How many miles on your Samurai?

pat92

Can't argue that Suzuki did a great job with the Samurai, but how many miles do the little 1.3L engines go for? We all know the reliability of Toyota's engines so where does the Samurai stand. Let's hear about how many miles you've gotten out of your Samurai.

Bigfoot1963

Observer
I wish I knew, My '86 had a '91 engine installed in it out of a salvage yard. In the yellow marking paint they use it says it has 109,000 miles on it. I have no idea how many it has now. All the cylinders show 156 psi which is low, but still runs strong with the weber I have on it.

SRN

Adventurer
We rebuilt my Dad's '87 motor at around 90k because it was smoking. My '86 motor went for about 150k before its rebuild. They are good, solid, simple motors, but I would say that they are nowhere near as reliable as a Toyota 22r.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Lots and lots and lots!

we had a 1.6 8v in it - the problem is that nobody seems to be able to interface with the computer to get the codes out of it!
We've gone to like 4 different shops - nobody can read it!

Donated it to breast cancer research - they just picked it up today.
End of an era - gonna miss it. :eek:(

zukrider

Explorer
thats a tough question. it seems a decently maintained stocker can do 90-200k, depending on maintenance and use. but, a modded(read heavy) sami will kill the longevity of an engine if not geared correctly. so, like i said, tough. i have had 8 sami's, built many ways, all with 1.3's. its all about gearing. but stepping up to a 16 valve is definately a better option!

sross

Adventurer
I have 156,000 or so on mine. Whenever I get around to finishing the engine and transmission rebuild the entire drivetrain will have basically no miles on it. The engine in it now will move the truck around town but over 45 is a struggle. The 4:16 tcase gears made a huge difference. Fortunately, I live in a small city and only drive when it rains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998