How Do you Secure Expensive Camera Gear in Your Car while Travelling?

fike

Adventurer
A pelican case will be no match for an axe, of course the gear inside will be trashed too, it's just a plastic case ( although a very nice one, I have two)
The handle can probably be cut off the case with a hacksaw in about 60 seconds I don't think they have any steel in the them. The only place to cable lock a smaller pelican case is thru the handle or the pad lock that can lock it closed. Neither would hold up to a saw( the case, not the lock), but I'm not sure how many thieves wander around with a hacksaw.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. That is sort of the confirmation I was looking for. So I guess I am onto one of these. http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-287-tactical-security-lockbox-19-78w-x-35-78l-x-8-1516h.aspx

ripperj

Explorer
That looks much more robust, and the price is not outrageous, pelican cases are not cheap, but do include the foam that you will have to add to the gun safe. For some reason the pluck foam is very expensive, and does not even hold up that well, imho you are better off using solid foam and cutting it out.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

photo_i

Explorer
Not to pick on you, Photo i, but yes of course a determined pink panther thief will get anything they really want. I am not concerned with that relatively rare species of thief. I am concerned with the meth-addicted scumbag with an ax who smashes out my window and reaches for expensive camera gear.

Most of us park in remote places and go for long hikes. Sometimes crummy people are on the prowl for easy targets.

And what would meth addicted scumbag be doing in remote places? :). But I guess it is possible.... Just like a Pink Panther Thief. :) Lock box in one of the bumpers? Lenses are narrow, should fit in tight space.

tuffy

Observer
Thanks. That is sort of the confirmation I was looking for. So I guess I am onto one of these. http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-287-tactical-security-lockbox-19-78w-x-35-78l-x-8-1516h.aspx
I may be biased, but reading through this, I would agree that this large lockbox will be your best bet. There's a quick-release on BOTH sides for a 3/8" cable - the quick-release latches are 1/4" thick plate steel! It's carpeted inside already, so items you don't use foam for are still protected.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
This one looks a bit better for me, but I still need to figure out how to secure it to the floor of a car with that crummy thin wood floor that covers the spare-tire well in the back.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-96-super-security-storage-trunk.aspx

Is it more than a coincidence, Tuffy, that your username corresponds to a product you are recommending?

Why not drill the holes through the floor, then get a piece of metal and drill through that. Then bolt is and sandwich the floor between the box and metal.

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
Hide it in the spare tire compartment. That's hard enough to find if you don't know it's there, an if they DO find it.......nothing can stop a determined thief.

fike

Adventurer
Hide it in the spare tire compartment. That's hard enough to find if you don't know it's there, an if they DO find it.......nothing can stop a determined thief.
That's kind of a good idea, but it makes it really hard to quickly retrieve gear when you are loaded up and you see a grizzly bear wrestling with a mountain lion on top of a waterfall.

I am leaning towards this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201095623510&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123 secured to the car with a cable or two.

photo_i

Explorer
That's kind of a good idea, but it makes it really hard to quickly retrieve gear when you are loaded up and you see a grizzly bear wrestling with a mountain lion on top of a waterfall.

I thought that you were looking for a safe storage for expensive stuff while you away? Hard to retrieve is the answer to burglary, no ? :) When you are back from the trail just keep your lenses handy.

DCGibbs

Observer
When Traveling by Air on Commercial Airliner - A LOCKED "Stormcase iM2727" - I have two of them, one for video camera, lenses, boom, slider, travel rail. The 2nd is for Film & Digital Camera bodies, lenses, tri-pod, and mono-pod.

When traveling in the Subaru Forester, or Toyota LandCruiser - I may have the same Stormcase strapped down, but I designed and built a "Travel Tray", that is lined with closed cell foam, and Velcro straps. The camera's and potentially use Lense are strapped, to prevent up going airborne, or damaged by slamming on the brakes...
If we park for lunch, or are going to be away from the vehicle (Hiking, Fishing, Etc) I cover the Tray with a white Nylon/Terry cover my wife sowed.
We always bring the Video and Cameras; if we are staying away from the vehicle [like in a Hotel/motel/cabin/yurt]...
David C. Gibbs - Boise, ID

DCGibbs

Observer
Yesterday, I needed to grab a tool sack out of the back of the Forester, and re-discovered the tray above the spare. With a little modification, it could be used as a day-use tray. Glue it to a thin plywood panel, Strap loops, Velcro tie-downs. Just a thought. DcG

fike

Adventurer
Yesterday, I needed to grab a tool sack out of the back of the Forester, and re-discovered the tray above the spare. With a little modification, it could be used as a day-use tray. Glue it to a thin plywood panel, Strap loops, Velcro tie-downs. Just a thought. DcG

The problem with that is with the car stacked with camping gear, it is a bit of a pain to get into that particular compartment. I do stow the camera and computer gear in the makeshift drawers when I leave the car, but I am looking for something more secure and at the same time more ergonomic and elegant.
LeavingHome-E-M5-20002.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle