How Do You Mount Your Fire Extinguisher?

chet6.7

Explorer
I carry my fire extinguishers in my PU bed tool box,I want quicker access.
I am looking for cab mounting and bed mounting options that would be secure in a vehicle crash.
Thanks.

4xdog

Explorer
Here's the one in my 1962 Triumph TR3. There's not often a passenger, and having it close by is prudent planning on a car like that. It's an H3R Performance bracket -- kind of pricey given some other options, but it gave me ways to mount it that made sense in the TR.

I'll be doing something similar in my Tacoma next in a few weeks.

i-PvKLmcB-X3.jpg

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Have mounted them to the floor but the one in the TJ is soft mounted to the roll bar.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• DSCF0288.JPG
    DSCF0288.JPG
    702 KB · Views: 57

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Most of the mounts out there are pretty flimsy for bouncing around off road, so I modified my mount before installing in my 2005 Dodge 2500. Basically, took two mounts, cut them up so I could have two straps on a single mount, then bolted to the floor on outside edge of driver's seat.photo 1b.JPGphoto 2b.JPGphoto 3b.JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 3a.JPG
I cut off the neck cradle so that I could pull the extinguisher out sideways rather than vertically. That flap of seat cover hiding the extinguisher is part of the Wet Okole covers and just swings away for quick access.

toddz69

Explorer
Most of the mounts out there are pretty flimsy for bouncing around off road, so I modified my mount before installing in my 2005 Dodge 2500. Basically, took two mounts, cut them up so I could have two straps on a single mount, then bolted to the floor on outside edge of driver's seat.View attachment 470695View attachment 470696View attachment 470697View attachment 470698View attachment 470699
I cut off the neck cradle so that I could pull the extinguisher out sideways rather than vertically. That flap of seat cover hiding the extinguisher is part of the Wet Okole covers and just swings away for quick access.

I must've gotten lucky as both the mounts I have came stock with the dual clamps on them. They work very well in my regular street/trail Bronco and also in our race Bronco that bounces through Baja every year. They're mounted on our tunnel covers and are very easy to access - key when you've got smoke and flames.

Todd Z.

ripperj

Explorer
My 5 pounder rides in a 5 gallon bucket with rain gear and tow straps jammed behind my seat. Pretty cheesy, but well padded and protected and easy to get to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
What's the go to extinguisher type/brand?

Short answer, as always, "It depends." There was a very long extinguisher thread on this board a few years ago with good contributions from an actual well trained firefighter. Search should turn it up. I went with Halon because of all the electronics on modern trucks (mine is an '05 and the newer ones are even more electronically dense). Halon is pretty much banned for new production, so expensive to recharge, but there are substitutes available that are not as effective. If you drive an old rig like a Jeep or a Bronco, Halon or substitute is not necessary and not even optimal. If you are worried about flammable liquid fires (oil and gas), then Purple-K is probably the way to go. If you want to keep it simple, then go with USCG-approved dry chemical units. Some of the extinguisher manufacturers have comparison charts on their websites with a lot of good info.

sargeek

Adventurer
Fire extinguishers need to be secured very well so they do not become flying projectiles in a high speed roll over. I like double loop brackets:Double Strap Bracket.

Over the top fire protection - Ansul Cartridge Operated Fire Extinguishers: Cartridge Extinguishers

My go to fire extinguisher - Amerex 2.5# w/ double strap bracket: Amerex and what I have in most vehicles I own.

What I avoide, fire extinguishers with plastic heads and the plastic mounting brackets - better than nothing, but not impressed with their long term survival.

These are pretty cool mounts: Mount

2.ooohhh

I use an Amerex aviation mounting bracket for my 5lb unit. More secure than the single strap it came with, slightly more robust and just as quick to action.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Mounts are very important, not just for the projectile, but for vibration. In my college days, I used to keep an extinguisher sort of bouncing around on the back seat / floor of my blazer. One day driving down the highway I hear a pop, a whoosh, and I’m treated to a noxious cloud of death inducing highway distraction.

Sure enough, the valve failed due to ... ??? Vibration??? Sure... whatever...

Does anyone want to guess how long an interior wiring harness lasts in a moist climate after being completely coated by superfine ammonium sulfate powder? I’ll give you a hint... less than 3 months...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179