How tough is it to source parts for a 2.5?

I bought a 2001 XLS years ago and EP board members helped me by providing info on domestic outfits that support these trucks. I’m now on the cusp of buying a Gen 2.5 so I’m hoping to confirm that there are still enough options to source needed parts. Any helpful input is appreciated. Thx.

ARDOR

nwoods

Expedition Leader
It is getting much harder. Go to RockAuto and see what is available in stock verses backorder, and that will be a good indicator. OEM Mitsubishi parts website exist also, but I have found them to be hit or miss. My daughter get into a rear-ender with her Monty and the body shop had a really hard time sourcing things like rear brake lights and so forth, I ended up salvaging what she needed from a junk yard, wrapping it up and shipping it to the body shop. The problem was they they can only buy "new" parts by policy, and these days, reman or salvage is what you might need. However, rebuilding the 3.5L is still easy, and there are plenty of gasket kits and so forth still available.

It is getting much harder. Go to RockAuto and see what is available in stock verses backorder, and that will be a good indicator. OEM Mitsubishi parts website exist also, but I have found them to be hit or miss. My daughter get into a rear-ender with her Monty and the body shop had a really hard time sourcing things like rear brake lights and so forth, I ended up salvaging what she needed from a junk yard, wrapping it up and shipping it to the body shop. The problem was they they can only buy "new" parts by policy, and these days, reman or salvage is what you might need. However, rebuilding the 3.5L is still easy, and there are plenty of gasket kits and so forth still available.

very helpful, thank you. My biggest concern is under the motor since I plan on tackling everything maintenance related right off the bat. I guess it makes sense that body panels and such would lead to a wild goose chase.

Excellent! Much appreciated.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I have had excellent history with the parts supplier below for my Gen III.

Cheers

I have had excellent history with the parts supplier below for my Gen III.

Cheers
Well, that’s encouraging! Can you add a bit more context? Are there specific parts that this source did not have, and that forced you to look elsewhere? Or have they been pretty uniformly great?

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Well, that’s encouraging! Can you add a bit more context? Are there specific parts that this source did not have, and that forced you to look elsewhere? Or have they been pretty uniformly great?
I've been able to find any OEM part for the '02 Montero that I was searching for from that supplier.
Cheers

CharlieNorth

PartSouQ, Megazip, Luso The place you will find almost nothing is Mitsubishi USA, Few dealers even have documentation and the warehouses have dumped stock. I think the only carry stuff for Nissan/ Mitsu vehicles now.

As you folks predicted I've been able to find every part needed for a mechanical refresh -- though it took a lot of looking. Many thanks for the replies above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998