How much does a $125k+ CoE+box build depreciate?

downdog

I'm working out the numbers for a FUSO/NPR + habitat and I'd like to hear from anyone who's been paying attention to the price drops in this space. Provided that the build is of good quality, is it something that depreciates like a normal vehicle at ~10-15% per year, or does it hold its value longer-term? Ideally I'd want to full-time it for 2-3 years and then put the build (truck+box) up for sale after the housing market comes back to its senses. Thanks for any real-world numbers, or better yet if you know of a way to track particular builds over time.

rruff

Explorer
I get the impression that we are going back to the pre-covid norm of RVs of all sorts depreciating quickly, and custom builds especially quickly. I think the reason is that your average person doesn't know what the hell you did, and so can't easily evaluate it. If it's well equipped, beautiful and immaculate, and you are a good salesman... maybe. If your plan for the rig is quick, simple, a little rough around the edges... then no.

I'm still building my own. It's a lot of work. The shell is well built and aero, but the finish is far from immaculate, and I'd probably be lucky to get the cost of materials if I sold it! But I plan on keeping it til I'm dead.

Best to just buy something like a good name brand camper on a pickup, which you can sell easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior