How cheap can I start out?

4x4junkie

Explorer
I'm in college: not well off, but with potential to eventually get a cheap 4x4.

So, I'm wondering how cheap can I start off overlanding? Wheeling is one thing, but I kind of want to sleep in the back of my vehicle (Jeep Wrangler is likewise too small). I've been thinking about 90s Cherokees and 4runners, so still a light SUV that I can sort of just curl up on the bench seat of.

Maintenance is also a thing to consider. I want to avoid spending money on maintenance. Fuel econ is a small consideration because I know that most older cheap light SUVs are going to get terrible mileage that won't be offset by buying a more expensive vehicle.

So: older, cheaper light SUV with a consideration leaning towards somewhat lower maintenance. Performance should be fine for what I'm comfortable attempting with most light SUVs, since I'm not planning on doing anything tremendously technical (which doesn't mean not technical at all).

Some great suggestions already given, but one I would add to your list you might not have considered yet is the earlier Ford Explorer ('91-'94).
Has good strong axles that are capable of turning some decent-sized rubber, the 4.0L V6 should do 250K+ easy if well-maintained (same goes for the manual transmission), nice sturdy body-on-frame structure, and is dirt-cheap on the used market, even for well-cared-for specimens with low miles. MPG is commonly around 22-24 hwy & 15-17 in-town with the stickshift. Aftermarket support is also extremely good due to their Ranger pickup lineage.
Only caveat would be to avoid the automatic transmissions. Unless you add on things like an external cooler, etc., they can drive up the maintenance cost more so than with the other vehicles you're considering.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
ive had both cherokee and toyota.

CHEROKEE
dont buy anything before a 92, closed cooliing system, BA5/10 manual transmissions, non HO

TOYOTA
do NOT buy a 3.0L i dont care what they say about them being rebuilt or "ive never had a problem". only buy a 3.oL if you are planning a 3.4L swap but where your on a budget i doubt you will be doing a swap.

both have huge aftermarket followings, parts are fairly cheap

ElCaminoManT

C'mon, don't bulls**t me
ive had both cherokee and toyota.

CHEROKEE
dont buy anything before a 92, closed cooliing system, BA5/10 manual transmissions, non HO

TOYOTA
do NOT buy a 3.0L i dont care what they say about them being rebuilt or "ive never had a problem". only buy a 3.oL if you are planning a 3.4L swap but where your on a budget i doubt you will be doing a swap.

both have huge aftermarket followings, parts are fairly cheap

can you elaborate a bit more as far as the cooling systems and non HO vs HO?

thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12