how to bulletproof a Ford 6.0 diesel

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I just had mine done, the full bulletproofing job / studs / egr delete / tuner / all the little usual weak points addressed. Approximately $5k for the cab off full job - just sayin' since the quoted prices and estimates are all over the map when you start reading about this work.

Truck was fine before the job but wanted peace of mind when we're travelling for the next couple of years with it.

Averaging 11-15mpg around town right now with DRW's and 4.88's, lots of short trips as it's filling in daily driver duty while my wife takes the car.

Personally I thought the 7.3 prices were a little silly on the used market, and I wanted a balance of older diesel / rust free / some comfort features like good AC and cruise etc..

Love how much quieter the 6.0 is, and I plan on doing some more sound insulation too.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Yeah, or you could look at it as the 6.0 liters being deals all over the place since people are scared of 'em. If I had more time I'd have saved some more $ doing more of the work myself.

I've got a rust free low mileage diesel heavy duty 4wd truck that doesn't need DEF or squeaky clean diesel to keep running, and a motor that's been gone over inside and out by a specialty diesel shop - I'll take that over new prices and dealer service any day.

YMMV

silvrcummns

Haha, always love these articles. Doesn't actually address all problems. Injectors, ficm, turbo actuators/turbos themselves etc. Not all people can delete egr's so you can still have valve issues. Personally I like these engines though, they help pay my bills ��.

dave1014

Adventurer
Alot of excellent advice in that article and great parts. The only thing I would do is substitute the sinister diesel coolant filter for another brand. The sinister ones tend to leak

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Haha, always love these articles. Doesn't actually address all problems. Injectors, ficm, turbo actuators/turbos themselves etc. Not all people can delete egr's so you can still have valve issues. Personally I like these engines though, they help pay my bills ��.

We love them too!! Use a good fuel additive and injector issue are reduced huge, install a good alternator like a DC power for a true 14 volts and your FICM will last, Turbo well..

gtbensley

Explorer
The 6.0 is a decent engine with that work done. Keep the oil and coolant clean and the battery's charged. Once it has been bullet proofed its a very very reliable engine.

StorminMormon

Did mine about 2 years ago, 145K miles we use it on long family hauls. I will be putting some pics up soon. Love it, every mech I have ever had look at it says its in great shape and has been very well cared for. I keep up on the maintenance and it starts and runs great every time. I know someone is going to call me out on this, but when I am pulling the fam + gear I get around 20MPG on the highway. When I add a Trailer + Roof Rack + Gear = 16.5. You cant beat that with any unleaded engine.

Tires are 285 R16 Toyo ATs, stock gear and economy tune.

-Stormin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger