How to camp with dogs!

COAKXterra

Thanks for detailing that. Cudos to you for persevering rather than the sometimes solution of relegating the pup to a yard dog life or relying on it's mortality ("so whatever, 12-15 years, it'll go by fast" :sneaky:).

We've tried a dozen different collars and harnesses. The slip leash is handy. We keep one inside the front door for that quick pee or yard security sweep.

Funny you mentioned Home Depot. The second we step foot in one Windy switches to instant service dog mode - all business. He's good as gold in stores (we have a couple other stores that allow dogs). Even good in pet stores. Good at waiting etc.

But I can't walk him down town centre on a sidewalk with a bunch of people around. Anywhere new can be a problem too, esp if there is a park nearby. A lot of pulling, and some darting side to side.

As for the point of the neighbourhood walk. To Windy it seems to be sniffing (head down moving, let go), searching for something edible (Lab), sniffing out other dog scent/urine, marking (un nurtured), and dropping a load infront of a house where a dog has barked at him some time before (good memory).

How much of that is normal, IDK. But if we keep the pace up it all goes better.

Yeah. Our trainer explained that was the point of the lead training away from the other stimulus, since that’s how he was before. Sniffing and chasing down anything he could try and find. The training seemed to work pretty well for us and I don’t regret the time put in.

Don’t get me wrong though… he still has his yard time (around 2000sqft fenced in the woods) to do whatever he wants and to go pee, etc. But when the lead is on, as you said… all business.

But back on the topic… he’s the best camping and road-trip pup.
IMG_6361.jpeg
2D59D771-8E32-4174-ABF1-ECA34AF5D6D0.jpeg

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
I slip a rope through Mugs' leash, clip it to his harness, and tie the ends across the site so it acts like a runner. He can move around, but can't get off site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior