How are you protecting your gas tank?

macdrew77

My gas tank is taking an absolute beating as I attempt to tackle more and more difficult obstacles. What have you guys done that has worked? Are the gas tank skid plates from ADD enough to protect from hard hits? Curious about a gas tank lift, but I don't plan to body lift my truck. I'd rather install 30mm lift Lovells coil springs.

MontySquareo

What generation? On my gen 3 I've dragged the gas tank over some stuff but the plastic seems to hold it's shape.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I'd recommend something custom if you're wheeling hard, the aftermarket tank skids are okay and slightly better than stock but they also trap rocks and it's a real bummer when those rocks wear a hole in the tank. I'd raise the tank, do a 1-3/4" tube hoop around the front of the gas tank, this is the hardest hit spot and it'll protect the panhard rod as well. Then run a flat 1/4" plate from the tubing to the rear crossmember. This makes a smooth transition and the gravel falls out easy enough. I'll find a picture...

macdrew77

I'd recommend something custom if you're wheeling hard, the aftermarket tank skids are okay and slightly better than stock but they also trap rocks and it's a real bummer when those rocks wear a hole in the tank. I'd raise the tank, do a 1-3/4" tube hoop around the front of the gas tank, this is the hardest hit spot and it'll protect the panhard rod as well. Then run a flat 1/4" plate from the tubing to the rear crossmember. This makes a smooth transition and the gravel falls out easy enough. I'll find a picture...
Can I get much of a gas tank lift with the stock SR body lift? That plus 30mm lift coils might get my tank out of trouble until I get around to fabbing custom skids.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Can I get much of a gas tank lift with the stock SR body lift? That plus 30mm lift coils might get my tank out of trouble until I get around to fabbing custom skids.
An inch or so I'd say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior