How many miles is to many?

MFoltz

How many miles is to many? This is my question. I have found a 2003 Land Cruiser just south of where I live, and the only holdup is the 242,300 miles on it. Asking price is $7900. Clean car fax, but I cannot see yet if the timing belt has been changed for the second time. The LC was just serviced at my local Toyota dealership, so I can check with them for the service records.

I am currently driving a 2004 Sequoia 4x4 with 147,000 miles that is well sorted, and I love it. I just have been bitten by the LC mystic. Should I even consider this move?

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/623277959/overview/

calicamper

Expedition Leader
M pretty funny

I sold my mint condition all original zero leaks extensive dealer work on replacing old leaky stuff in late 2011 it had 154,000 miles on it. Stock leather package, stock tint ordered originally without running boards no locking diffs for $7000. A 200+K LC should easily be in the $5000 range and you should expect some costs. Front inner axle seals $600 job these typically get ignored and result in the heavy grease at the knuckles being washed out by the gear oil in the diff. Pesky water hose I did that because all the shops broke out laughing when asked if they would do the hose replacement. B-tch of a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then I had ABS harness issues resulting in $1500 worth of labor and parts basically rebuilding the brake lines harness and such.
As I said it was MINT when I sold it.

Guess what I have today? Yep 07 Sequoia 4x4 Limited. Needed the space and the wife likes the smoother ride. The LC I got 12-13mpg the Sequoia typically 16-17mpg with a dramatic improvement in power and cooling capacity.

I love the old LC awesome truck! But far from cheap to keep 100% and not as nice as the Sequoia regarding modern power, safety and ride comfort. Not sure how long I'll keep the Sequoia but the only thing it needs to be beast off road is a rear locker. I have stock sized BFG Rough Terrain's on the Sequoia and we did some trail fun with the local Gwagen guys just north of the Rubicon this summer. Sequoia is a formidable machine however right at the max size for trail breaking. Pretty much the same width as the J80 and only just slightly longer surprisingly.

MTSN

Explorer
OP is talking about a 100 series and calicamper is talking about an 80. 100 series with the same miles are worth far more generally speaking than an 80 (also all the maintenance items calicamper mentions are completely different than what a 100 needs), so to the OP I actually think that 03 you found looks to be a decent deal especially if it's been maintained. The interior looks to be in great shape for the miles, and like I said if it's been maintained well that's not too many miles. Do I think selling an 04 Sequoia with 147k miles for an 03 LC with 242k miles is a good idea? That's for you to decide, but I wouldn't do it. If I was trying to trade up and wanted to keep it for a long time, I'd look for one with lower miles and maybe one that's modified already. If you're looking to simply add the truck and have a fun toy, then I'd say go for it.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yep sorry the 100 series is far far too much like the Sequoia only lacking about 8 inches of floor space in the back. The V8 needs the 100K timing belt water pump service most examples I looked at all needed the service and the sellers especially the dealers were all playing dumb "Got me" shoulder shrug. I did make an offer on a super clean LX470 2003 with 80,000 miles on it shortly before buying the Sequoia. That was a local Toyota dealer owned by one of the largest Auto groups in CA based in LA. They flat out told me they didn't negotiate their published prices. LOL my offer was actually way more than fair $26,000. They called me many times after that lowering the price they wanted $30,000!! LOL Bought the 07 Sequoia from the original owners all records with 64,000 miles on it for no joke $21,000 I had a locally owned 2001 blue LC with 170,000 miles on it not as clean seller wanted $9000 for it sold in like 10 minutes. I did talk to the seller it needed the timing belt service didn't know about it!! eeekkk Original owner

I still think the Sequoia was the better choice given we would have been snug in the LX and we have plenty of space in the Sequoia.
Regarding the V8 and the running gear. Ran into a guy that managed a fleet of Toyota company trucks in Alaska some type of pipe line inspection company and he said they generally run them 350K then do a full tear down and rebuild. He also confirmed that the 100K TB and water pump major service was very much needed. Hope that helps

Last edited:

Expedition Leader
On a 100-series I don't know, but on every other Toyota I've ever had 250K would not stop me from buying one if it had been maintained well. an 80-series and a Sequoia that I previously owned are both still in the family and still running fine and not burning any oil at well over 250K miles each.

98 SNAKE EATER

Adventurer
As long as it's clean and has a clean maintenance record, I don't think any amount of miles is too high :)

I've got 380,xxx miles on my 80 (all original) and I routinely drive back and forth from NYC to Orlando without thinking twice :smiley_drive:

Of course, higher mileage will reflect greatly on the final price, but I wouldn't let high mileage scare me away

zimm

Expedition Leader
second time today....

if its a dd make sure it has all the maint records and be prepared to put out $$ for parts and labor if you cant do it yourself. its an expensive rig new and parts are expensive new. at 240k ANYTHING could be worn out.

ANY car, and i mean ANY car is reliable "if its been well maintained". there is no mystique to toyotas. the d110nas i sold was showroom mint because it was well maintained. ida driven that anywhere. but if a buyer expected that without physically looking at it and seeing the records, he'da have to have been batchit crazy. if you expect to buy a used car with that much mileage and have act like a new one.....

caveat emptor.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
As long as it's clean and has a clean maintenance record, I don't think any amount of miles is too high :)

I've got 380,xxx miles on my 80 (all original) and I routinely drive back and forth from NYC to Orlando without thinking twice :smiley_drive:

Of course, higher mileage will reflect greatly on the final price, but I wouldn't let high mileage scare me away

Watching movies while you drive?

zimm

Expedition Leader

you also eat all night long without thinking twice.

i dont see a point in paying 8000 for something at the end of its life unless its gonna be a dedicated beater/wheeler. and even then.... meh.

NCFJ

Adventurer
Bottom line on all of this is that a vehicle is a sum of it's parts. As stated, if a vehicle is well maintained it will last forever. Sure the motor, trans and T-case along with axles are not cheap to rebuild but it can be done. How much do you waant to invest in a vehicle is the question. A new 200 is in the $75-80K range. Think of the 80 or 100 series you would have if you spent $30-35K on all the maintenance items. Good luck with your choice.

Clutch

<---Pass
you also eat all night long without thinking twice.

i dont see a point in paying 8000 for something at the end of its life unless its gonna be a dedicated beater/wheeler. and even then.... meh.

Yep...she ain't getting any younger.

I would keep on looking. Low mile affordable Sequoias is where I would look. Will do anything a 100 will do. You can find those around the 100K mile mark...for about $10K.

Clutch

<---Pass
Miles is not that too important anymore, the service/repair record is more important.

I would say both are important. I like to look for lower mile unmodified stock vehicles owned by a grumpy old guy or gal...that was OCD about the service/repairs that has all the receipts to back it up...

CYK

Adventurer
I would shy away from people who give advice saying "this thing lasts forever" or at "xxx,xxx miles it's just getting broken in". I bet that if you put money where mouth is, they'd follow the same ol' time tested advice I give to anyone asking me the thread's original question:

Buy the newest, lowest mileage, fewest number of owners, best maintained vehicle within your budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears