Hook Vs Loop?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
HookvsLoop.jpg

It seems like we have more choices than ever for winch line ends in the recovery gear market. What are you running and how do you store whatever you are using?

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I like a hoop because I’m old and it seems I can do everything I need without a shackle and that is what I am running. However, I don’t think going loop only is bad at all.
The new Grenadier is running a Red winch that only has a loop. Red said their vision was that you’d use a small winch ring inside the eye with a soft shackle through that but it would be loop eye only when not in use on the front.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I like a hoop because I’m old and it seems I can do everything I need without a shackle and that is what I am running. However, I don’t think going loop only is bad at all.
The new Grenadier is running a Red winch that only has a loop. Red said their vision was that you’d use a small winch ring inside the eye with a soft shackle through that but it would be loop eye only when not in use on the front.

Hook or Hoop?

How are you storing the end when not in use? Do you just suck it up against the hawse or do you attach it to a recovery point?

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Ha! Yes hook.
Super old school my hook is attached to the shackle mount on my bumper. But this is also on a 2006 LJ so everything is square and lines up nicely. If it was my GX460, I’d use a factor55 flat link.

alia176

Explorer
Let's see, one vehicle has a D shackle at the end of a steel cable. The other one has some kind of a fandangle alum thing at the end of syn cable. The steel line+ D shackle is probably going on 20 years. The syn cable + Factor 55 thing is less than five years old, and it was a gift.

I realize I'm about to age myself quite a bit by saying this, and that is, I don't keep my shackles on display! They live inside a bag after they've cleaned from each usage. The winch D shackle does live outside and I have to clean the threads every so often.

1681409150496.png 1681409222079.png

Last edited:

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
I feel like a hook is more convenient, but I can't find a good solution to keep it from rattling around and scratching things, or to keep the synthetic line totally protected from UV. I am going to switch from a hook to the "fandangle alum thing" alia mentioned above.

alia176

Explorer
I feel like a hook is more convenient, but I can't find a good solution to keep it from rattling around and scratching things, or to keep the synthetic line totally protected from UV. I am going to switch from a hook to the "fandangle alum thing" alia mentioned above.

One idea i might suggest is to purchase a hyd hose liner that's long enough to cover the outermost layer of your rope on the winch drum. That'll keep the U.V. from damaging the rope.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
One idea i might suggest is to purchase a hyd hose liner that's long enough to cover the outermost layer of your rope on the winch drum. That'll keep the U.V. from damaging the rope.

Thanks, but my winch is actually enclosed in the bumper, it's just the eye on the hook that is exposed to UV. The aluminum shackle mount above entirely encloses the rope eye, so it's out of the sun. It seems like Factor 55 also makes a hook that does this, but it costs a lot more.

My only concern with the aluminum shackle mount is that it seems to be designed only for a hard shackle, and can't be used safely with a soft shackle because of the non-radiused corners.

ITTOG

This rubber winch bump stop will solve your problem.

grizzlypath

The below is a great vid for sure. I am currently running just a loop on the end of my winch line. I use a Yankum Groove Fairlead that has a way to attach the loop to the fairlead. It's pretty $, but it was a nice solution for my more stealth daily driver set-up. That being said, having a hook is ultra convenient. I usually carry a bunch of recovery gear in my vehicle so grabbing a shackle isn't a big big hassle, but is less convenient.

My friend Fred making a good argument for a hook.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader

'UV' damage on modern synthetics is blown a bit out of proportion. Sampson has some good studies on this. Generally speaking, once the 'fuzz' develops on a working rope, they act like a micro shade for the underlying load bearing fibers. All the fibers of the rope do not degrade equally. Most good quality rope these days also comes with a UV treatment in the dye package applied to the rope at the factory.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
The below is a great vid for sure. I am currently running just a loop on the end of my winch line. I use a Yankum Groove Fairlead that has a way to attach the loop to the fairlead. It's pretty $, but it was a nice solution for my more stealth daily driver set-up. That being said, having a hook is ultra convenient. I usually carry a bunch of recovery gear in my vehicle so grabbing a shackle isn't a big big hassle, but is less convenient.

I cede some of Fred's points, but I find most hooks really bad at doing hook things.

Most winch hooks we see on aftermarket winch lines are not even large enough to fully accept both ends of a good size tree strap. You usually have to cram them in there and the gate almost always never closes. Once you get a hook big enough to do hook things well, it is annoyingly large on most vehicles. We also don't generally design anything else in the recovery market to use hooks......extensions, straps, kinetic ropes, etc.

In the 'emergency' case, there are a number of ways to run a loop back onto itself if needed. Worst case, you need a good stick to make it work.

Beardy

I just use the factory hook that came with my Warn winch. Wind it in up snug to the hawse and have a cable tie on it to hold it in neatly
A shackle is then used as a universal connection to anything else

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
'UV' damage on modern synthetics is blown a bit out of proportion. Sampson has some good studies on this. Generally speaking, once the 'fuzz' develops on a working rope, they act like a micro shade for the underlying load bearing fibers. All the fibers of the rope do not degrade equally. Most good quality rope these days also comes with a UV treatment in the dye package applied to the rope at the factory.

Makes sense... this is exactly the type of thing I would worry about while everyone else just drives around using their synthetic winch lines in full sun with no problems :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan