How to fix my Maggiolina?

Septimusus

Hello hello,

I recently found a Maggiolina Brevetto Internazionale and I am right now in the process of fixing it.

One issue this tent has is that all four corkscrew nuts are broken. I ordered new corkscrew nuts from Autohome and they fit - in theory.

The issue I have is that I don't know how to remove the gear from the one end so that I would be able to screw on the second corkscrew nut.

Maybe someone has experience with this and can give an enlightening thought
IMG_2164.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2166.jpeg
    IMG_2166.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13

Howard70

Adventurer
I’ve not done that actual repair so this is mere speculation. You mention “…remove the gear from one end…”. are you able to access the other end? If so, could you thread both nuts from that end, spacing them appropriately? Looking at your first image it appears that the slotted end has a mounting flange welded to it followed by a bushing. Unless that slotted end is threaded into the geared rod to the right I don’t see how it and the flange could be removed.
Our Maggiolina Grand Tour once skipped a tooth on the chain sprockets connecting the two geared rods (front and back) resulting in one end raising more than the other. I don’t recall how I got the sprockets on both rods back into sync, but remember that doing so solved the problem.

Howard

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
Machine shop, that looks welded or ask AutoHome to ship you whole assemblies.

The rod is called an "acme" screw, like on jack to lift a car. This is a design for high loads.

I've heard of chains skipping a tooth because of being over stressed lifting a heavy load or having something caught in the chain. Here in the States we are limited in the weight we can carry on the roof so I've never heard of anyone having to do this type of repair. We used to have a couple spares in our warehouse but never needed them ..... you must be a great story, love to hear it.

Howard70

Adventurer
I've heard of chains skipping a tooth because of being over stressed lifting a heavy load or having something caught in the chain. Here in the States we are limited in the weight we can carry on the roof so I've never heard of anyone having to do this type of repair. We used to have a couple spares in our warehouse but never needed them ..... you must be a great story, love to hear it.
While it was several years ago, I think one corner of the flimsy soft aluminum trim that covers the bottom edge of the top caught on the pop rivet heads of the lower trim. When we cranked up the top, three corners could rise but the fourth didn’t and that resistance may have caused the skip.

Familiar with limitations associated with “…the States…” As New Mexico is one of them!

Howard

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’m going to also vote machine shop. Putting that in a lathe should let you cut the weld on that sprocket and remove it. You might waste the sprocket and replace it too. No matter what this wont be a fun or clean repair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior