How Repairable is Maggiolina RTT Canvas?

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I'm looking into buying a used Autohome Maggiolina RTT at a great price. However, the canvas has some small tears on the corners. It looks like from the fabric rubbing against the lower frame when closed. How big of a deal is this? Can the canvas simply be patched or are the corners a high stress area where a patch wouldn't hold?

rbBuxpObqDz9hQ1V83EIIquizE3sCWGwivRcdCQTtS1QMT6eiEtDos---l6peHwXZkLFNvHjnsNfPQIUuGBKunM2P1isO0PLTk2Tcod2Yff1pCm3eI1zsfszdE0vE2zst3p5eXUTqNkXpM_ZJ9kx54PFYvLijwZuxynvrpt2BG0J6oyENe6TLXea9FZoclgQvagfcVF49lBcwyO35gATFgh4Dn382kATmoio5Hvz0NKBQl7AvyfsIrWf0Wzydtmb_CRwRVW8PfxsHwS2KnpXE_q0svUulOG8ifbmrKg5P0MB4oLLytfCWL1dicJV_J5JXTmA-Q8mDIc0X5d2DkPW_zPMEozMMAyIkDFvR2k5HTOEgseUi1wZd25cj47ggOR09NcHE8D1lLx_2LhfFWGVb8YTUbFRUd-ZAFKFd7sCLAJM4YQ95SEhsYhWK0hsloHOMFVt0ArtJeZDVGo4ocGO9LuLl2Ld4KoVnzL-V3Z2annw-mvnDoiva1LmYrZ4vDihramudMQP0JFI5m8lIdOB2nRDJKgqjwhcIIAJJ07fXI_UY0cV1JMYJvLDfb06jr7kHXq1wg=w1820-h1364-no

j4HgSUyUdSUXn28xZHZrA9e1MraOqDl4UsIPnIbDdnxF4xt9x_D7s1FEykeUiWmkp7Nv6_ccrBzlGH_RpOfEha8h-h8SvP-3ppm24XyV8savztFSuB6Jd_dRbytqj9oiW6xUJA8Wj04bZ_wsODKeuAbzJBh6odY-Y6b2RNwZnv08rQZuXLYvOZj4_w9rEryh3kSLmb-kr9NMZQErM-88LC-jxp3q9Bsfxl86ozFUwHZisaCp5Jn56YPPb8yztZnCDCNJicUttIRGf3Byk6De665XEkMiBr0QtasqQX1-MdeZNYpZ9Ye_v6R-zsN3dh5gBmn4wnszkjq9xIUJcLoxcUZJiae2Cvdbfy1UwqhvMCs0XTxrCANngL40a95n3Gv9X9cRPHre5mK5L3YzyuHijbGH2yNsVdpq0v1L_VBbgW8ofroAxw7mW7AE5bkjsuZQMdq2VdtkJCdnvhp7HSV7DoA7cQ1O9roEaLFoEws8ILoOpGgy8xGHt6-JKbtike82CAPF6VxIZ3XyNHjebhm-RrZIkxBht7LLVcHeYGxyMrnIrRz2W9vMIyPn2DdPn2ROa6pGWQ=w1820-h1364-no

Last edited:

tarditi

Explorer
I can't see the pics, but I had good luck taking my H1 top to an auto upholsterer - they stitched in reinforcement gussets in the corners where there were tears. The trick was to sew them on the inside and outside making a triple-layer (sandwiching the original layer). Worked fine for years (I sold the truck).

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I can't see the pics, but I had good luck taking my H1 top to an auto upholsterer - they stitched in reinforcement gussets in the corners where there were tears. The trick was to sew them on the inside and outside making a triple-layer (sandwiching the original layer). Worked fine for years (I sold the truck).

Interesting. It also looks like adding some sort of cushion or smooth surface around the edges would help. Can anyone else see the pictures?

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I cannot see the photos on Safari. Sorry. We usually recommend that you repair with small patches of matching material. We can provide a swatch for your use. Give us a call? 888-852-2359

andy_b

I cannot see the photos on Safari. Sorry. We usually recommend that you repair with small patches of matching material. We can provide a swatch for your use. Give us a call? 888-852-2359

So I also had a question about this. I called Autohome and spoke to Andrew. He said to just cut a piece out of some of the excess trim inside the tent to use as a patch. Does Autohome US actually have any material I could buy, rather than cannibalizing the tent?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for what glue would work best for this fabric?

coulter6

Observer
I had a few small holes in my AirTop and called AutohomeUS and talked to Andrew. He initially told me to use the excess material on the tent but I insisted on patching material. Andrew did send 4 8"x8" pieces of material. Just ask him for patching material and I'm sure he'll send you some. He's very responsive and willing to help out.

As for glue, I just bought some from REI and it worked well. Can't remember the name of it though.

andy_b

I had a few small holes in my AirTop and called AutohomeUS and talked to Andrew. He initially told me to use the excess material on the tent but I insisted on patching material. Andrew did send 4 8"x8" pieces of material. Just ask him for patching material and I'm sure he'll send you some. He's very responsive and willing to help out.

As for glue, I just bought some from REI and it worked well. Can't remember the name of it though.

That is funny because I definitely did ask him for some material (I asked about pre-made kits or if they happened to have any leftover material) and he insisted that scavenging material from the tent itself was the best and only option.

In the end, I found some pre-glued Gore-Tex fabric from REI that I will try out. Dealing with Andrew was great pre-purchase and in person when I got the tent; a little disappointing afterwards so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger