How about this '88 FJ62?

michel77

Adventurer
Hi All,
Been lurking here mostly, finally thought it was time to register and, more importantly, get some more info on our hopefully soon to be purchased next vehicle..
Been looking at several trucks to replace our headache-inducing, money-pit Audi A4 and we are ready to get something bigger, more capable, but also more reliable. So far, have been looking at XTerra's, Montero's, 4Runners etc. and I'm fine with the newer types as far as their capability and reliability goes. Thing is, I have always had a soft spot for the older Cruisers (and in all fairness also for the older Jeep Wagoneers, but I have read different stories on them as far as reliability goes) and now found this on my local Craigslist, so I'm really hoping for some opinions on pricing on this one, things to look for (I already know the usual rust spots, anything else a relative noobie can spot easily or ask for?) etc.? From the ad and the additional pics I got, it appears to be a well-maintained rig. At this price, it would leave me another $3k or so for a good tune up, suspension check etc., but it would have to be fairly reliable afterwards i.e. not in the shop every other week like the Audi :(

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1556169966.html

Also, I know these are pretty bullet-proof, however seeing how this one has already turned 200k miles, am I going to have to shell out in a big way to get another good 100k out of her? It will be mostly used as a weekend toy for skiing trips, mild offroad now and again and some daily driver duty for my better half (very few miles, grocery trips etc.). We're not looking to get anywhere fast either so that's not an issue...
Thoughts? Thanks All!!

More pics:
Landcruiser001.jpg

Landcruiser010.jpg

Landcruiser011.jpg

Landcruiser013.jpg

Landcruiser005.jpg

Landcruiser006.jpg

Landcruiser003-1.jpg

timbercruiser

Adventurer
First, RUN AWAY from the Wagoneer! I drove one in hi school and it was a beast. It broke every 2 weeks and got terrible mileage.

As for the 62, it looks great. I'm not an expert on pricing-check IH8MUD for comparable vehicles and prices.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I wouldn't let 200k on a 60 series worry me in the least. What I would want to know is the health of the auto trans in a 62.

X eleventeen on researching the IH8MUD 60 series forum.

dustboy

Explorer
Looks like a good one..I have the same affection for these beasts, though I have only driven one on loan for a week.

You'll need that extra $3,000 for fuel. Also, SLOW. Like 0-60 in the low teens slow. Otherwise, definitely a cool truck.

LifeOverland

Adventurer
Looks like a nice truck! Price seems a bit high. When I got mine the guy was asking $8k for it and it's pretty well built. OME heavies, front/rear bumpers, etc etc. Look on the IH8MUD classifieds

AndrewP

Explorer
That is a really nice FJ62.

But, for that money you could get a really nice 8o series which is, well, better.

IMHO it is way overpriced. Maybe $4000? would be fair.

My neighbor has his for sale on and off for $3500 and it's in equivalent condition. He hasn't been able to sell it in 2 years of trying.

I have one in better condition with 125k miles I bought for $2000. Just sayin' there may be better deals out there. Still, that's a really nice FJ62.

Editorial:
I used to dis FJ62s. However, after owning and wrenching on one for a couple of years, I am convinced they are THE BEST 60 type Land Cruiser. Swapping in a manual tranny is EASY, if that's why you would by a 60, The 62 makes a critical amount of more horsepower. It takes the truck from a sluggish slow dog, to slow but livable. There are enough chassis upgrades to be interesting.

michel77

Adventurer
Thanks all, appreciate the replies!! Can't believe I missed all that great info on ih8mud as well, nice site!! Have posted the same thread there for some more input.
Agree that the price may be a tad high and sure I can talk him down another 500 or event 1k, however $4k total is a bit too optimistic I think, seeing the amount of work he's had done to it recently.. I'll go check it out this week, ask some more questions and check out the rust issues, will report back with updates!!
Cheers,
Michel

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Sorry to say that but you should pass. I had one a I loved it - but slow, bad gas mileage and getting old now - even for a Toyota. Mine blew the head gasket around that mileage.

Willman

Looks to be in good cond.

I too agree that the price is way to high!

An 62 like that better have 100K on it and spotless for his asking price...

:sombrero:

luk4mud

Explorer
I would not rush to conclude that it is overpriced. The seller has legitimately put $4-5k in maintenance in it recently, which a new buyer would likely spend most or all of as well. Those expenses are "worth" something.

So, if the rig itself is worth, say $4k or so, I would certainly pay him a $2k premium for all that maintenance. Seems to me if the work was done right, the rig is fairly priced around 6k to 6.5k.

What would cause me to pause a bit is the "small transmission leak". Didn't the guy just replace the gasket? Go talk to his mechanic and see what that guys has to say about this 62, since he knows it well by now. If you can get comfortable with that issue, show him a NADA value, offer him $6k. I bet he might take it in a week or so if he has no other similar offers.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Looks like it's in good shape. I agree that the price is high; however, even for, say $6K I wouldn't think you'd be getting the bad end of the deal, if the maintenance records back up the seller's claims.

If you don't really have to do anything in it except for baselining fluids, not a bad deal.

-H-

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
The price is pre-poor-economy price. I would not pay more than $4500 to maybe $5500 assuming that is junk back there behind the mud flap and not rust, and even if the truck sells at $6500 or $7000 at Seattle demand. FJ62s are a wide ranging truck. You could find assuming you're lucky a comparable truck for 1/3rd the price.

FJ62s are very good, and even superior to a FJ60, once you:

spend $2500-$3000 to switch the auto to a manual transmission 5 speed (H55F - research it in the 60 section on ih8mud.com )

Upgrade springs to Old Man Emu suspension (see www.cruiseroutfitters.com)

they do not build cheaply. I have seen a FJ62 engine condition vary widely from really bad shape to perfect mechanical condition at 200K miles, usually in good shape and poor mechanical condition being rare. They also make reasonably good power, the problem is this type of automatic transmission that sucks close to 30-50% of the power out of the engine (which is also why they get awful mileage). I would guess you can get close to 16 mpg with the 5 speed as well.

For this reason many people are building 80 series land cruisers these days. Better bang for buck but there is just something about a 60 series..

I hope it helps...

I also have a good condition FJ62 transmission I will ship to anyone for $100 shipped if anyone is interested. I can't bring myself to recycle it as it is good. It is over 200K but is totally solid... :)

Ducks

Adventurer
First, there needs to be absolutely no rust on it. It's also priced too high. I think $6k is the absolute highest I would go. I paid $4600 for my fj60 and it was spotless and had no dents or rust. You should also seriously look into swapping in a manual h55 transmission. The fj62 becomes much more lively once you get rid of that auto. Good luck. :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman