Honduras/Nicaragua Kayak 250kms paddle

TravelAfar

Anyone interested in a long paddle through swamps, mangroves, open ocean and lagoons for 21 days from end of the road Honduras to Nicaragua (Moskito coast). I'm looking to share the trip with a person with prior knowledge of IKs in unexpected conditions and that has traveled extensively abroad. World travellers welcome, people in a "Gringo mindset" please abstain. There are no roads, cell links or "civilization" along the way. Look at google maps to get a better idea, this is not an Everglades National Park tour but rather a aussie style walkabout on water with plenty of locals along the way (some may be suspicious of gringos because of US abuses in the region such as CIA Contra camps and drug running ops).

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Sounds fun! I have an IK with me here in Panama and would be interested but am just about ready to go home....

I would not want to use an IK in open ocean water, otherwise it should be ok. Best boat for this kind of trip would be an collapsable kayak, imho of course.

I have a friend in Belize who is making his own boat, like a big canoe with outriggers. He is then sailing it from Belize to Nicaragua and then through Lago de Nicaragua and into the Pacific. From there up the coast of Mexico to his second home located not far from Los Mochis. He is a brave bastage I can say that!!

Any ways, sounds like a fun trip you have planned....please do a trip report once you finish it! :)

TravelAfar

Thank you for showing interest. Your friend's trip through Lake Nicaragua should be interesting except for going up river from Barra Colorado. Have you been on any interesting floats in Panama?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior