Homemade Snorkel Build for an XJ

Dirty_Jeeper

Adventurer
I recently added a snorkel to my XJ. The ARB was nearly $400 for my 1997 Jeep so I opted to build my own. Yes another poop pipe snorkel, but I think it came out pretty clean. It's finished with spray on truck bed liner rather than paint. Total cost was $74.00

Something I have not seen any where, even from the professional built ones is a wet weather shield. I made a removable weather shield for traveling in heavy down pours which keeps the water out of the snorkel. It's a two second on or off component.

Photos of the build are here.
http://s892.photobucket.com/albums/ac124/Dirty_Jeeper/The Jeeps/XJ Snorkel DIY/

XJSnorkel001-2.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Not sure on an xj but my montero's air intake system has 'compartments' (for lack of a better word) in the intake system that will allow water to drain and not go into the engine. Maybe your xj has a similar design?

Dirty_Jeeper

Adventurer
The air box does have two low chambers with a quarter inch hole in each one. They have both been sealed tight to stop water from entering when the jeep goes into a wet hole as the air box is directly behind the driver headlight. One of the lowest points on the XJ when entering water or mud.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I meant to add this earlier but did not have a chance... here are some pics of the setup in a Montero...
2757536590104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

You can just see 2 of the boxes on the driver side and rear of the intake filter box.

Here's a shot of the one on the driver side of the air box...
2835791270104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

And one of the one at the back of the air box...
2080779800104986527S600x600Q85.jpg

Dirty_Jeeper

Adventurer
for some reason that looks VERY good. I wouldn't have even knew it was pvc if you didn't say anything.
Thank you! I spent a lot of time sanding off all the casting marks labeling and defects in the PVC parts. Wanted it to look as clean as possible. I think the spray on bed liner helps a lot in getting rid of the PVC look too.

Another plus that was unplanned, the positioning on the windshield pillar made it invisible from the drivers seat. Zero interference visually. It's all fitted close to the body. The 3 inch pipe and fittings stick out less than my mirror when folded up.

This is why I wanted a snorkel. The (silver) TJ is next to get one now that I have it figured out by using my (red) XJ as a guinea pig.
IMG_3699.jpg

Last edited:

redbeard

Adventurer
I do remember reading that the ARB safari snorkel has a water trap built in, much like what was mentioned on the Montero. It seems like you could build one of those in somewhere under the hood one you figure out how it would work.

Dirty_Jeeper

Adventurer
I do remember reading that the ARB safari snorkel has a water trap built in, much like what was mentioned on the Montero. It seems like you could build one of those in somewhere under the hood one you figure out how it would work.

I gave it some thought during my planning. It would require some form of self actuating valve that would allow water out but not in. I think even the Montero design would allow water in once the air box itself is submerged even partially. The Montero and XJ trap method allows water from the intake source to be removed at a low point and drained. But once that box is in water the water can flow in.

So I sealed mine and created a removable cap for the snorkel itself. While moving the water will flow past the intake head.
SnorkelandSteelRims005.jpg

SnorkelandSteelRims004.jpg

SpencerFitch

Observer
It really looks great, I want to make one soo BAD.. I just dont want to get made fun of HAHA.

I have been looking for better materials. I have seen some REAL good looking ones, but im looking for something that doesn't create lines like the fittings in the pvc do.

Mamontof

Explorer
I

Simple build AND Easy to replace if damage , any reinforcement as anti branch :cool: , or you prefer open mud areas :cool::smiley_drive:
The reason why i ask , if you try to drive true Bushes ..you lost pipe in seconds

Great build , i love the idea use Shower drain as anti bugs .:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger