How warm is RTT?

highdesertranger

Adventurer
well I don't have a rtt but I ask this question. where does ice form first on the road? on bridges, because of the air flow under them. I am not saying you can't stay warm in a rtt I sleep on a cot that has air fow under it. imo your pad under you and your sleeping bag are the most important factors. highdesertranger

ert01

Adventurer
I have used my Simpson III in temperatures as low as -30C.

BUT... I still use the same gear I would, even if I was sleeping with no tent. The rating of your sleeping pad and bag are the two biggest concerns when sleeping at low temperatures. The next biggest concern is condensation. Don't put your face inside the sleeping bag! This will cause condensation inside the bag which will kill the insulation rating of the bag and make for a very uncomfortable night!

Get a bag rated for temperatures that are LOWER than what you expect. If you expect to be sleeping in -10, get a -15 or -18 bag.

Sleep in long underwear, but don't put on too many layers. Too much clothing will pack up in the bag and actually make you colder.

Wear a toque. Even in a mummy bag it can help since most of your heat loss is through your head.

Use a sleeping pad with a high r value under your bag. The foam in our rtt's is an unknown r value and I find its not very high. Throw down something better on top of the mattress and below the bag to help insulate you from the cold air flowing under the bottom of the tent floor. Exped and thermarest make some pads with a nice high r value.

Boil some water, and put it in a nalgene bottle inside the foot of your sleeping bag right as you go to bed. It will stay insulated by the bag and keep you warm long into the night.

ert01

Adventurer
Another trick I want to try this winter is to hang a dessicant bag inside the tent to absorb the condensation in the air from your breath.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk HD

rlynch356

Defyota
i have a horizon as well (2005) with an autohome tent - we were fine in 40 degree bags and a comforter (my 7yr old daughter and I) in 25 degree nights. I am going to add 2 thermarest foam pads under the mattress to get a little more insulation in there for my next trip in Jan.
this summer the plan is to buy an AT heatsource portable unit http://store.adventuretrailers.com/copy-of-portable-furnace-heatsource-hs2000/
expensive but about the only viable option at the moment - since a buddy heater will not work safely in a RTT with a full mattress - it would work with an Annex attached since you could put the buddy unit in the annex and away from stuff that will catch on fire.

For the family - i would look at what we did as a possibility for adding the extra tent space. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/164796-2005-AT-Horizon-Rambler?highlight=rambler
this allows me to add the Oz-tent RV5 to the mix for when the whole family goes

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
I guess it depends. This summer it had a party at a friends house. Me and the girlfriend brought the trailer and slept in the RTT, while her sister and boyfriend slept in a ground tent. They ran an extension with a ceramic heater in their tent, and he even had a toque on. Us, while we use just bed sheets, I usually bring some extra blankets, including a wool army blanket. Not only did we not need any extra blankets, we even hooked up the 12v fan to cool us down a bit.

DCH109

Adventurer
I have the same simpson 2. If you close it up its comfortable well into the 30's, given the thick canvass. I don't use sleeping bags in mine- I take two down comforters, one to spread out on the mattress and one to use as a comforter. Have been comfortable below freezing. I have a friend with an Eezi Awn and he uses a heater buddy in his regularly without issue and has endured snow storms etc in bliss.

Exactly, mine were not down, but I was far from cold.

Really no different that camping in a regular tent in the cold. the number 1 issue with any tent is condensation so you need some ventilation.

Happykamper

Explorer
The two different RTT's I have EEZIAWN and Tepui are both very warm inside even when it gets in the 30's outside . Package that with a Big Anes Encampnent 15 @ 15* female and -9* male and it's super warm :) . As for wind not much of a factor on these tents I would assume the ARB would be pretty similar as they produce some pretty good products over all . So you all should be just fine, especially with more then one person in tent producing body heat.
Ditto the ont use heaters in tent !!!

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Got down to 23-25* last weekend and and I was totally fine using a military sleep system and midweight merino long sleeve wool t-shirt/wool bottom base layers. Did use a little buddy heater to knock the chill off sunday morn in the annex but it was more to try to knock off the obscene amount of brown liquor that was passed around.

Box Rocket

Hit 8* Friday night along the Utah/Arizona border near the Wave. I had a 30* NF bag inside another 30* NF bag and slept quite comfortably. Tent is a Tepui Kukenam XL Ruggedized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998