistant, anodized aluminum 54 in. long tracks make virtually any vehicle ready to accept Control Towers and Landing Pads, sold separately
Stainless-steel PlusNut® hardware mounts Tracks securely to vehicle roof
All installation hardware included

pixel.gif

Anyone have any thoughts on this product?

Chris

acidrain350

I wanted the biggest floorplan possible. I went with the perimeter of the roof as my template. I used 16ga 1" square stock on everything. The rack is a whole unit, and takes two people to install, but removal is very rare. It's my first welding project. I think I did pretty good for a newb, IMHO. ;)

The photo here was just after final test mount, before paint.
image.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman