How do you deal with snow on the pop-up?

Joeprunc

Observer
....steering back to the topic ;).....

I was up in Tahoe last weekend with the snow on the camper...Friday thru Sunday. I'm also interested in this topic.

Another member I talked to recommended the telescoping ladder and a snow broom.

I was able to lower the roof no problem this weekend, but couldn't my vent to use the fantastic fan to help pull the canvas in. But felt like an idiot driving home with 12"-16" of snow on the top.
I think I'm going to install foldable steps to access the roof once its down....then broom the snow off.

Also curious how you work with frozen locks? I've read lock graphite, or WD40 to keep water away.

whwv

Observer
....steering back to the topic ;).....

I was up in Tahoe last weekend with the snow on the camper...Friday thru Sunday. I'm also interested in this topic.

Another member I talked to recommended the telescoping ladder and a snow broom.

I was able to lower the roof no problem this weekend, but couldn't my vent to use the fantastic fan to help pull the canvas in. But felt like an idiot driving home with 12"-16" of snow on the top.
I think I'm going to install foldable steps to access the roof once its down....then broom the snow off.

Also curious how you work with frozen locks? I've read lock graphite, or WD40 to keep water away.

The deadbolt lock froze but I was able to unfreeze it by heating the lock with a lighter I keep in the cab of the truck. I'm thinking a bit of silicon lubricant spray will help prevent the ice build up. Works great on my AT skis so I think it will help a bit with the lock.

Thanks to the ideas in the thread, I think I'm going to get a telescoping ladder and either a broom or that cool snohoe.

Cruiser79

Observer
Maybe you can mount something like this on the side of your roof:

[video]https://youtu.be/iWlVy2RsY60[/video]

Before you go skiing or boarding you pull the slab over your roof with a rope, and when you want to lower your roof just roll it.

liftedlimo

Adventurer
I never thought of using a rope! That's brilliant. Id need to remove my racks on top before hand.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Cruiser79

Observer
Isn't it an idea to pull a kind of canvas cover over the roof that covers the roof and the softsides? And then connect it to the mainbody with zips or buttons. It could work as insulation as well because there will be a closed space with air between the cover and the original softsides. In case of snow you can loosen 3 sides and just pull it of the roof.
Could it work or is it just a useless idea? Or does it already exists?

Edit:
Found a picture of a Westfalia van with an isolation 'hat'. That's what I was thinking of.

SAM_0185.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998