How Do You Carry an Axe, Shovel and High Lift?

atavuss

Adventurer
I have a post WWll 1/4 Bantam civilian trailer and I want to carry a shovel, axe, and high lift jack on it. I have a few quick fists laying around and since the fenders are round I did not want to mount them on the fenders. thought about using a Pioneer tool rack like the military M37 Dodge trucks had but that would make my tail gate too heavy. I have a spare tire mounted on the front outside of the bed so that area is already taken. I usually have a Hobie Pro Angler kayak on the racks and sometimes I carry a Hobie Outback on top of the Pro Angler as well.
trailer.jpg

Last edited:

TacoDell

Adventurer
Normally I use my hands... 'cause feet suck.

I carry an axe with my right hand,
an shovel with my left...
the the hi lift is simply slung between my legs. :p

Oh wait... maybe you were asking how it is...
that folk are mounting these tools to their trailers ? :oops: :hehe:

jesusgatos

Explorer
Seems like kind of a silly question, but take a look at the pioneer racks that came on deuce and a halfs (old military trucks).

Errant

Explorer
Hmmm I was just thinking the same thing this weekend. Mine's an M100, so no tailgate. A pioneer rack on the back might be just the ticket, but I'd like to see what other ideas everyone has.

Sangster

Adventurer
You could probably rig up a way to mount them to the underside of the kayak rack. That's what I would try to do.

atavuss

Adventurer
jesusgatos-
my civilian Bantam has a tailgate, like I mentioned in my original post a pioneer tool rack would make the tailgate too heavy.

Sangster,
I was thinking of mounting them on the kayak racks but wanted to see if there were any other ideas out there. I also thought about using the quick fists to mount the gear along the top outside area of the trailer.

gasman

Adventurer
just a thought here???? how often do ya really use them tools. i know everybody wants everything readily accsessible i need it now i use the axe once or twice a day , i have had my high lift 4 yrs . only used it a few times, glad i had it though,, shovel , for diggin the outhouse, how bout a rack underneath the the trailer . the jack is heavy .. COG within reach of course.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I keep mine right up in front... I just made sure to buy some with composite handles to stave off the rot on the wood. The jack can be gotten to in about 10 seconds... the shovel takes about a minute because you can't slide it out, you have to take the wing nuts all the way off.

Sorry for the poor picture... Can't seem to find one without something in the way.

img_5801.jpg

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I carry my shovel on my rear bumper

001-2.jpg

My HiLift on my recovery box, which is moveable to just about any where required in my cargo area

002.jpg

I carry my AX in my trailer

PICT0035-1.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

wild1

Adventurer
I wouldn't rule out a tool rack on the tailgate. I carry my axe and shovel on mine and the weight is a non issue but it is a clean out of the way area in my application. The high lift could be mounted below the tailgate to act as a bumper.

Attachments

• 2010AugBrthsYNP 067.JPG
    2010AugBrthsYNP 067.JPG
    666.9 KB · Views: 119

highlandercj-7

Explorer
One of the guys on here hard mounted several highlifts on the corners of his trailer to use them as leveling jacks. You could easily mount one back there to serve as dual purpose. Also check out the H-1 Pioneer rack.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't rule out a tool rack on the tailgate. I carry my axe and shovel on mine and the weight is a non issue but it is a clean out of the way area in my application. The high lift could be mounted below the tailgate to act as a bumper.
I would carry a an front end loader if I ould!:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears