How is the DeLorme PN-40?

Stan the Man

Adventurer
I've been meaning to get my hands on a good GPS system and never got around to it because when I priced it out, it was really expensive. This was about a year ago when the new Garmin Colorado/Oregon's were coming out and they weren't tickling my fancy for the money.

Time passed and I made the mistake of taking a look at a handful of units at REI the other day. This got me thinking and researching again. It looks like (and what the REI guy told me) the DeLorme package is the best bang for the buck. It seemed like a solid unit, great mapping, and the package deal was great for the money. Its hard to beat getting a GPS, national topo, and street view for ~$400 (Amazon has the package for $290).

The second best option I talked to the guy about was getting a Garmin Etrex Vista HCx, the national topo (100k:1), and Garmin's street view. This would put me at ~$400 as well. I'm shying away from this option because the Vista is older technology and I'm digging the Hybrid maps and speed of the DeLorme.

Now can you guys give me some feedback on the PN-40 or any other unit for that matter. I'd like to stay under $400 for the whole shebang. The REI guy told me that the DeLorme is harder to use out of the box and has a longer learning curve; is this true?

Thanks,
Stan

rambrush

Adventurer
Walmart has had the unit on sale for around the $250.00 mark as well. check there website maybe its still there

Delorme comes with topo maps Garmin does not. Delorme topo's are 1:24 scale Garmin's are different. Garmin's are not as good. Some say the Delorme has battery issues but if you get the aftermarket battery things will be much better.
I have the 20 which works just fine but slower than the 40.
The other key issue is cust service Delorme's is better in my opinion. Have you checked out www.forum.delorme.com and ran through there yet? Also check out http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11

yubert

Explorer
I think the DeLorme PN series is a good deal for the $$ because you get that nation-wide topo plus option for aerial data. If you don't need an electronic compass or barometric altimeter, then the PN-30 could save you some $$.

I got a Magellan Triton 500 and the Nat'l Geo Topo maps but I'm less than impressed because the trails are represented as raster data, not vector. So I often have to zoom in or out to see the name of a trail. Plus having to buy the maps for each state is a big negative.

Also the screens for hand-held GPS is too small to use while driving. I ended using a Nuvi 500 for off-road. It has topo data for the whole USA and sells for less than $300. The topo data is detailed enough for the off-road traveling I do.

I have the Delorme PN 40. I am still learning how to use it as I droped it the second week I owned it and broke the screen! That being said the customer service was outstanding! They repaired it and got it back to me start to finish in two weeks and 47.00 including shipping. The reason I purchased a Delorme was portabilty. I ride bicycle, kayak and overland and use the unit for all. The cost from Crutchfield was 325.00 including a RAM mount for my bicycle. I recently purchased a RAM mount for the truck for 25.00 from backcountry outlet.com The software for my computer is challenging my computer skills but still learning. I considered others (to many to list) and found the PN 40 best for me.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
I didn't get to play with the PN-40 in store because the batteries died, but can you enter an address on the unit and it'll route you to it or can you only program directions on the computer before you leave the house?

Anybody know why they said the DeLorme is not as user friendly as a Garmin or Magellan?

rambrush

Adventurer
As with all gps units, if you are used to a particular manufactures controls going to another is going to be a relearning experience.. Delorme has a few more steps from what I understand. I don't find the delorme to be difficult to operate.
As for address yes you can enter the info and it will get you there. you can view the address or it can route you there.

jbs

Observer
I like my PN-40 a lot except for battery life. It is horrible in my opinion. I do lots of all-day hikes with the family and like to leave it on to save the track. I get 1-2 hikes per set of batteries. I have the DeLorme rechargeable and it is worse. Fully charged, it doesn't show full on the battery indicator (could be due to the voltage diff between NiMH and Li), and doesn't even last that long. They specify Li batteries only (no cheap alkaline), so it ~$5 per set.

That said, I like the interface and the map options. It just works better for occasional use (like how you would pull out a map now and then during a hike).

The software (transferring maps and waypoints) also only works with Windows which I don't have.

fishbum

Observer
I have a PN-40 and use both alkalines and NiMH rechargables. I bought some aftermarket Sanyo Eneloops and I can get over 12 hrs with those.
Not sure what JBS is referring to, the unit can use quite a few battery types and there is a setting for each so the voltage differences are negated.
The Li-Ion rechargeable pack they sell with their travel kit is not the most robust battery, I only get 6-7 hrs our of that, which is why I bought the higher capacity batteries.
My thoughts:
1) Their software has a steeper learning curve, because it's a real mapping/navigation program... There are no pull-down and pop-up menus like other software because that's the last thing you want to see when navigating! All the functionality is in the tabs across the bottom of the screen.
2) Cutting map packages to transfer to the handheld also has a steep curve, but once you get it the packages are easy to create. Keep in mind - we're talking about transferring multiple layers of map and imagery data here, not just topo data. So naturally there is an additional layer of complexity. And since no other GPS has this capability I have nothing to compare it to!

Last edited:

jbs

Observer
I have a PN-40 and use both alkalines and NiMH rechargables. I bought some aftermarket Sanyo Eneloops and I can get over 12 hrs with those.
Not sure what JBS is referring to, the unit can use quite a few battery types and there is a setting for each so the voltage differences are negated.
The Li-Ion rechargeable pack they sell with their travel kit is not the most robust battery, I only get 6-7 hrs our of that, which is why I bought the higher capacity batteries.

I think you're right; I was thinking about the Spot that specifies Li batteries only. Well they're both orange! In any case, I was not happy with the battery life with Li batteries. With rechargeable NiMH it is not as big an issue cost-wise, so I may need to switch to those. Not a dealbreaker, just a drawback. I do like the unit on the whole though.

rambrush

Adventurer
The factory Li On does indeed suck. There is a guy on E-bay selling replacements that charge like the factory unit. It is larger and lasts much longer. You do have to modify the battery door slightly for it to fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle