how "livable" would this setup be on my 98?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have been tossing around different ideas on setups and came up with a few. The main one would be running the OME heavy duty lift with 35's and swapping my 4.27 gears/3rd member with some 4.63's out of a junkyard SR. I also plan to do a few things to get the engine breathing better and swap in an electric fan to free up a few hp. I would be pulling the sway bars off too.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
That's effectively my setup sans ARB springs... I just used 2" coil spring spacers. However, my 96 SR with DOHC has a smidgen more grunt than yours. Not too much mind you but good enough.

Also my engine is not modified for any increased HP.

Having said that, it's no where near as fast as it was with the stock sized tires but its quick enough IMHO. Then again I'm not expecting great acceleration but its fine enough to get around, pass big rigs, merge onto the freeway, etc... Heck I can reachtriple digits if I wanted (and not much more mind you LOL).

If you're expecting a lot of acceleration however, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
That's effectively my setup sans ARB springs... I just used 2" coil spring spacers. However, my 96 SR with DOHC has a smidgen more grunt than yours. Not too much mind you but good enough.

Also my engine is not modified for any increased HP.

Having said that, it's no where near as fast as it was with the stock sized tires but its quick enough IMHO. Then again I'm not expecting great acceleration but its fine enough to get around, pass big rigs, merge onto the freeway, etc... Heck I can reachtriple digits if I wanted (and not much more mind you LOL).

If you're expecting a lot of acceleration however, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Keep in mind we have elevation to deal with, I just want to be able to set the cruise at 70 and not worry about overheating the transmission while it searches for gears a million times going up the pass. And I think I read somewhere there are 4.9ish gears available for the Montero.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yes 4.90's are available via the Sports. I have a set I'm going to be installing. Iirc they're off an 01 3.5l sport but you need to double check that. If nobody can confirm on here check on 4x4wire.

At altitudes from sea level to say 5k I've had no problem maintaining 75-85mph cruising speeds (or even 100 for short bursts) but I apply liberal use of the OD off switch or downshifting to 2nd in order to accelerate more quickly as needed. The transmission is quite robust as long as you have good airflow to can keep it cool it will maintain those speeds and acceleration.

In mine admittedly it feels taxed going up steeper inclines in the Sierra's such as Donner Pass etc, but IMHO no more than other lifted big tire 4x4's. On the other hand, my expectation is it will NEVER even in the remotest sense keep up with any stock vehicle like a Jetta, Golf, or even a Chevy Tahoe, or pathfinder, etc. I take to heart that it's a 5K lbs. truck on 6" taller than stock tires on larger than stock rims weighing a combined 75lbs each being pushed by a 15+ YO engine that's NEVER been rebuilt or "Performance" tuned.

If you're thinking you'll be able to keep up with your girlfriend in her sport sedan on those hills then you have the wrong expectation. Unless you start adding more HP/Torque or gearing, you simply won't be keeping up with her.

Your expectation should be that you'll be keeping up with other built 4x4s (FJ80's, etc) on 35" tires or possibly passing similarly built Jeep TJ/JK.

HTH.

JamesW

Adventurer
My opinion would be to go lower geared again,I just took the 4.636 axle out of the back of mine and swapped in a 4.875. There is a difference,but it isn't a huge one. I live pretty much at sea level and find that mine will drop a bit of speed going up long hill on the factory size tyres. It will keep speed if you put the foot down a bit,but then you can watch the fuel needle drop too :Wow1: It doesn't slow to a crawl by any means,say if i'm doing 60 at the bottom of the hill,and don't labour the engine too much it will be doing 55 at the top. But on my mud tyres which are 31's (but really heavy) the decrease in power is really noticeable,so I would say choose your tyres really carefully,weight is a big factor,and with a high altitude it will really make a difference

If you are going to be changing ratios you may as well go the whole hog and put in the lowest ones you can find,or maybe keep the 35s on a separate set of rims and have a different set for everyday driving with factory size tyres on it. I do this and while it is a PITA now and again,the amount i'm saving on diesel is huge :sombrero:

If you are swapping axles be aware of the prop flanges on the differential,the 4.875 had a different flange to my 4.636 and I had to use the flange from the donor pajero's prop along with the bolts,and put the flange onto my own prop

On a side note,how hard is it to take out the front differential from one of these things? I must swap mine out for one that matches the ratio of the rear axle

SoCalMonty

Explorer
I'm torn on this one. The truck works hard enough trying to spin the 33's coming up a mountain pass...it's virtually always down a gear and running the rpms up pretty high while I watch the fuel needle swing down.

I know the 4.89 gears aren't a major difference, but I think these would be well suited to 33's, let alone 35's. I would do the gears first if it were my truck, then go 35 after my 33's are done.

35" + altitude + hills + loaded truck = 4k rpm to get anywhere.

Is it your daily driver? If not, it's probably livable. If it's your daily, I'm not sure if I'd run 35's with 4.63's on a DD.

Last edited:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I have a 3.5 SOHC 35x13.5 6 ply M/Ts (very heavy) 4.90 gears, no sway bars and i'm pretty happy with it as a daily driver. It's a little slow uphill to Flagstaff but i take it easy, if you want it to be more streetable go with a narrower tire and A/T

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
We own 5 cars and will never need to use it as a daily driver. My initial thought before buying it was to stick with 33x10.50 km2's to use simply as a camping/expo rig and keep one of the Jeeps on 35's for the more extreme stuff, but now I'm thinking of selling both Jeeps and make the Montero a dual purpose setup. I have several sets of tires to choose from in the garage, so it will not cost much either way.

Last edited:

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Heck, I'd go for it then.

Unfortunately these days, 35's are becoming what 33's were 10 years ago. I am finding 35's are almost required on difficult trails now when you have a LWB, because of all the ruts being dug out by SWBs on 35's. But I used to get by on 33's just fine.

I mean, 33's are still adequate the vast majority of the time, but I do occasionally find myself on an obstacle these days wondering if 35's would help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior