How to build your own DIY Carbon Fiber/Foam Panels for ya trailer

rruff

Explorer
2) Some one asked if I had delam. There are about 5 small 2x3'ish patches that have experienced thermal delam. As the truck is parked in the sun the temp of the skin does go in the range of 150-175 deg. F. Any air pockets in the matrix will expand, lifting the skin ever so little.
It is almost impossible to create a panel as I did, or outside a hydraulic or vacuum press to not have small voids. Specially when you are conscience of resin to fiber ratio's. I treat them as norm and part of the deal, so I will show you how to stop them in their tracks.
Where I live (7k ft, S NM) I think a black panel will go up to 200F, in calm sunny conditions and ~80F air temp. That was facing the sun mid-day. It's sunny today, maybe I'll check again.

Some surfboard builders will perforate the skin with a roller that has a bunch of tiny needles, to let air escape. Foams outgas when they get hot; it isn't just trapped air, any place the bond is weak can delam.

When I experimented with XPS it was really hard to get a good bond. I tried sanding, and texturing with various devices. The one that worked the best was sand then clean then texture with a wallpaper perforation roller that makes a bunch of conical indentations. I'd put a layer of epoxy over that and work it into the indentations, and let that mostly cure, then add the layup. I decided to use PVC foam though which is a lot stronger and bonds better due to larger cells which give it a rough texture when cut.

shopping

ebrabaek

Adventurer
With appologies, I am glad this build is not complete.
Ha....... You and me both....:ROFLMAO: It is a beautiful think to tinker. The early stages were fast paced for sure as panels had to be created and bonded together. This is the stage I really like. Mostly because of the "Tinker pace" (relaxed, take your time and make sure you like what you see). For example, as I have 7.2KW powerhouse on board, I have a 1 gallon 115vac compressor that will be installed somehow. Might be bolted in. Might be in a case...... Might be in a Carbon Fiber box. Dunno yet, but it is really cool to take your time and not be on flanking speed hop all the time. Dont get me wrong. I love Mach 0.8 but then some one made a Cessna....... Whooooot.
Alright.... No haters.....:):p

ebrabaek

Adventurer
@ebrabaek

OK, so now, to date, how much $$$ does this build tally up to?
I am guessing about $1400-1500. The window was just a tad over $300 so that pushed a little. Still have not found a good solution for the aft window, and so when I find that, it will bump another couple of hundred I suppose.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Where I live (7k ft, S NM) I think a black panel will go up to 200F, in calm sunny conditions and ~80F air temp. That was facing the sun mid-day. It's sunny today, maybe I'll check again.

Some surfboard builders will perforate the skin with a roller that has a bunch of tiny needles, to let air escape. Foams outgas when they get hot; it isn't just trapped air, any place the bond is weak can delam.

When I experimented with XPS it was really hard to get a good bond. I tried sanding, and texturing with various devices. The one that worked the best was sand then clean then texture with a wallpaper perforation roller that makes a bunch of conical indentations. I'd put a layer of epoxy over that and work it into the indentations, and let that mostly cure, then add the layup. I decided to use PVC foam though which is a lot stronger and bonds better due to larger cells which give it a rough texture when cut.

shopping
Hmmmmmmm...... That brings me back to my old stomping grounds as I migrated to this awesome and beautiful country. Guessing here to the 7K feet elevation..... Silver City, Glenwood, Mimbres, Cloudcroft, RuidoSss.....Riudaaaa..... Ehhhhh The city next to Sierra Blanca???
Yeah...... I have done that in the past. I just pop a needle to make a pin hole. I just thought I'd cover this way. Smaller ones, I'l pop a pin hole.

Last edited:

ebrabaek

Adventurer
First project was the thermal delamination. It is hard to capture but this is how it looks....
20240422_072504.jpg

It is so ever small, but I would like to show how to fix it. As forementioned it is almost impossible to avoid unless you have a big press or a 8x4 foot vacuum bag. There will always be a bit of imperfections in the foam, and one way to mitigate it is to roll on a lot of epoxy on the last layer before foam and be quite liberal in the amount used. Take great care in laying the foam down, sorta bending the plate as you lay it to ensure minimum air entrapment. As the pocket heats up in say 150-175 deg. F. it will pull away just a little until the air compresses enough to counteract the adhesion of the epoxy. As my fellow compositour, Rruff, said perforation is another solution. The easy way is to pillage a needle or one of these stick on tabs, and poke a tiny hole in the middle. Done. Another way is to seal up the area with more epoxy. I off course first die it black. Then drill two tiny holes with the smallest drill ya have. First ya need to visit Walgreens for a tiny syringe. I prefer to drill far left and far right. One hole is for injection and one is for the escaping air.
20240422_072950.jpg
20240422_073036.jpg

Then ya suck up a bit of resin.....
20240422_073910.jpg

Then pump it in until it escapes from the other hole. Go easy here as you can pop the layer further.
20240422_073924.jpg

You will loose a bit after pulling the plug so wipe and repeat as you feel. Ohhh.... yeah, tape down first.
20240422_074025.jpg

Then a layer of tape on top to keep it all in. DONT GO DRIVING UNTIL FULL CURE, as it will re flow and begin oooooozing back out.
20240422_092815.jpg

The Max Bond 1618 is excellent in bonding NGX foam. No sanding needed. This is purely pilot error. While this cured I did take a few millimeters off for the hinge and were good.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Then there is the cutting of the corners...... Pun intended. It is my plan to use a wooden type saw. It has a flat and long blade. It will be wasted on those two cuts but that is on. This way the angles will remain in check. It is however non reversible and as such I am a bit uhmmm.... ehhhh.... cautious to say the least.
20240421_123935.jpg

ITTOG

If the only reason you are doing it is because of wind noise then, don't. Just turn your radio up.

But seriously, there is no guarantee cutting the corners will reduce or eliminate the wind noise. It could be the noise is coming from the wind going down between the cap and your cabin.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

ebrabaek

Adventurer
If the only reason you are doing it is because of wind noise then, don't. Just turn your radio up.

But seriously, there is no guarantee cutting the corners will reduce or eliminate the wind noise. It could be the noise is coming from the wind going down between the cap and your cabin.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Yeah..... right you are. Still mulling it over. The noise is also only very slight, and at high speeds. I can certainly be just fine with it. But it is my inability to leaver stones unturned and trying to make things better... :geek::oops:

Last edited:

ebrabaek

Adventurer
It is done....... And very succesfuld if ya ask me :geek:. I need to let it cure for a few hrs to set the THIX and I will post all the pictures.
Now I can take a breath.
Ziiiiiiiiz izzzz nov zeeee Paaaanzer Box.;):cool:

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Measure.....measure again. When your done measuring then measure one last time. I spent all day yesterday contemplating if I should do this but this morning the message was clear. Lets do it.
20240424_100306.jpg

First cut.....
20240424_100801.jpg

Second cut...
20240424_101050.jpg

Third and last cut had to be done with a hand saw.....
20240424_101248.jpg

Done......
20240424_101654.jpg

It is kinda fun to see a whole cross section of the matrix.
20240424_102054.jpg
20240424_102106.jpg
20240424_102111.jpg
20240424_102114.jpg

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Both sides now done....
20240424_104929.jpg
20240424_104936.jpg

Then it was time to cut out the flat piece to replace the pyramids. Plenty of cut away left overs....
20240424_105324.jpg

It fits...... Perfect.
20240424_110905.jpg
20240424_110912.jpg
20240424_111050.jpg

Time to bond the edges and corners....
20240424_122026.jpg
20240424_122030.jpg
20240424_122042.jpg
20240424_122047.jpg

ebrabaek

Adventurer
On another note, I have been playing with the rear door as a test to find the finish I like. Settled on 0000 steel wool and then buffed. Looks perfect. Now on to the main unit. Not a fan of too shiny Composites, unless it is in a hot rod..... Ha ha.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Corners were filled in and are now curing overnight. Had to do something in the meantime, so it is Super hack Thursday.
As a minor distraction I am pretty stoked about getting the air compressor onboard. I thought for a long time about this but with 7.2KW available in AC format I wanted to stay true to that and save some $$. Sniffed around and settled on a small 1 gallon 115 vac unit. It runs quiet and can produce quite the flow for even small air tools. Tried to find a box for it. Were going to build my own from ..... You guessed it, but are kinda over saturated and dont feel laying up more panel at the moment, so......
Find the closest box...... Check
Grap the cut of wheel.... Check
Eys and ear protection.. Check

What could go wrong...... Had to make it fit in here.....
20240425_151556.jpg

By cutting off this and move the compressor on the plate...
20240425_151839.jpg

All was well until I took apart the on/off switch, which came apart with a big and springy spadoink...... Whoever invented that thing should be keel holed for not putting warning sticker all over that thing.... "DO NOT TAKE APART" First you learn how it was put together...... then you put it together....aaaaarggggggggg.
Any way, It is tight, but it fits.....
20240425_151601.jpg

In the truck....
20240425_152101.jpg

I APPOLOGIZE FOR THIS NEEDLESS DELAY. NOW BACK TO THE REGULAR SCHEDULED PROGRAMING....:censored::oops::geek::ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12