How often do you really use your winch?

landy89

Observer
I've been 4x4ing for along time and i agree that a winch is very useful....the question is useful for what? weekend 4x4ing is a lot different than overland global expedition. In an overland expedition you need to keep weight to a minimum, have absolute reliabile equiptment, and absolutely verisitile equiptment. I see many rigs with ARB bumpers and big Warn winches, but when i ask about the use of the winch, it seems to be pretty much useless for self recovery. Many instances of winch broken, shorting out, battery dying, want to move vehicle backwards not forwards, etc. Then there is the massive weight of the ARB bumper and the winch, both of which contribute very largely to the front wheels sinking into the terrian in the first place.

What is the solution? I don't know, but i do know that based on my experiences and my observations of fellow overlanders that having a hi-lift, some maxtrax, a kinetic rope, and a tirfor is the best solution for me. I like the complete durability of this setup and the complete flexibility of it. When i am stuck 300kms from the nearest vehicle in the treeless antiplano, i want to have equiptment that is guarenteed to work and work under any conditions.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I am pro winch 15 years driving my own rig 30 total off road I came home from the hospital in a cj7 on 35's.

reasons why

I go alone one rig usualy one guy. When ther are more rigs i still pull cable and not strap why stress parts when you dont have to. For example We drove camped wheeled from WY to the OR coast. I hit 3 places where i pulled cable. First I know i cluld have made it (went back 2weeks late more rain ) but i had 1200 miles to go and did not want to use parts on the first day. Second i yes could have driven and not winched but my bed would no longer be attached to the truck so a winch block and a tree made every one happy. Third time on this trip. We where faced with a wash out drive back 200 miles add 2 days to our trip of winch over a 4 foot wall and hit our connecting road that i could see. That was on one trip so was it nececary no was the lady happy yes is it worth the pice of mind yes.

So is a winch required no. IS a winch the first thing i put on every rig yes. I dont see abusing equipment when ther is a better safer way. I will push my truck to the limit and then pull cable. I use my rig for trail and expo and i would say i winch more on an expo trip than on a wheeling trip. When i am out for a expo trip I would rather not replace a axle shaft or a u joint. Wheeling i will try and try knowing i am with friend and no one cares if i have to fix it. But i would rather drive and see wildlife and natural wonders than spend 2 hours fixing some thing becous I decide to be neanderthall man and push it and not pull cabel.

Gaidheal

Observer
x2 - the winch's 1st run needs to be to respool the rope under some tension, not a full-pull. Make sure there's at least 5 full, thight, wraps on the drum before you pull under power, too.

:beer:

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
My winch cable has never even been unwound.

Don't take this the wrong way but why do you have one then? Did you just buy it and that's why it's never been spooled out? Have you needed one in the past and didn't have one? Impulse buy? Just curious why someone would put the time and expense into something that they don't use. I know we're all guilty of that a little but a winch is such a big expense item.

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I got a great deal on it when I bought my Jeep...before I really knew much at all about off-roading. I put it on, but it took me a year to get the time to hook it up. Since then, I've hardly even had a chance to go on any basic trails, certainly nowhere that I would actually need a winch. I'll probably trade out the cable for a synthetic line and aluminum fairlead before my trip out west this summer.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Lots of interesting information in this thread.

I have used the electric winch probably 4 times in the last 5-6 years.

Was it a necessity? Nope. Did it make life easier and safer? Oh heck yes.

As others have mentioned, when by myself, there are places I wouldn't have intentionally gone without it but sometimes it gets old stopping every 500 yards to walk and make sure I can go on. There have also been times when I didn't see the hole/stump/soft spot before I was in it.

I've also discovered the new truck (8000 miles at the time) had a minor defect from the factory that left me blocking the way on and off the beach. Because I was blocking the way, I had PLENTY of help. I would have felt a LOT better being in control of that instead of the leadfoot with the lifted F250 on the other end of the strap.

Sometimes my progress is blocked by someone who wasn't as lucky. I'd rather use the winch and get them out of the way and me on my way than wait for them to dig and jack and dig and spin....

I've never used a fire extinguisher off pavement but I've emptied a few of them in rush hour and I've driven through a burned out 100 acres where someone the weekend before didn't carry one with them. It turns out it takes a while for fire trucks to get some places! I wouldn't dream of going without one of those.

alexrex20

Explorer
Also, the cable should be unwound and respooled at least once a year.

care to cite your sources?

It turns out it takes a while for fire trucks to get some places! I wouldn't dream of going without one of those.

remember, most fire departments outside the city are almost entirely staffed by volunteers. that means they send the call out, and the volunteers need to make their way to the station, then get suited up and on the road.

and so i'm a little on-topic, among my several vehicles which all have a front winch (and my truck has a rear winch), i've only once used a winch to recover myself. i've used them several times to recover other vehicles, but most often i am using a winch for something other than vehicle recovery. :D

there's nothing wrong with not using your winch yet. it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

StaceyE

Observer
For the first several years after installing a winch, I only used it to help others get unstuck. Then I rolled my jeep and the only way to get it out was to winch myself.

Most of the time I use the winch helping my neighbors pull out trees, large shrubs etc. from their yards.

Jerry

Adventurer
How often do I really use my winch? On my "overland" vehicle, never! Nor have I had to use my spare tire, come-along or fire extinguisher.

On my 4x4 trail Jeep I use my winch frequently.

TurboChris

Adventurer
I've always had a very capable 4x4 non stop since 1991. Always had a winch on em. I would guess I use them about 7or 8 times a year. Mostly pulling other people out tho...occasionally to extract myself.

JED THE SPREAD

CampervanCulture.com
Can anyone tell me if your suppose to fuse a winch, I put one on mine because I felt I should and the highest I could find down the auto shop was 80amps and it blew under load.

jed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears