How to build your own DIY Carbon Fiber/Foam Panels for ya trailer

ebrabaek

Adventurer
An illustration of how abrasive the Kevlar/Aramid is. After trimming just the two pieces the saw blade went from looking like the one on top to the one on the bottom. Crazy really, but that is why we love it.
20240416_124223.jpg

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Been a looooong road, or at least it feels like it but the box is ready for a wash down and then top coats, which means that next week some time I will crown my truck with a new camper shell.... Whoooooheeeeee.
Gas struts works amazing. This time there is no flex at all so this was definitely the right fix. They close perfectly with 18mm to spare. FYI the struts are 17 inch full length and 9 compressed with a 22 pound rating each.
20240417_084744.jpg
20240417_084747.jpg

Then it was time for the big and scary dig. Cut a giant hole in the front for the window.
I think I measured 5 times, even taped the frame on to make sure.
20240417_104801.jpg
20240417_105319.jpg

Ready........
Set..........
Cuuuuuut......
20240417_111206.jpg
20240417_111223.jpg
20240417_111523.jpg

Then as usual, the edges had to be locked in place with THIX......
20240417_124011.jpg
20240417_124014.jpg

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I thought I might as well spend some time while the THIX cures by scoring the surface with 800 grit abrasive pads. It will be washed tomorrow to get all the grit off and ready for paint I think Monday.
20240417_111805.jpg
20240417_132207.jpg

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I am not a painter. If you have seen any of the other pieces I have created then you already knew that :LOL:. The solo purpuse of the top coat is to protect the epoxy. I actually prefer the satin texture the box was before paint. Scored and washed, ready for paint.
20240419_072641.jpg

@ the very modern paint booth with winds at 2-3 KTS at the ready.
20240419_080948.jpg

2 coats in....
20240419_083719.jpg20240419_083735.jpg

Back inside.
20240419_095128.jpg

I am intentionally spraying fast to avoid too much wet up. I really wanted it to be more satin, but with 4 layers on there it wont yield that result. I am very happy with it as it will serve its purpose, and I am not trying to create a museum show piece, but a functional overland camper shell.
Tomorrow the front window goes back in and it will get installed on the truck. Big day indeed.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
It is on the truck...... But first a few small things. The trim ring that I got for the forward window did not work, but I was expecting that as it is for a 1/8 inch thick wall and mine is just over 1/2 inch thick. Off to the depot to pillage a flat bar of aluminum. Painted and in place. That'l do.
20240420_103349.jpg

Window in....
20240420_103831.jpg

On the truck....
20240420_123317.jpg
20240420_123332.jpg
20240420_123515.jpg
20240420_123526.jpg
20240420_123537.jpg

Now begins the end game. I am about 99% sure I will dull the finish with a non abrasive pad. Sau 2-3000 grit. It is way to shiny for me. Hinge needs to be countersunk a few millimeters, etc....etc...
It has been a joy to put this together and I know that there is lots more to come. As it has a 7.2KV a/c power onboard, I decided to go the 115vac way with the compressor, so that needs to go in the corner, but I can now take a deep breath. When I began It was not my intention to post the whole build here. Just how to make the panels, but I am glad I did, as just about everything in here can be used very constructively to make your own box. Even though yours might be a lot bigger...... Fire away with any questions you might have.

rruff

Explorer
(y) Good stuff!

You wouldn't happen to know of a decent clear coat I can use... that can be rolled or brushed on, cures quick, and doesn't stink too bad? This will be interior and rarely exposed to sun.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
(y) Good stuff!

