How to build an 80 on a budget

Sempertoy

Explorer
I'm glad everyone liked it. I will post up some more updates soon. I just went on a spending spree these last 24 hours...

sgiandubh

Observer
Love the budget build! Great pictures from Utah. I've been up to Needles, Arches and around Moab and its still at the top of my list when it comes time to plan a trip.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Love the budget build! Great pictures from Utah. I've been up to Needles, Arches and around Moab and its still at the top of my list when it comes time to plan a trip.
Well, if you are looking for a trip in May, let me know. I'm headed back to Moab for a week or so.

rickashay

Explorer
Always loved watching your build thread. The new Moab photos are awesome, just gets me full of stoke for my trip to Utah this summer! Thanks for sharing your stories as always.

Timothynaustin

Observer
Fantastic thread enjoyed every photo and word, well done.
To be able to do such a great job on your cruiser on a budget and Protecting your COuntry as well as attending Classes. Cudos.
Stay safe at work and on the trails Mate :)

Upland80

Adventurer
Just powered through your thread! I got all exited when I found the Aussie locker part as I am considering one for my 80. I saw a section where you stated that you might want an ARB if you 3rd were removed. Have you ever regretted the Aussie? How has it behaved at highway speeds and would you install it all over again or save for a selectable?

Loved the recent thread updates and am looking forward to more. The 80 looks great with all that dirt on it. :) Best wishes with the changes in your life.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Just powered through your thread! I got all exited when I found the Aussie locker part as I am considering one for my 80. I saw a section where you stated that you might want an ARB if you 3rd were removed. Have you ever regretted the Aussie? How has it behaved at highway speeds and would you install it all over again or save for a selectable?

Glad you liked the thread. About the Aussie locker... I have not once regretted installing it! It is hands down, the very best mod for the money I have ever done. It has made my 80 even more capable offroad. Highways speeds are no issue at all. In fact the aussie is practically invisible while road driving with the center diff unlocked. Offroad, with the diff locked up its great. I would highly recommend an aussie, and save for an ARB for the front if you decide you need it. Best of luck!

Sempertoy

Explorer
Loved the recent thread updates and am looking forward to more. The 80 looks great with all that dirt on it. :) Best wishes with the changes in your life.

Glad you are following along Dave, I know you saw my work on instagram today, I'm trying to catch up to real time on my thread.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Getting to Texas

So, we finally made it down to San Antonio but not without a little road trip! We decided to take the scenic route that would take us through Kansas since neither of us had ever been. We also brought my little brother along so he could hang out in Texas for some of his summer break.
Our first stop was Wyoming.

This was a very common sight during the trip, as I'm sure all cruiser owners can relate. I can't remember the name of the gas station we stopped at, but it was huge and they had great ice cream cones!

Along the open road, Somewhere in Colorado I think.

My road trip buddy decided to take a nap in the sun.

Our official Colorado stop

This picture was from lindsborg Kansas. For those that don't remember I spent two years in Sweden after high school on a mission for the Church of ************************ of Latter Day Saints. It was some of the greatest years of my life, and I love everything that reminds me of Sweden. That is why we decided to stop here, take a tour and a mora knife. This is a dalarna horse, from the dalarna region of sweden. They are famous for these little horses. I have a picture somewhere of the worlds largest dalarna horse on my computer. I'll try and find it.

Our Kansas stop.

Oklahoma

We got out and stretched our legs in the long grass in OK

And finally! We make it to Texas, the lone star state! The funny thing about traveling to Texas, once you make it to the border, thats usually only half the battle. From here we still had several hours of driving to San Antonio.

The first thing we ate in Texas was obviously BBQ, and it didn't disappoint!

The drive was fun, the 80 handled it perfectly. I wouldn't hesitate to drive this thing cross country again. I have a little treat in store for the 80, and I will share but first I have to catch up on all my Texas wheeling!

Texas is crazy big. I went to Austin several times for work and soon realized how long the drives were to adjacent states or even other areas within TX... I did make it to San Antonio and The Alamo though, since they weren't *too* far. The Alamo was totally worth it too, for me anyway.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Texas is crazy big. I went to Austin several times for work and soon realized how long the drives were to adjacent states or even other areas within TX... I did make it to San Antonio and The Alamo though, since they weren't *too* far. The Alamo was totally worth it too, for me anyway.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

Yeah It's huge. You can drive for a day and still be in Texas.

concretejungle

Adventurer
I can vouch for the aussie locker in an 80 being a wonderful and cheap way to get a lot of extra traction. The only time you know it's there is if the windows are down and you are turning in a parking lot; you can hear it clicking.

Also, i discovered one semi negative with it. When you lock the CDL it locks the rear aussie. So if you ever have to disconnect the front driveline to limp home, you will be driving around with a locked up locker. It can be done, but you just have to be a little gentle.

Sempertoy

Explorer
Some Texas wheeling

I have been out wheeling a bit here in Texas. It is very different than what I am used to. I guess I got spoiled growing up in SLC and could get to Moab in a few hours, and in San Diego I was a couple hours from several great wheeling spots. So to come here has been strange. There is a park up in Austin thats about 3,000 acres of offroading. It's a decent place to go, it's not Moab but beggars can't be choosers I guess...

There is also a creek bed by my house that is fun for an hour here and there. That's where these pictures come from.

Found this nasty little guy in a puddle that couldn't have been more that 8' across and 10'' deep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998