How Weather Resistant are Rubbermaid ActionPackers?

some_dude

Observer
I'm looking at getting a few of these to carry in the back of my truck. Just wondering how well the keep out water when left exposed and uncovered in the box?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
They are "ok" as-is, but you can greatly improve them by running a piece of foam weather strip around the sealing edge. That is what I did for the one on the back of our TW200.

Expedition Leader
I've packed mine on a roof rack and they did OK; they are not dust proof or water proof unless the rain is only coming straight down. I only put things in mine that wouldn't be harmed by moisture or dust. They are a convenient size, not too large and not too small.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Short answer... Not very. There will be enough play at the middle of the lid that rain and dust do get in. As both Henry and Lee noted they are still perfectly usable depending on your requirements. But if you want to keep tools in one in the open bed of a truck for six months they're gonna get rusty.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
The lid does not overhang the box, so water can weep in along the seam. I think a good ol' Rubbermaid tote is more rain resistant because the lid fits over the box. Of course you will get a mini-swimming pool on the tote lid...

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Damn...

I wasn't really expecting a lot but I was hoping they'd at least be able to deal with a bit of rain.

My experience is a little different than others...

I have an actionpacker (the medium size) on my roof rack w/chains, tools, jumper cables, etc. In the groove on the lid I added 3/4 foam strip (used for weatherproofing around windows). It's been on the roof for 2 Pacific Northwest Winters, strapped down tight with a tie-strap. Snow, sleet, hail, sun, etc. Took it down a couple weeks ago to get out the jumper cables. No rain, no moisture, no rust, no issues. I've got a few others that I've waterproofed the same that don't spend as much time outside, but have been like that for 5+ years with now issues.

I would imagine if you opened/closed it regularly you might have weatherproofing issues, but honestly I wouldn't hesitate to leave it up there in just about any weather (it doesn't get much wetter than the PNW in winter lol).

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Short answer... Not very. There will be enough play at the middle of the lid that rain and dust do get in. As both Henry and Lee noted they are still perfectly usable depending on your requirements. But if you want to keep tools in one in the open bed of a truck for six months they're gonna get rusty.

That's right, They really weren't made for keeping weather and dust out. I once saw on a forum or on YouTube a guy that used silicone and clear plactic wrap to make a water tight seal. Even with this the handles aren't sealed and the material they are made out of is rather thin and brittle so they can't stand up to much punishment before they crack.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

off-roader

Expedition Leader
In addition to not being very water tight, I found that for the models where the lid was not hinged but instead uses 2 clasps to hold it on, they can and did fly off during 65mph test passes on the freeway. I needed a solution for a weekend trip so I installed eyelet bolts so I could tie the lids down.

After a couple of trips with them on my roof (for light stuff) I've since retired them to garage duty and store 99% of my gear inside instead of on the roof.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
After adding some rubber weather stripping, as others have mentioned, and lashing it to the roof rack with cam straps, I've had excellent results.
No moisture, or dust inside at all.

nosnerd

wanna be tourist
i have had a medium sized one now for 15 years.......bought another in spring...getting two more and a roof top basket next spring,,cannot beat them for the price (i waited till it was 40% off)

6x6pinz

Adventurer
Our group uses the used aluminum military medical chest. One of the guys does the government liquidation auctions and gets us a real break on them. With several sizes to choose from they are perfect. You could float your items down the river and know they are dry and dust free in the end. The large/xlarge models make good camp tables and places to sit once set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior