How to mount ARB Awning?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Hey folks,

I'm expecting my new awning to arrive at my doorsteps any day now :coffeedrink: I just found out that it's not coming with any mounting hardware :Wow1: Google showed me several ideas. Most wont work with our set up... My question now is: can we use the arb mounting rails on our roof top tent to fasten the awning? Has anyone done that? Pictures?

Worst case, I have to fabricate some kind of clamp :coffee:

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_2716.jpg
    IMG_2716.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2855.jpg
    IMG_2855.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 58

enzo

Explorer
Making a bracket that slides into the extrusions under tent might work but keep in mind you will need to be able to zip your tent cover off and on. I have never seen or heard anyone doing that but I'd give it shot and see what happens. I would look into getting a real roof rack.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I went don't have any pictures of my KJ install anymore but I bought a bag of pipe clamps and wrapped them around my RL rack and bolted it to the extrusion using the supplied hardware. The hosers on LOST said it would rip off, but it never did under actual off road conditions. If that's an RTT, I would get more of that hardware shown and buy an ARB L bracket and bolt it to the same extrusion. The ARB L is extremely thick and much stronger than the typical Home Depot L. I bought mine from Cruiser Outfitters.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Bolting a L bracket to the tent extrusion does seem like the easiest way but keep in mind you want the awning high enough to clear opening doors when open and closed. In a perfect world you want the awning to slope down away from the vehicle to make it rain friendly.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
The awning has a slightly different mount. There are two channels (a "top" channel and a "bottom" channel) which hold the heads of the supplied bolts, allowing then to slide along the length of the awning to any desired point without allowing them to spin (therefore easing the process of tightening the lock-nuts). the channels are roughly 1 1/2" apart and you can use any length bolt that has heads that fit in the channel. The manual will give you guidlines for recommended mount spacing. probably varying dependant on the length of the awning.

You probably just want some form of metal to go between the two bolts and clamp the roof rail in between the awning base and the metal.

Victorian

Thanks guys! I guess I will have to wait for that awning to arrive and then take it from there :)

Cheers

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Yes please! That would be amazing :)

Actually, I just found a great pic from another thread (I'll still see if I can find a measurement for you too)...
Awning%20Mount-1%20%28Custom%29.jpg

Victorian

Picked up the awning today. I think the combination of Roof top tent and awning mounted together is the way to go. I did a quick assembly with some cheap brackets from Home Depot and a couple of nuts and bolts that fit into the RTT track. Guess I will use it this weekend and see what exactly I need and get something done up in a welding shop.

Cheers,
Andreas

Attachments

• GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 212

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman