How to make a cheap isolated dual-battery setup for $50

aws140

Observer
Just read the whole thread. The diagrams are great for a visual learner like myself. Started dozing off at the end, but that's due to pulling an all-nighter. Thank you so much for all the contributors. This is exactly what I need and I will definitely be adding it to my Rav4 for my transcontinental trip coming up. I have a few preemptive questions for the experts though.

I intend to do a simple dual battery setup, using some AGM batteries I already have, with a manual control three-way switch, but may add a solar panel if I can find one that fits my needs/budget. What style switch are people generally utilizing? Is it an issue if the two batteries are different groups/sizes? Also, would it be an issue if in addition to my factory wiring I run an additional 2 gauge wire directly from my battery + to my alternator?

Coscienceguy

Observer
What about a third battery since I already have two.

Hey there, I am getting ready to order everything, but had 1 question.

I have a full size 99 f350 that already has two batteries under the hood just to run the truck. When I do an auxillary battery, will I still only be needing 2 fuses as discussed on page 1 of this thread and should just tie my solenoid to one of the two batteries under the hood? Or is there another setup for my truck? I noticed that I have a smaller solenoid on the passenger side of the engine bay already, I would think I should still order another solenoid and keep them separate for this project?

thanks.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Hey there, I am getting ready to order everything, but had 1 question.

I have a full size 99 f350 that already has two batteries under the hood just to run the truck. When I do an auxillary battery, will I still only be needing 2 fuses as discussed on page 1 of this thread and should just tie my solenoid to one of the two batteries under the hood? Or is there another setup for my truck? I noticed that I have a smaller solenoid on the passenger side of the engine bay already, I would think I should still order another solenoid and keep them separate for this project?

thanks.

Is the second battery that you have now an auxiliary battery? Or does your truck run a pair of engine batteries?

I run two batteries under the hood with a solenoid in between. One engine battery, and one aux battery. I don't bother with fuses in the battery cables because both batteries are under the hood.

That solenoid on the passenger side...is that a battery isolation solenoid (between the batteries) or is it a starter solenoid (between the engine battery and the starter)?

Coscienceguy

Observer
Update

Yes, I have two engine batteries, and the solenoid on the passenger fender is the starter solenoid, so I shouldn't have to mess with that.

Will the solenoid allow the third battery to charge while I'm driving? I won't be pulling on the battery much, and won't be sitting in one place for more than an evening.

Since I have two engine batteries do I need to run a cable from each engine battery to the solenoid, or just run a cable from one engine batter?

Thanks!

xjaugie

Adventurer
Got caught with a dead battery on the trail last weekend

What perfect timing in finding this thread. I was out running some trails this weekend and got stranded due to a dead battery. Ended up getting a jump from a pssing Ford Raptor, My poor toyota didn't know how to act touching something so beastly....LOL. Anyhow, this set up would have saved my butt. My next project coming up.

Livelarg

Observer
Allright,
It is time for me to chime in and show how truly uneducated about this whole thing. I am planning a big trip with the family, and there will be electronics and what-not. I also have a winch. she will be going too.
haha, just kidding, But I do have a winch. So I was wanting the peace of mind of having dual batteries and not getting stuck in the middle of nowhere.

This is my question. I have studied the pics, and they do not tell me one thing. I how do you make the second (house) battery into the....uh.. house battery?
How do you separate the starter/winch power from the "house" power?
I need the "dual batteries for complete morons" thread.

Thanks for the awesome write-up.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
I re-glanced back to try and catch myself up on this long thread but It seems like your asking how do you start the car from the second battery?

Well if your running your winch from your main so the alternator helps with the drain you can either use jumper cables or setup a battery disconnect switch so your solenoid wont take the brunt of it. always have the switch on disconnect and when you want to jump from spare you just connect the switch for a solid connection that can handle the amps used when starting

something like this would work http://www.harborfreight.com/battery-disconnect-switch-97853.html

Livelarg

Observer
Calimobber.
Thanks for the reply. But what I'm needing to know.
The batteries are isolated. How do I isolate the start battery to go just to the starter, and the house battery to just run the house?
Maybe I just don't understand, but from diagram, it seems like the electrical system is normal, and the "house" battery is simply a back-up. Is that what it is?

LR Max

Local Oaf
Battery isolation is meh. Everyone greatly underestimates the capabilities of modern, healthy batteries.

That said, if you want a cheap isolator, just install a little wire with a 20 amp fuse or so between your two batteries. During normal operation, it'll trickle charge the second battery. If the draw starts taking too much, it'll pop the fuse.

Considering the price of such a setup and fuses (recommend you install a fuse similar to what your car uses, I assume newer vehicles have different fuses compared to my 73 rover) is pretty cheap and easy. Or maybe find some sort of breaker-type device. Set it up so you can reset it within the cab and you will be super awesome good to go.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Calimobber.
The batteries are isolated. How do I isolate the start battery to go just to the starter, and the house battery to just run the house?
Maybe I just don't understand, but from diagram, it seems like the electrical system is normal, and the "house" battery is simply a back-up. Is that what it is?

This is a tough question, and really depends on how your vehicle is set up....In some older vehicles, it can be as simple as just connecting the starter wire to the main battery and then re-wiring the fuse box to the 'house' battery. On my vehicle an (06 H3) that would require a whole ton of work, so instead I decided to create a 2nd 'house' circuit and left the original factory wiring alone.

So now I have my original factory wiring circuit that is hooked up to the main battery, and a completely 2nd circuit running off the backup battery. This has worked mostly ok, but to be honest given my horrible memory I've had to self-jump start the truck a couple times because I left something on in the factory circuit.

A potentially better solution if you want to be safe (and I should do this) is to run everything off your main battery, and connect NOTHING to your backup battery - and that allows you a (99%) guaranteed start if/when your starting battery wears down. From my experience (again, I have a bad memory) I've been 'close' to not being able to start after running down the main (because I ran the stereo) and also ran down the house battery (because I had left my backup monitor on)...I was ok because the combined power of both (nearly drained) batteries was enough to start, but it was a great learning experience.

So assuming you can't just rewire the fusebox to your house battery, my completely unexpert opinion for you would be to leave everything wired to your main/starting battery and then use your 2nd battery as a full-time backup/emergency battery.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Calimobber.

When you turn the key on, the ignition circuit energizes the solenoid, which ties the batteries. If the house battery has enough juice, and the solenoid has a high enough amp rating, and the battery cables are thick enough, you can start the truck. That's called a "self-jump".

Or, you can just use jumper cables from the aux battery to the main battery.

To make the aux battery into the house battery, you connect an extra fuse block to the aux battery, and connect the loads you need to run when the truck is turned off to that aux fuse block. When the key is off, the solenoid is disengaged, and the batteries are isolated, and everything that ran off the main battery still runs off the main battery, but now your aux loads run off the aux fuse block and the aux battery.

It would a major job trying to switch over everything except the starter to the aux battery, and I don't know anyone who has ever done it.

Jack Rabbit

I have been going through the same problems with my boat. I wanted to separate the curcuits and only run the starter from the starting battery and tie in the house curcuits a deep cycle battery. (I am assuming that most of you want a deep cycle as your secondary) But that has become very problematic. Not that it can't be done but I wouldn't have anytime to use the boat (Jeep, Truck) if I decided to rewire the entire thing.

Now correct me if I am wrong but therein lies the problem. If you want to run your accessories from a deep cycle batt without having to rewire EVERYTHING, you would have to have your deep cycle battery as your primary and have the starting battery as your back up. This would essentially connect the batteries when the solenoid is engaged.

I know very little about batteries and how they are made etc... However, my understanding is that one should not really mix battery types, sizes and so forth. Does anyone who knows more than me have any knowledge on the best way to hook this up? Is there a difference which battery is the primary when they are connected? Is there an issue with discharging your secondary battery "into" the primary when they are connected prior to starting the engine?

When the batteries are connected, will this act just like a dual purpose made battery? (Good starting amps and good amp hours)

I do have my own uneducated theories on these questions which are, likely deep cycle as primary is the most ideal way to hook them up. Charged battery will discharge into the drained battery but hopefully not fast enough at 13.2V to cause a problem so long as you are starting the engine right away. And yes they will act just like a dual purpose battery when connected.

This is how I plan on hooking them up in my boat and unless I am educated differently, then I will be a guinea pig of sorts.

Also a battery selector switch can be used which negates my entire post but leaves it up to the individual to manually switch batteries prior to starting and when the engine is turned off. For me that is a very easy thing to forget about.

chromisdesigns

Adventurer
Don't know any details about your boat, but you might consider just having two or more banks of good deep-cycle batteries (NOT the "dual purpose marine" batteries like people use for trolling motors, etc) and manual battery switch (or two) to select which one you want to use at any given time. Deep cycle batts are perfectly capable of acting as a starting battery. There are several advantages of going this way -- you can use identical batteries, and alternate which ones you use as house batteries, which will greatly prolong their lives. YOU (not some hidden circuit or relay) have complete, visually apparent control over which battery is in use, and you can completely disconnect them when not using the boat, so "phantom" loads don't run them down.

Also, doing it this way, you can set up your charging circuits independent of the battery switches, so the batteries are all properly maintained no matter which one you happen to be using at any given time.

We had 3 banks of batteries set up this way on our live-aboard sailboat, and it worked out very well. We used a heavy-duty single pole on/off switch for each set of batteries, just lined all three up on a bulkhead next to each other, very easy to see which bank was in use (key-style switches, not rotary knobs).

Like this, for example: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_440870_-1?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=440870&cid=sc_googlepla&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLDSid72mrcCFSjZQgodOW0A5w

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I have been going through the same problems with my boat. I wanted to separate the curcuits and only run the starter from the starting battery and tie in the house curcuits a deep cycle battery. (I am assuming that most of you want a deep cycle as your secondary) But that has become very problematic. Not that it can't be done but I wouldn't have anytime to use the boat (Jeep, Truck) if I decided to rewire the entire thing.

Now correct me if I am wrong but therein lies the problem. If you want to run your accessories from a deep cycle batt without having to rewire EVERYTHING, you would have to have your deep cycle battery as your primary and have the starting battery as your back up. This would essentially connect the batteries when the solenoid is engaged.

I know very little about batteries and how they are made etc... However, my understanding is that one should not really mix battery types, sizes and so forth. Does anyone who knows more than me have any knowledge on the best way to hook this up? Is there a difference which battery is the primary when they are connected? Is there an issue with discharging your secondary battery "into" the primary when they are connected prior to starting the engine?

When the batteries are connected, will this act just like a dual purpose made battery? (Good starting amps and good amp hours)

I do have my own uneducated theories on these questions which are, likely deep cycle as primary is the most ideal way to hook them up. Charged battery will discharge into the drained battery but hopefully not fast enough at 13.2V to cause a problem so long as you are starting the engine right away. And yes they will act just like a dual purpose battery when connected.

This is how I plan on hooking them up in my boat and unless I am educated differently, then I will be a guinea pig of sorts.

Also a battery selector switch can be used which negates my entire post but leaves it up to the individual to manually switch batteries prior to starting and when the engine is turned off. For me that is a very easy thing to forget about.

Good timing on that question...my brother and I had this exact conversation this last weekend - he is installing a 2nd battery in his boat and wanted advice on the best hookup...

Everyone has a different opinion on your questions, here's my take...

Having 2 different battery types is bad when they are connected in parallel (either regularly or isolated w/the isolator engaged) without any charge current. The same can be said for 2 of the same type of batteries that are different sizes or ages - the key here is "2 batteries run in parallel, where one battery is stronger than the other, is bad - because the stronger battery will try and charge the weaker battery" - this is true even if you have two batteries the same size & age (like in my setup) and one battery is discharged more than the other. The stronger battery will always flow current to the weaker battery...

Now, let's talk about when they are hooked up to a charge source (alternator, charger, etc)...in that particular case, the difference between the two batteries is likely (likely, not absolutely) overcome by the charging circuit. Which means, if you have a house battery and a starting battery, they are ok to hook up together as long as they are isolated when the car/boat is turned off. Hypothetically, if you were using a low-current charger and ran them together (with the isolator engaged), the stronger battery might be affected by the weaker battery, but that would only happen if there was a significant charge difference between the two batteries - so yeah, just use your boat/car alternator :)

Now, as for isolating switches...and I'll probably upset a lot of boaters here...but I do not like the manual switches (Off-1-2-Both) for any isolation circuit...for the exactly reason you said - 'Oops I forgot' can become 'How do I get back to shore' in a hurry...There are marine-grade automatic isolators out there, I'd suggest going with one of those...

If you want to be a guinea pig, go with the 500A isolator I listed earlier in the thread...I've been running that for awhile now with no issues...and I have my 2nd 80A isolator for my trailer run under my rear bumper (fully exposed to the elements) and haven't see it fail yet either...so you could hypothetically go with a car-grade isolator and hope it won't fail on you (your mileage may vary, and if you do go with one, check it regularly to make sure it's still isolating - generally when isolators fail, they fail in the 'connected' position, linking both batteries together).

As for starting/deep cycle - if your cables are big enough (ie 4 or 2ga), when you hook up both in connected status to 'start' your boat, hypothetically, your starting battery, even though it is hooked up through the isolator, should be able to 'feed' more current (due to the nature of the way it's built, that's why it's a starting battery)...you will still use some of the deep cycle to start the boat, but most of the energy required will come from the starter battery...note: use good cables!! If you use a crappy cable to the 2nd (starter) battery, the cables will act as a restrictor and your 1st (deep cycle) battery will be used more...I hope that made sense :)

My brother decided to go with a manual switch, located right where he can see it every time. He's going with starting battery to start the boat, and deep cycle for his boat circuits (he has them run separately already)...personally, I don't think the type of battery matters when they are wired correctly, and I already told him not to call me when he forgets to turn the switch and wears down both batteries listening to the radio and running his fridge all day on the 'both' setting :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger