How to get up on roof rack?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
step ladder

I have a 2 step aluminum ladder that was about $30 at the local hardware. although I have a gobi ladder, and have used it to climb onto the roof, it isn't very safe feeling, my feet are big and their rungs are narrow. the aluminum ladder is super light, cheap enough to be almost disposable if stolen or run over, and moves quickly around the jeep to set up the rooftop tent or secure cargo. The last thing onto the roof is the ladder, a coupe of bungees hold it down nicely.

Greg@RME

Adventurer
I selected my rear bumper and rock sliders so I had something to stand on for roof rack access... works great, there is nothing else I need to bring to get onto the roof rack.

P9164005-L.jpg

Heakle

I use a Car Cane from the Ace Hardware, 14.99 on sale. It hooks into any car door latch and easily holds my weight (180 lbs).

Car Cane.jpeg

Kevin108

Explorer
Oh yeah, I like this idea. Did not know they even existed. Looks like it could easily strap on the spare tire under the Trasharoo perhaps..
Thanks a bunch for this one!

I've also used mine in instances where the RTT's ladder was awkward for my wife. My career has been in construction, so climbing a ladder for me is as familar as ascending a staircase, but I want her to be safe and comfortable, so sometimes we use a combination of both. The RTT's extension ladder supports the tent base, while entering and exiting is accomplished with the telescoping ladder. Over the winter, I'd like to remove the extension ladder and modify one of the inexpensive telescoping ladders to fit instead.

2015-10-30%2010.43.15.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78