How to build a quality awning for less than $100

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I've looked at that, and there are other awning out there that do just that.

For me, the rear support could be attached to the rear bumper, but the front support lines up with the back of my front tire :( I tried to attach it to the body right behind that (making it not perfectly square), but then it interfered with the front door opening. So basically I can't do that.

The other issue I ran into using this setup was the weight of the canvas and the angle of the support legs. Since the tarp stuck out 6' and there was only about a 5' difference between the roof rack and bottom of the body, the angle of the support beams would have been very steep - and the weight of the whole thing pressing on my cheapo wally world support made me think they might fail.

So I'm stuck with them on the ground. If you can get yours to work better, post up a picture!!

billy bee

Adventurer
I followed the directions to the letter with great results...

tarp.jpg

bb

magentawave

Adventurer
Hah hah, thats funny billy bee! Has anyone built their own awning that has a hard cover that the awning retracts into when not in use? You know, like a Fiamma.

Simonblyth

Thanks for the great article - I'm about to attempt the $100 awning but I have 2 major problems

1. I'm in France and they've never heard of dollars - so I'm searching for a DIY store whose owner is planing a trip to a dollar using country so that I can contribute to his spending money.

2. BIGGEST problem - the beer here is *********t - can I swap for red wine and still end up with an acceptable awning?

XterraOverland

Thanks for the write up. I found the 1/2" conduit works fine as the 3/4" was to big. The adjuster screw in thefittings had enough adjustment

awning1_zps23e931e2.jpg

I have $50 into this... Total.

Dizzaster

Old thread but thank you for the idea. When I get my rack for my Ram I am going to do two 6x8 tarps so that the awning goes from front to back and over the doors.

I will report back with my work. :ylsmoke:

kins18q

Adventurer
About to build one of these! Does anyone use a regular poly tarp and store it rolled up on the roof rack? Wondering if it would be noisy when driving or noisy when deployed? I assume this canvas tarp you recommend is quiet in the wind?

Phoenix

Adventurer
About to build one of these! Does anyone use a regular poly tarp and store it rolled up on the roof rack? Wondering if it would be noisy when driving or noisy when deployed? I assume this canvas tarp you recommend is quiet in the wind?

The amount of noise created and abuse any tarp takes from the wind will be based on how well you immobilize prior to travelling or being stored. I have a similar set up using a canvas tarp. I've learned a few things.
1- The closer to the leading and trailing edge of the tarp you add a bungee or strap, the better.
2- More bungee or straps are better than fewer (every 18" for highway speeds)
3- If your roll the tarp around the leading pole, roll underhand, this prevents water from collecting in the tarp while travelling or when not deployed.

Pretty simple stuff, but sometimes others help stow the tarps.

brandon1

Observer
i have been up to the local RV sales lot and made friends with the service manager and he has given me awning material that they are changing out because the owners want to change color. They usually just cut it down the middle because its easier to take it off, then throw it away. the first one i got was 10x18. A little cutting and sewing and ill have a nice awning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears