How To Mount Tires on Beadlockers Wheels

lgrt

Adventurer
The hard core guys know this but have you ever wonder how beadlocker wheels work or how you mount tires on them? Here is a how to video and write-up showing you how we did it... no fancy tire shop... just the tools you carry on expedition (or should) and a little brute force.

mounting tires on beadlockers

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Great writeup :cool:

I've got to ask, why do you refer to them as "beadlockers" versus a standard beadlock wheel? I must admit you had me confused as if you were working with a new product or mabey even a dual bead lock wheel? Guess if it had more than one lock it could be a beadlocker :D

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Dual bead locks have a lock ring on the inside and outside but good luck fitting them over most breaks. The inner bead on regular rims holds the bead better than the outside anyway so it's not as important. That Walker Evans bead lock is the best wheel you can use period. I wish I had them but my Stuan internal beadlocks have been great. They lock both sides and control the tire sidewall when aired way down low. They stop hard hits from getting all the way to the rim and you just have so much more high speed control when aired way down plus you can drive on a flat without loosing the inner bead. All said I still would trade for a set of the worlds best wheels and bead locks and they are those Walker Evans shown in the vid. He makes them in a double bead lock but like I said they may not fit over your breaks.

cruiseroutfit

Dual bead locks have a lock ring on the inside and outside but good luck fitting them over most breaks...

I know exactly what dual beadlocks are, I'm just trying to figure out what beadlockers are :D Again at first glance I thought it was a proprietary product or some new brand of beadlock style wheels. :victory:

lgrt

Adventurer
I know exactly what dual beadlocks are, I'm just trying to figure out what beadlockers are :D Again at first glance I thought it was a proprietary product or some new brand of beadlock style wheels. :victory:

No reason other than bad grammar and how the folks I hang out with refer to the general category of beadlock wheels... Sorry for the confusion.

cruiseroutfit

No reason other than bad grammar and how the folks I hang out with refer to the general category of beadlock wheels... Sorry for the confusion.

Not a worry at all. I actually googled beadlockers and it turns out quite a few refer to them that way.

Again, great writeup! :cool:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader

Sorry about that. I see your point. I knew you of all folks would be familer differnt beadlocks but was trying to add for the newbs. They sure are magic if for nothing else but the smooth ride that comes with real low pressure. My 35x 13.50 BFG Krawlers and Stuan beadlocks are run at 6 psi rear and 7 front psi on my XJ. It floats over the rocky trails in Colorado and saves the passengers and vehicle from all the bumps and vibration. Nothing will smooth the ride and add traction like beadlocks.

Bead locks on a military truck, Unimog and some smaller ones (like Staun) have a rubber insert that fits between the tire beads (Staun is an inflatable tube device). By necessity the wheel is 2 piece with a large O-ring to seal, and either threaded fasteners or a lock ring to seal. In the latter case a press is required to assemble. The military type rubber inserts can be mushroom shaped in cross section, then they are called "run-flats".

Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears