Honda Generator VS. Yeti 400

trouthead

Can somebody breakdown the pros and cons of which system I should get for an 8 day excursion? I need to power electronics and possibly an ARB fridge, and I don't know whether I need a generator or the power pack. Noise won't be a factor, so I don't really care about that. Thanks for any help...

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
How will you charge the power pack ? Do you have dual batteries ? Can you provide more information?

trouthead

How will you charge the power pack ? Do you have dual batteries ? Can you provide more information?

I don't have dual batteries. So the only way I could charge them is via running the vehicle and charging them that way. But that doesn't sound that economical. Not sure...

trouthead

If noise, space and weight isn't a concern I would bring the generator.

I think you're right. But I'm not sure how the ARB fridge would work with that. Does that mean that the generator would have to be running constantly in order to keep the fridge cold? If so, that seems a little much.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
The Yeti site shows the 400 for smaller power needs. The Yeti 1200 shows good for a small fridge and has a 100 AH battery. The Yeti looks like a neat unit, well detailed. Their site also shows recharge time with 2 x 30 watt panels as 40 - 80 hours.
The ARB will run on 12V battery or 110V AC. I would use a Sears Diehard Platinum 31M battery (100 AH) for the ARB, and charge the battery every three days, via the generator and a battery charger. While the gen was running and charging the battery, i would plug the ARB into the gen, too. Battery recharge time would be a lot less than 40 hours.
I just bought an ARB 50 and have run it for 4 full continuous days (24 hour periods) at fridge temps without charging the battery. The ARB was in my garage with a surrounding temp between 65 and 88F. I also got over three days with the ARB set at 14F with bags of ice inside. The. ARB was in my Sequoia, parked in the sun, with the high outside temp about 93F during that time. There was still some charge in the battery, I had the ARB on low cutoff voltage and it did not shut down. Battery voltage got to about 11.8

I would not run a gen for 4 days straight, mostly because of the gas volume usage. I think it would be easier to haul less liquid, and more hardware. My Honda 2000 does sip gas, but the noise would get to me, and it is overkill from a watts generated vs. watts used by the ARB. even a Honda 1000 would be much bigger than necessary. The gen will charge 12v, but it is much slower than using a 110V charger.

I will be modifying my collection to include Solar in an effort to eliminate the gen, but the Odyssey charger, charging the Odyssey/Sears battery is so fast.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78