How high is too high for Tacoma mileage?

turnerc7

Greetings!

I work for an outdoor educational company in Southern California called Guided Discoveries. We operate three locations on Catalina Island, the roads are rough and we are always cycling through vehicles.

I have just started looking at Tacomas, and wondered what mileage I should be looking at. I know that Toyota's have a reputation for being very sturdy and lasting for quite a long time, what exactly does that mean in your experience?

So...for 18K max, what should the mileage be?

Is there anything else I should look for?

Thanks in advance for your time and experience!

JLee

Adventurer
I sold my '99 with almost 283k miles on it. The new owner has had it for over a year now and he's still thrilled with it. If you keep them from rusting, they'll last forever. I've had a couple of the 3.4l 5VZ-FE trucks - I don't have any experience with the newer ones, but I would expect them to last just as well.

D

Deleted member 96197

I second what's been said above, RUST and maintenance are way better deciding factors on a tacoma, or most toyota trucks, than mileage is.

ol' scott

Adventurer
I've owned two 3.4 liter driven vehicles (current '02 Tacoma and a '99 4Runner) and I confidently purchased them with 130k+ miles. I owned a 2.7 liter truck, purchased with ~90k and sold at 190k to a friend father. He's beat the poop out of it and it's still running strong with 330k miles. As others have said, maintenance and rust are the two things to look for.

turnerc7

It is super restrictive but we have interior permits so we can essentially have as many vehicles as we need. We probably have about 30 vehicles on the island currently. Everything from a Jeep Wrangler X to roll off, stake bed and cement trucks.

I would like to thank everyone for their input. I suspected as much but appreciate the reinforcement.

Cheers!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The 3.4 is good for 330-350. Bearing failures start to show up after that. All modern the Toyota engines seem to be good for 300k today. Avoid the 3.0 v6 from the early 90s and your good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998