How are you guys securing / mounting storage bins (action packer) on the roof rack?

aleks77

Just wondering how everyone is mounting their action packers or other storage bins on their roof racks? Ratchet Straps?

Also what about securing them to the roof rack, i know even action packers have a spot for a lock, but what about someone taking the whole bin off the roof?

Thanks for any suggestions!

SulVento

Wanderer
I use Pelican cases on the cargo rack, secured with 1" ratchet straps and and with a locking cable routed through the padlocks that secure the case.

My Action Packers are typically in the rear cargo area and just strapped down.

Not cheap by any means, but Swag Offroad has an excellent product known as "Baja Bins" that accomodate both the 8 and 24 gallon Action Packers.

Seen HERE

Expedition Leader
Just wondering how everyone is mounting their action packers or other storage bins on their roof racks? Ratchet Straps?

Yep, ratchet straps. It may not be obvious in these photos, but there are action packers, jerry cans, tent, an astronomical telescope and tripod, and a field kitchen on my Gobi:

airingdowntheFJC.jpg

mightyMarenwheeler.jpg

Also what about securing them to the roof rack, i know even action packers have a spot for a lock, but what about someone taking the whole bin off the roof?

Are you going to leave them on the rack all the time? I only put mine on when I'm on a wheeling/camping trip; not much worry of anyone stealing anything where I go, but YMMV. Locking/securing them would just make them a nuisance to use IMO.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
I like cambuckle tie downs. Don't have a rack mounted right now otherwise would post pics. :ylsmoke:

aleks77

Well im gonna be sleeping in the car, so thinking of leaving my shovel/axe/action packer with camping equipment, jerry can, on the roof rack for the night.

I found lockstraps.com , locking tie down straps, but not quiet sure how to make these work for holding down an action packer....

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I ratchet-strap my Pelican and bag chairs. "1 1/2 fits pefectly through the guides on the Pelican (its a big one).

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
I know what you are trying to figure out, but it mainly depends on your level of paranoia. Ratchet straps and cargo nets only keep honest people honest. There simply isn't a way to make any thing about vehicles truly theft proof.

I use ratchet straps and a small cargo net to make it a pain in the butt to take stuff off. Otherwise I put valuables in the cab when not driving.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: ☺®Raingler Nets and Ratchet straps, won't use a rack basket-

Auxcooler004.jpg

Sawmillllakejune12027.jpg

PICT0106.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998