How Durable Are Gutter Mounts For Awnings?

I'd like to get an awning for my Chevy Express but I don't have a roof rack and don't really want one. I came across some gutter mount brackets but wonder how they hold up for off road use. The last thing I need is having an awning fall off.

Apparently I'm pretty rough on my stuff since I broke 3 Aluminess spare tire racks, so am I too rough that I'll break my gutter or a gutter clamp?

I'm not super opposed to a low profile roof bar if there are significant strength gains to be had. but I have no experience with this stuff and don't want to learn the hard way.

Taco-Bender

I'm not sure how the gutter mount would work/attach without cross bars to hold it all together. Would you have a link?

Edit: Never mind. Googled and found these. Off road I'm not sure if i'd like that lower part of the bracket pressing and banging against my vehicle though.

Last edited:
That's part of my concern. It seems like a weak setup but I can't say without knowing. I'd love to hear the experience of anyone who has used these.

I don't want to hear wind noise on the highway which is why I don't want a rack, can anyone recommend some aerodynamic load bars that don't whistle or howl at 75mph?

Scotty D

I have a fiama awning with gutter mounts on my westfalia and they are extremely durable.
Dont see how they would work on my express though as they need an exposed B pillar for the lower tab to rest against.
You could easily mount it on the drivers side but not the passenger .

grampswrx

Observer
On a Chevy express you have to drill through the body. They don’t have gutter mounts that are completely external like on the fords. I bought a set of the mounts for my express but since it’s a full sportsmobile build out it’s too much work to remove everything to get to the backside of the wall.

I’ll cut you a great deal on the mounts if you want them. I bought them from sportsmobile directly for $200. Essentially they sandwich the wall of the van between two plates and just use the gutter to stay in the proper place vertically. If you have a cargo or passenger van, it would be a simple install. If you used a backing plate bigger than the washers the kit comes with, it would probably hold up ok off road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I’ll cut you a great deal on the mounts if you want them. I bought them from sportsmobile directly for $200. Essentially they sandwich the wall of the van between two plates and just use the gutter to stay in the proper place vertically. If you have a cargo or passenger van, it would be a simple install. If you used a backing plate bigger than the washers the kit comes with, it would probably hold up ok off road.

On a Chevy express you have to drill through the body. They don’t have gutter mounts that are completely external like on the fords. I bought a set of the mounts for my express but since it’s a full sportsmobile build out it’s too much work to remove everything to get to the backside of the wall.

PM sent to you on brackets

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle