How to bolt a slide to a truck bed

ColinJ

What is a good way to attach slides to a truck bed floor?

The main slide I'm having a problem with is one for my bike. I have a bin on that side of the topper, so the slide is 2 feet from the side. Plus, the handlebars make it so the slide will never be right against the side. I want space between the slide and truck too so I can store stuff under the bin.

The slide will only be 1 foot or less wide, the full length of the box, and top-heavy with the bike mounted, so it needs good securing. I also need to be able to remove it since I don't want the slide there all the time.

There are a few options I'm thinking of:
  1. Put nutserts into the truck bed floor and/or where access is possible put a backing plate.
  2. Put nutserts into the truck bed sides and back wall. The back will be easy, since the slide is planned to go right against it. But the slide is 2 feet from the side and I'll need something to support the front and middle, so I'm thinking I could build/weld up some bars that run to the side walls to bolt in. I kind of like this idea, as nutserts into the truck side seam seem like a better, longer solution. I don't think it would be as secure as bolting right to be floor.
  3. Plywood the whole floor with some 3/4 marine grade. I kind of like this idea as I'd like to skip carpeting the floor as I was planning and just carpet the plywood. Maine grade because I do live in wet environment and it is bound to get wet.

• I also plan to have the standard box with a slide on the right, but that is easy to figure out since it will be flush against the left side of the truck, and the weight will all be low.
  • I don't want to build just one big slide or buy a truck slide. I want this to be a narrow slide that just allows the bike to slide out so I can stand alongside it. It is a heavy 50+ pound fat bike eMTB, so lifting it up will be painful with the front wheel off.
  • Why not use a bike rack? Security, but also, I do a lot of winter biking, and the road salt is tough on the bike and just makes a mess. Here is a picture of my setup today before I got my RSI Smarttopper. Right now I'm just laying it down flat in the truck but I have big plans for some longer trips and it needs to be more secure and not take up the whole bed.
IMG_5481.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior