Honestly ...

colvere

Observer
I have owned two D1's a 97 and current 99 and have been able to do most any work needing done. Suspension, Brake rotors, swivel repair.... easy peasy just had to study and jump in. My wife realy enjoys the D1 (after cup holder upgrade) and asks to drive when roads are snowy. Maintenance is key with any truck, and I have over 130k on the 99 and it runs just great and looks good. People still stop me and ask who makes it and can you buy them in america... wierd. After I bought my first I would say I will be a life long buyer of these trucks.

czenkov

Adventurer
Granted I have a Defender not a Disco but I stay on top of maintenance. I have also developed a great relationship with a Rover mechanic so if I have questions I have an easy encyclopedia of knowledge. Also the stuff I can't do, he does - and he treats my Rover well. I love the Rover. I agree with who said "you either love them or you don't". If you love them buying a second Rover isn't too far behind the first! (The Defender was the second Rover I bought).

SOFpirate

Adventurer
If you're happy with the Mitsu....stick with it. Can't be that hard to find one. You obviously don't want a rover based on your two hours of actual ownership so instead of subjecting yourself to such misery just don't do it.
I've never understood why someone craps on a vehicle then asks to be convinced into buying one.
You say you "get it" but obviously you don't. Honestly.....

The issue is ... I'm dumb enough to like them and want one. Apart from the maltreatment that most Rovers get in the US, they're stuff of legend. That's why I want a Rover, because I'm a vehicle lover.

hochung

Adventurer
That's why I want a Rover, because I'm a vehicle lover.

When you say you are a vehicle lover, does that mean you are a Rover lover? Because Land Rovers are much more than simply vehicles.

Look, you don't have to categorize yourself as vehicle lover, or a car guy, etc. Just ask yourself, deep inside, if you just can't live without the Disco.

I dare say this Land Rover thing is almost as personal as picking your girlfriend. It's all about you and the machine.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
The issue is ... I'm dumb enough to like them and want one. Apart from the maltreatment that most Rovers get in the US, they're stuff of legend. That's why I want a Rover, because I'm a vehicle lover.

Sounds like you might just have the right attitude to be a happy Rover owner! My only advice then....buy the best example you can afford. It's the easiest and, in the long run, the cheapest way to get into one.

As they say, "Jeep is famous, Land Rover is legendary"

Welcome to the funny farm!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
My only advice then....buy the best example you can afford. It's the easiest and said:
This is hands down the best advise available!! I try to preach it to every new Rover owner.

cdm

Adventurer
It's a car. You either know how to pick a car and work on it or you dont.

If you don't, rovers and many other brands on the whole are not for you outside the factory warranty. It always amazes me when people who don't even know what oil viscosity is pick a jaguar or a rover and whine to high heaven about what a pos they are. Gee.. ya think? So read all the horror stories with skepticism. Also keep in mind that the people who say you can do everything are generally the type that pull an engine swap and transfer in a lunch break after doing about 50 of them prior. You have to measure both the good and bad comments and judge their context.

"great car" "evil nightmare" mean little unless you know who is saying that.

Mine has been perfect, for a rover. fnt driveshaft and compressor was the only unexpected service. The rest is all fluids and filters, oil pan, headliner, cdl mod, etc, rear shaft, which are things i wanted to do.

total about 1200$ after the purchase price in parts and supplies. 2nd cheapest car i've ever owned. easily a 3000$ bill at a shop tho. so yes, see how it doesnt make sense to ask if a car is good or not?!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998