You wouldn't happen to know of a decent clear coat I can use... that can be rolled or brushed on, cures quick, and doesn't stink too bad? This will be interior and rarely exposed to sun.
The clearcoats I use is always spray on. I have done some urethane on wood. What are you covering, and what is the purpose of the clear coat??

rruff

Explorer
It's over raw carbon, the inner side of the big hatch/door. There are some brushable 1 part coatings that might work.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
It's over raw carbon, the inner side of the big hatch/door. There are some brushable 1 part coatings that might work.
Raw carbon , to me is straight off the roll, not infused with epoxy, but I think you mean the carbon layup (carbon+epoxy) that you want coated with a finish?? Some of the 2 part coatings are thick in nature and needs a thinner agent to be able to spray them. I wonder if that would work as the thin viscosity is what makes it dang near impossible to brush on. I would stop by an auto coatings and paint supply store and chat. Up here they have been very helpful and Im sure the same is the case in NM.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
As mentioned, it is now time to fine tune the camper. As with anything you create from a piece of paper, it is a complicated process, and the propperbility of needing to go in and fix, improve or expand, is fairly high. This is no different. I have identified 4 things that needs remedy'ing. 1 I was expecting. 1 I was not, and the last pokes its ugly head up once in a while.
They are as following.

1) Rear door to truck tail gate interface. I knew of this one, but did not have a solution of full design at the time of built, so I decided to get the lower flange within 3-5mm of the truck tail gate and go from there.

2) Some one asked if I had delam. There are about 5 small 2x3'ish patches that have experienced thermal delam. As the truck is parked in the sun the temp of the skin does go in the range of 150-175 deg. F. Any air pockets in the matrix will expand, lifting the skin ever so little.
It is almost impossible to create a panel as I did, or outside a hydraulic or vacuum press to not have small voids. Specially when you are conscience of resin to fiber ratio's. I treat them as norm and part of the deal, so I will show you how to stop them in their tracks.

3) The two sharp forward top corners are bugging me a bit. The 2023 F-150 is stoopid quiet. 80MPH on the freeway and quiet. On the maiden trip we had a freeway haul to a wedding that put us 10 miles into a 40 mph headwind, and I heard just a little wind noise. Curse you, quiet truck....:LOL::ROFLMAO:. The fix is what will make you spit out the double expresso all over the computer screen, and perhaps make you think I'm lagging a few chromosomes....... I'm gonna cut them corners off with a saw...... I think..... I really do....... I think.

4) Countersink the hinge on the door about 2mm to get a bit more pressure on the big wiper seal.

Stay tuned

ITTOG

As mentioned, it is now time to fine tune the camper. As with anything you create from a piece of paper, it is a complicated process, and the propperbility of needing to go in and fix, improve or expand, is fairly high. This is no different. I have identified 4 things that needs remedy'ing. 1 I was expecting. 1 I was not, and the last pokes its ugly head up once in a while.
They are as following.

1) Rear door to truck tail gate interface. I knew of this one, but did not have a solution of full design at the time of built, so I decided to get the lower flange within 3-5mm of the truck tail gate and go from there.

2) Some one asked if I had delam. There are about 5 small 2x3'ish patches that have experienced thermal delam. As the truck is parked in the sun the temp of the skin does go in the range of 150-175 deg. F. Any air pockets in the matrix will expand, lifting the skin ever so little.
It is almost impossible to create a panel as I did, or outside a hydraulic or vacuum press to not have small voids. Specially when you are conscience of resin to fiber ratio's. I treat them as norm and part of the deal, so I will show you how to stop them in their tracks.

3) The two sharp forward top corners are bugging me a bit. The 2023 F-150 is stoopid quiet. 80MPH on the freeway and quiet. On the maiden trip we had a freeway haul to a wedding that put us 10 miles into a 40 mph headwind, and I heard just a little wind noise. Curse you, quiet truck....:LOL::ROFLMAO:. The fix is what will make you spit out the double expresso all over the computer screen, and perhaps make you think I'm lagging a few chromosomes....... I'm gonna cut them corners off with a saw...... I think..... I really do....... I think.

4) Countersink the hinge on the door about 2mm to get a bit more pressure on the big wiper seal.

Stay tuned
With appologies, I am glad this build is not complete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman