How do you transport firewood in your trailer?

kraqus

Norcalwood
I am brainstorming about designing a box for this purpose.
The box will go in the tongue area of my trailer.
How do transport firewood?
Post a pic if you have one.

Thanks!

Benny

Last edited:

Woods

Explorer
I use an inexpensive rack that I got at harbor freight. It might be too large for the front of your trailer. Here's a pick with my smudge pot loaded in it.

That's a tree behind the smudge pot, so no, I'm not growing a plant in my smudge pot...

smudge.jpg

refried

Adventurer
I needed some extra tongue weight on my raft trailer so I picked up a box at Walmart for about $30.00. It holds a good amount of wood without deforming in the heat, and It gives me a place to put charcoal or other dirty stuff I don't want in the trailer.
trailer001-1-1.jpg

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
FYI it's illegal to transport firewood very far in many locales, so as to control the spread of the emerald ash borer, gypsy moths, etc.

Here are a few of the regs in Minnesota for example:

It is against the law to bring unapproved firewood into any state park, state forest or day-use area (M.S. 89.551 Sec 2 Subd.3b). Approved wood can be obtained from DNR approved firewood vendors.

National Forests: The Chippewa and Superior National Forests prohibit firewood originating outside of Minnesota on their lands.

Voyageurs National Park: Only DNR approved firewood may be brought into the park.

Army Corps of Engineers Recreation Areas: Firewood must be obtained within 100 miles of site, or certified as pest free.

kraqus

Norcalwood
FYI it's illegal to transport firewood very far in many locales, so as to control the spread of the emerald ash borer, gypsy moths, etc.

Good point. I will have to look into CA Park regulations.

Benny

Kcdude

Adventurer
I have a couple of old recycle bins...heavy duty with carry/tiedown handles...fits split firewood laying longways down in the bin and they stack nicely when empty.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 84

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I started to reply yesterday and work got in the way. Most folks I know on the East Coast don't transport firewood for this reason. Some state and federal campgrounds even require a receipt showing it's local wood, I know I was asked once in the Adirondacks for it....

Lucky j

Explorer
Up here un Quebec, it is more a recomandation then a regulation, and then you are following a logging semi-trailer that goes from one side of the province to the other. Go figure!

But I do understand the regulation and think they required. But at the same time, Wonder if there is not also an economic issue behind part of this, since paying 5,00$ for a small arm load of wood make it pretty expensive and lucrative.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Up here un Quebec, it is more a recomandation then a regulation, and then you are following a logging semi-trailer that goes from one side of the province to the other. Go figure!

But I do understand the regulation and think they required. But at the same time, Wonder if there is not also an economic issue behind part of this, since paying 5,00$ for a small arm load of wood make it pretty expensive and lucrative.

There are many invasive species of bugs and beetles that carry hefty fines if you are caught transporting them, even if it's unintentional in your firewood.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I myself bring a bit of wood in a large medical sales duffel bag with wheels I found at the thrift store last year, it's waterproof and has several zipped compartments on top for dog food and their bowls.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I can fit three grocery store sized bundles of firewood into a large Action Packer, along with leather gloves, a small axe, a hatchet, and a jug of lighter fluid, and some fire starter sticks. It all stays in the box in my trailer, and then we use the Action Packer as seat placed near the fire ring.

luk4mud

Explorer
I use a large blue Ikea shopping bag with a compression strap on it. Simple and strong. Folds up nicely when the wood makes it to camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman