Hope Over Land and Sea: 8000 miles, 9 weeks, NC to Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Badlands and more in 2023.

HopeOverLandandSea

Grand Canyon - Part 1​

Ok this is the BIG ONE! I have to tell you, if you are planning a road trip of “canyons” once you have been here it is hard to impress a teenager afterwards, no matter how deep Gunnison is or varied the colors of the Badlands.

I mentioned the road trip when I was 15 with my parents and in talking about it with my Mom it turns out I might have been a typical dismissive teen with comments about the Grand Canyon being “just a big hole in the ground.” However, despite the fact that 15 year old me was not expressing my awe out loud, I was truly impressed and have talked about my FIRST experience there for the last 40ish years now.

As we all parked and then approached the rim for the first time I held back a little bit because I wanted Tanner and his parents to experience it together for the first time.

E9yaTHewtmzPoU3OCvyR8FHkTYbmG3Lv5uS0Fdd8wNuHn1b0rFb1Ia81ZNy0riRmo3s3GAAXb3mSC8SAeN7suo1Aie8bTgKY-lpFdeld6vf645GFGZzyj_p5tdxzzV7Wo-Zvo7ghggCpF1rFXhjxI5o

VMGfSTEG_rtyyWai3_k8vX301z9Sqlue7TPfCyUY8zCIoLzjzQSIstEwY8E0rE1zI3BU3mdWGgNHhd-ND3TFhXp1IThL36SlK9Jloi_FXsAdRfKYGVjUGyhfTV5JEhKbdCB-0l12AutwKGeZHE6fMTQ

I remember my first pictures of the canyon from 1986, they were taken with a Kodak 110 which was about all of the camera I was trusted with at this point. Dad saw my interest in photography, sparked by his own work as part of his Master’s degree in Communication and in a few years for my high school graduation he gave me his Pentax K1000.

“You cannot take a bad picture of the Grand Canyon” has been my story these last 40 years, but the other side of that is you simply cannot capture the majesty of what you are seeing. This is truly something that has to be experienced and I cannot recommend it highly enough for anyone traveling the southwest.

3sACG6bvMBQ6XoOpO-wAKq9L4dJ5lH5K6g8M6Chs5G54lblUqIH34tsC07s2x40uEC0TBkIYAWev_29hHl7_efXnCjvb-Q0wJQGnqTLH3kSRO8noyof1iRKUspAubGOsRiwqiNskvsPJ7kEQSpYp1sQ

Our camping reservation was at Mather Campground, Site 77 on Fir Loop. This is a nice pull through spot. I selected it using Google Maps with satellite imagery because I wanted something with good views of the sky for my Starlink connection. Make sure to note that generators are not allowed on Pine Loop and there are no electric, water or sewer connections at any of the campsites. The bathrooms are very nice with hot water showers and flushing toilets.

6lbgLA0-k6aRGqxSxufr2kemGRlBCZAmen0ZSasho4QJp6ZzEuFsXMRNU69I9vWDnhhA8qOUFgHkARyOEuXl6pMM9UThkOliO9keWv5db1rV3w5QtztIioCgVG2V_BgWDuhPF9Yw8_5Udgmk2BGQmUw

The neighbors dropped by only a few minutes after setting up camp and you are SO EXCITED the first time you see them wandering through. I think I have a few dozen pictures and videos from this alone. Within a few days of staying at the park and driving around you will quickly get used to the fact they are EVERYWHERE!

GCVLGFkrc4NskBgHC9wn6O6D57hHS9MgqtYkkHJemIl_FsugukHYd1-J5nuMOq_NZs-IhK1SSNNpFu9jSYFNmeATHBTKeOVdeYpnHqyrNOH0M1pp7HpLqdiAa-Q-gFTbOgA_S87f94yLgy0i1UzdT_s
H0UJzxfLfsSmUNMwjWsWecjpyhuUQODgQNwIWPIQOiA7XIzSw3KSZp9N7otUl11suv2x6SdfDKo9SR1CzqTV_l9ixilJYW5VxS7OlZ87mkINV9_t4o22L-ZQgAAeqHxFA2dwBHcA6l_aeZn48tn1HN0

Being a couple time zones away from home I found that I was able to wake up “early” and get in a few hours of work before exploring for the rest of the day. Something I eventually settled into was keeping breakfast in the Jeep fridge so I was making less trips in/out of the camper.

I have the Jackery 500 as my base power unit in the Jeep, wired to the 12 volt connection in the back of the Wrangler and the fuse under the hood switched over to provide electricity even when the Jeep was not running. This ultimately caused a problem with my battery on the Wrangler as it drew that down several times to where the rig would not start!

Something to mention is the Jackery 500 is not quite big enough to handle making coffee, that requires 700 watts or more and the power unit would “reset” and I would have to start the coffee over again about 6-8 times. I will be replacing this with a 700 watt inverter for Summer 2024 and will report back.

It kept the fridge running all summer AND when I powered up the Starlink, mounted to the hood of the Jeep, everything worked great. I personally would recommend the 1000 or 1500 for anyone considering similar usage but the 500 was just fine for this trip.

D4RS2l6uibihzeKEPo-2IpUlDdxl3kNF6cf2az8RvHNph0Cz2B2JXbKMV1cZ7OTvPx5AonaLa12jBlmW8WaW0ppb0YkinzEpCI8fJpDAm_A40A-cjHn-0DFCqMjqnoWUG8nAw_5bpmTjNV49vqFB7_o

We went back out to the Canyon that evening to watch the sunset, simply incredible and also hard to capture in a photograph. I remember my second trip to the Grand Canyon in 1991, I was with a group of college buddies and hiked down a short ways into the canyon before sunrise and sang Hymns as it rose over the edge of the rim. Simply glorious experience I will treasure the rest of my life.

The Grand Canyon is a designated Night Skies / Dark Skies area and they will set up telescopes at the Mather Campground parking lot and do a wonderful presentation about the things you can see.

My nephew is really interested in photography and we decided to go back to the rim after 10 pm to capture images of the stars. This is one of my favorite photographs of the entire trip, you can see a pine tree in the lower right corner. This was taken with our Nikon D3500. I don’t remember the exact settings but it took about a minute or so for the exposure and then some editing to bring it back to the black and white image you are seeing below.

LfkUnCpPKPfqHf5GZqtZDOGA8Oh8219_PGqi7fgHXzt4O7YyONYwoen8rm77ZS9K4ly5n9JZtaQqXzg0jSbCXaGw4C4n5X3d6GAxzHIe97HnPpQDsrTIoxssAezSW-STaNRSlfeZNGIeUzzN7q7vbQE

On our final day at the canyon with Tanner’s parents we decided to hike down into the canyon to Ooh Aah Point for pictures. This is a 1.8 mile hike out and back but was actually about 3 miles all told from where we had to park.

16HigFL2pWIje19tru_P8c0X4lrE9O9rx8W6s_Bz4a6fhicp24zYDUvQSx3fjVZULLQfTtkxxExHBqTPHywG48KCEgDYwVBvzvg-n5CXSeRxGLJ3jv2WuZurQj9eXz1V0xkKKoKugw6P9Qz0ZxWqq9s

Going down is so easy, and the final views are worth the price you will soon be paying on your way back UP the canyon!.

J7QQ_Axc6i7nXLfTxFUObHwDUdMW14UCfGC8yzLnCwIwC6bzbSSYZpmnb1um5NkYu7TRmWPO18mIRePbjLWrJ2JhSdJrN_lD1o17p3Ukm04nUGcoG3Lt7t34GTSkxuuSCV4Tj_VNEDUIftB1W-nFsuo

zfzeqN6-AJahQ51pRZvsHitp1hYmdfiAmUoLVrgpE0CwoBx3LssAzUdo7GZ0IAO1LH4PcyYM_cJpb6e7F7v0P2bWT1jbR3GPVyw8PMNe9LhpFVCgNByRFb2Fc7GS9Rc0Rsk8LV57LhV-x0z04-icqH0

Coming back up the trail to the rim you need to plan on 2-3x the time as it takes you going down. We did the hike in the morning so we had as much shade as possible.

We all did make it although there was LOTS of grumbling, huffing and puffing from the teenager. He agrees afterwards that it was worth it but not eager to repeat that experience any time soon.

zJktdXB5AKlEpCqKKFkVPxkArLraBpDzRCeN04DNT7V68Z3_N13c2oM-bTQUHxjTqra9tN07awhSbMeC0LnLMUl9V_L--3ssdZaYRmTF3Hu68J9R744cEn9oZNhloWSOouNpAepzN-8MxvIvFauGQdo

tSZHFcpJByUKrX8Vym_d8fFOGxLJ66i4dbTkHr_fdF4U0Gd1MNnO-YbfpUh8qx91e_ltBe4rzJ3yterhsDUlarmiidlRdAXVFbMcc0wyNzxqE_bvPcolueHwmcPJ3fAkQEMm-C_jSKgORe231d3RSU0

After arriving back up top we headed to Desert View which is on the far east end of the southern rim. This tower has amazing views, SURPRISE, and lots of interesting history about the structure itself and the surrounding areas.

RZ9f4locHOIUBVnw6yk-MyFFMbHtZ3_8fPgLZAup7I8Z9Zq8AvESUkIrLrErkoElSZQGgLUJRSDKZ54hd-8B4fUpbmNozt_ln2tF8jYGp6N9cd2pOhYZKATqcntywlLHwl92KVbPfJ6_XM8tyjDhAgo

sBQpqsL8ImaJ5NTPFh4hmKyfrYLzGFpzUG8NJJV24r7CwksWGD5viDNMlvh-sAzFYGPEM8fgSnOtp-Rw3FjyZbRopYBaBdvdpGoj4iSFnUQvTDGlc4PqIpDBzc59u-skORBXk044hSm4C-HUGPk97zo

Time to relax and think about Part 2 of the Grand Canyon experience.

l_hS19vRFoH34p5nU41eTxFxnRsiSLh27ZXCK6lpj5_jbWilbgJBPzmCnC-__0cet-1m98klzb165pZlF_xOK_UBEqfxVeCS2kqZxH66D5XbRC1wXpgEcYm7X-xHwlocrhss3T8_DqtRDuwD3Kc2i4w

HopeOverLandandSea

Grand Canyon Part II​

Once Tanner’s parents headed off towards home, we spent the next day or two relaxing and then no story of ours would be complete without some mention of trains right?

pnu7CFN57EJFpOIszSgbi2z8F-DIj_eoXTX1DtC5wsvECclo9mUp4SJfyptYk5wUROSCVmWJhe4f_xGXyMQjxqWSz4D706vCGGuxKTHDOn0gNCS5O-RBjyFbBqx8qmjMObY_euOR6_01KBqaLTQG2XQ

https://www.thetrain.com/

I think it is pretty significant that their website domain is THE train, as if there are not any others out there right? They have been providing tourists a unique way to visit the Grand Canyon since 1901 so, I guess that is pretty historical and worthy of that name. We did not actually get to ride this train but instead set up video cameras and recorded its arrival.

They have a daily trip from Williams Arizona to the park and back and you can book complete packages including hotel rooms etc. This makes for a nice alternative if you want something a bit more luxurious than sleeping in your roof top tent or camper.

Hermit Road, formally known as West Rim Drive, is only accessible by shuttle / bus from March through November each year. The shuttles have 9 stopping points along the rim and you can choose to hike from one point to another if desired and then hop back onto the shuttle again as desired.

ur9K7mIW3X5_V5BLHZUsZuFzBPMGRN2S1h-mZGy_vwBGNN_IGtH1RuoLW-dKj0LM6fsQNamKuP8bqhVAP5FNmRNUMcmViw7ryVTUQ5_4Mljs3-y4We0zDGdf7ZLJvb5rsNRJZ4qOghlMXlZcupuZYpM

AqeOzYv2K43yCvb2vDpQMtvMZfewBLyZAW4ZAmz5UouSyohStRUxCBdBBbmaJitFEqznhngDX5iaw4YdOqBy0MYp-hXZAHXWhFzW6xg-LzwlK3bucp-lX9V0ixzmNBGgERnSkKwr9sd4B7vOCXF7wpk

I did notice a few UTVs parked along the road, and some trails that appear to lead in from the wilderness area. I am not sure of the legality of those trails, if they are on park land or entering from another adjacent property. That is something I hope to explore in the future, I know there are trails outside of the park that lead all the way down into the canyon to the river.

https://hualapai-nsn.gov/
https://hualapai-nsn.gov/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/DIAMOND-CREEK-BROCHURE.pdf

Once you reach Hermits Rest, there is a nice facility with restrooms and overlooks and information about how this area was created. I thought this was some of the prettiest views in the park and well worth the 80 minutes round trip on the shuttle.

NlEMhRHrhNxb0wq4l6qySCA4pj-xUA4FZ1jc9Hjrx5yuMa9zHgEcXkHbxSWXB5v2KztkR_u-VfRNxuFmkMw47zNLpE8-WnGUEeRy6avquYQ_YK9RHFQfoAg6eWIxacX_xlpNehmlTSldoHhpm-EGkcI

JrcnbJWqcSq1mRU9qno98yV4yYIad3NtIrjV5td7FIfV-5onVMhevSj1ePClYstbuNve7qN3LrRF3qm_YIFn7X2iTYNgc5lbi-XQdrecsz70IypCYOLHc61jwBTCunWD9jdC9WU6I-917wzTDoxhQdw
kt10Evw-8AbNkocwRKRF__4ynUbho1A8pCGjl3TKwQUoTesFvfTUCy1yhHo1nHpTSmz69soUsLblUoIuvtqo9vXV-44vnlbajUEWY59trzRIPAsH5QcZhZ4vNGDCHLlv37tjZYoSIrLoEq3YO27UX_A

We did find a charging station for the Jeep in the parking area near the train and shuttles to Hermits Rest and came back to find the Jeep fully charged and ready to go!

a9rSaLlG3lr8MN8vXlTRWCwywR-zak9lgPuDhT_Uk294xdTjb1fY1FEUYw_8dD2N1D7_di8WILwrAjK6_uZocukU2hRbtPcaozSJaj3xB9nkSSWF_agIYI_05GfnmmMnW85TXDE_0str2EfZNmij6nE

We got several more visits from our friendly neighbors and had to take even more pictures of them because they are SO CUTE!

pLT3u5fiCH0WobQDutdBUkA6FHD1W_R9jjfK1pBlcll1n-639qbcSD6ebTDOFeqGVTktqy0EUX46OygdoDp3rvFlyGeZf20zQYKOVW6WhJceRFsNgTRcPImGksiyfq9AzozsB0DHAYEy8ID0ZznBK7k

9H3QT7BnCq7Ze05VpHz0SrNABqvoY6yoBSEjIj2dl0T7BBU8BOe3wBnSCWUWsDRjuGfhiWuKIadmgQ6XT8q3OiV_IsjQ3LFo2fwYGPe0kddyQTCXDtN0rKUKmHSLJhka5opu7Y5y_9EWBlfLqo_4yhg

Time to head on to our next destination, Mesa Verde Colorado! So we drove out of the east gate towards FOUR CORNERS for the obligatory pictures of us straddling the state lines!

E2mt2yUHsqN5qsb-j1DP3DY-mzIGKn2q0RmCkOpRNtrq7pUnArfmJqpPS_qNVY1UFfofAEZXbCsRMYn3vWRej-hlLXR07b7lxHxp7R-0Jd2EXOyoD3sFU_xRI6jVBGh92PJARpEkLkp5BpqN-57FTIw

kFXE7sQxgbi47CDJIowhxlP0JKoz7VWfaAP8q9VcHmrjXS9mEm-pH-XINdSUSBLH5CSifbcq0nxOdEXdZoHwefzY7FOos-Wh9LsjiRyd3POc9OdPBThqzRdZucWPxwCYZonEYCarzdEbtERfSA1HdvQ

Z2JDK1y8nEp2iXHfJ0APxR73LTrmVIVofNXb5eP-KXkf5VY4vIUHclmpW9_fXZewiX0_V7qKUHt0trv5PQYR-NUUOyAY9100nSjGOH8_5Y-D1mGD63yVQvdmPBJcuL2wYmYOcjNNoBVNXpmPQhnwFaU
xDrLXbYMp4xoKOs93qNpLCUPId_DQ_i5SgGvnppeNfgGLzzt_h1vyfX_g4OrJYktoEl6pQillMBFjaOuaBIsKTWFYYX4hb0V7G0pw90mJhrZaRLjkgPpz1710vknogV1FRnhxYPyiDlQ_gjP4r1hBD8

HopeOverLandandSea

Have you been pretty happy with the 4XE thus far?
I was pretty happy with it, I originally purchased it for use around town, 99% of my wife's driving was under 20 miles so with the Level 2 charger, we had some "tanks" of gas where we got 50+ mpg because most of her driving was electric only.

Once I started driving it on a regular basis, the efficiency was really not there for me, on this 8000 mile road trip, I only got to fully charge it once or twice. Most of my sites were "boondocking" no electrical hookups. If I had the 2024 4XE then I would have used that new power outlet so I had power in the OTHER direction, for usage around the campsite!
I think 4xe / PHEV is fantastic choice if you drive 20-25 miles per day on a regular basis, the more you go over that, the less useful they are.

The POWER is another huge benefit, if you want the ability to accelerate, this is the fastest Jeep hands down. Even with 0% on the battery there is usually enough still on reserve to boost yourself off the line, onto the interstate, etc. You do lose the payload from the battery weight, so for overlanding, that is hard to give up. My payload on the 4xe Rubicon was maybe 1000, possibly under?

If I was ordering brand new, Gladiator 4xe... I would be tempted especially with the $7500 tax credit to offset the actual extra cost. For me, it is probably not worth it currently but again if someone was commuting daily, I think it is a fantastic choice.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I was pretty happy with it, I originally purchased it for use around town, 99% of my wife's driving was under 20 miles so with the Level 2 charger, we had some "tanks" of gas where we got 50+ mpg because most of her driving was electric only.

Once I started driving it on a regular basis, the efficiency was really not there for me, on this 8000 mile road trip, I only got to fully charge it once or twice. Most of my sites were "boondocking" no electrical hookups. If I had the 2024 4XE then I would have used that new power outlet so I had power in the OTHER direction, for usage around the campsite!
I think 4xe / PHEV is fantastic choice if you drive 20-25 miles per day on a regular basis, the more you go over that, the less useful they are.

The POWER is another huge benefit, if you want the ability to accelerate, this is the fastest Jeep hands down. Even with 0% on the battery there is usually enough still on reserve to boost yourself off the line, onto the interstate, etc. You do lose the payload from the battery weight, so for overlanding, that is hard to give up. My payload on the 4xe Rubicon was maybe 1000, possibly under?

If I was ordering brand new, Gladiator 4xe... I would be tempted especially with the $7500 tax credit to offset the actual extra cost. For me, it is probably not worth it currently but again if someone was commuting daily, I think it is a fantastic choice.
Thank you for the reply and how it changed based on your experience and use case!

I would bet others would find value in your experience with it in this use case. Which many also do.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior