how many times have you bonked your head on the FWC door....

wannaby

Adventurer
Just wondering cause I have a palameno popup with full half door and like it but not impresed with the canvas and other issues .....and would like a fwc eventualy but not shure about ducking in the door everytime....anybody....

pods8

Explorer
A taller door would always be nicer but if you're going with any pop up camper it is what it is for the most part. That said since you're usually stepping up and in or down and out I don't really find it to be too much of an issue at 6'.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I love the width,but just a few more inches of height would sure help and not kill the handling and fuel economy. I'd love an ATC when my Northstar dies,but that door... I'm 6'3" and 61 yrs young.

wannaby

Adventurer
ya well I havent hit mine on the palameno but wifey did when she forgot about the halfdoor ill post a pick of mine kind of like the palameno door set up but like I say the canvas needs work like the corners are open at the bottom for about 3 inches...good for bugs to sneak in ...but guess thats what off is for...

pods8

Explorer
For the folks that are hitting what kind of steps do you use getting in? I use a folding 2 step stool so the top step of the stool is 2/3 way up to the camper so I'm still stepping up/into the camper. Are some of you hitting/scraping using taller steps in which you're no longer stepping upwards and just inwards?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
...so the top step of the stool is 2/3 way up to the camper so I'm still stepping up/into the camper.

I think that is the key.

I wanted to use my tailgate as a back porch, but you need to be stepping up or down to make the short door work. And at 6'4'' I need to make it as easy as possible with the little door.

Scoutman

Explorer
My Starcraft has a similar door to the Palamino that Wannaby posted and I would gladly trade my full door for the simplicity of a short door with a full screen door. I don't like the loss of structural stability by having the back wall not be one piece and with the bugs we have in the south, not having a screen door on a camper just plain sucks. It would also cut a minute or 2 off of the setup time (not that big of a deal I know).

I think I could get used to the short door but as Pods mentioned, I would think it's all in how you enter. Stepping up and in would be less painfull than stepping in from a tailgate.

IMG_3333 (Large).JPG

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
The small door really is not that bad for most people.

I'm 6'4" and have no problem getting in and out of the campers all day.

I can't say I have ever hit my head on it?

But I really lean forward when getting in the camper to make sure I don't bump.

Coming out of the door backwards really helps for an easier exit.

We do have people that visit our showroom and come to the trade shows that do bump their head from time to time.

You can even caution them ... "be a little careful when you get in the camper, the door might be a little smaller than you are used to"

They look at the top of the door and start to go in and they still manage to bump their head somehow?

With the right camper steps and a little practice, it seems to be just fine.

Having the small door makes for a STRONGER camper frame on that rear camper wall.

For strength and durability I would take the small door every time.

I had a friend with a 1986 Starcraft pop-up truck camper and it had the double (full sized) rear camper door.

It worked OK, just took a little playing with to get it set up.

wannaby

Adventurer
I'll have to agree that with the short door you can have the option of a screen door we havent been out much but I hate bugs and that could be the clincher and like ya say probably only whak your head a few times and you would learn I also prefer the fwd canvas integrity for bugs.....just they are hard to find up here ...one day...sigh.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12