How would you outfit this custom LJ?

Lucky j

Explorer
Nothing I'm proposing requires that you have to put yourself in harm's way to operate the winch when mounted in either the front or rear receivers. Is there something you think I'm missing?

I think that he either forgot or does not know the the controle box as a cable remote that get you away from possible injuries. Or at least a little off to the side or to the driver position.

By personal experience, Since you plan to go with 2 possible winch location, I would suggest that you get a wireless remote controle. They are very nice and make work way easier and safer.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I think that he either forgot or does not know the the controle box as a cable remote that get you away from possible injuries. Or at least a little off to the side or to the driver position.

By personal experience, Since you plan to go with 2 possible winch location, I would suggest that you get a wireless remote controle. They are very nice and make work way easier and safer.

A wireless remote is a good idea. I'm thinking of doing a Warn 26502, which I think is compact enough to be used on both the front and the rear, and has a relocatable control relay box, which I'll need for the rear. I believe it also comes with a 12' wired remote, which should work from the front to the drivers seat, but may not work for the rear. Warn offers a wireless remote and it can be bought for not much more than $100, so that may be the way I go.

Thanks for the input!

Lucky j

Explorer
i have been using the warn remote for both my front and rear winch. The winch unit is plug in on any warn winch. I keep a 12 foot cord remote just in case, but after 4 years, I am still on the same set of batteries.

One of the best winch related purchased I ever did. A fun one anyway. :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been watching Craigslist for a hitch to modify into my front receiver. Here's one that just showed up for $35 that's a good candidate:

HitchCandidate_zpsrr5lmqzm.jpg

Mods would include cutting the crossbar off so that it fits between the factory tow hook mounting holes, fabricating some mounting brackets from 1/4" steel, and welding them to the ends of the shortened crossbar. Something like this:

HitchMod1_zpsxzrv1qoe.jpg

One more mod would be adding a vertical receiver tube to store the winch vertically instead of hanging out over the front, but I'll have to do some measurements at the Jeep to know how best to place that.

thebmrust

TBH - didn’t read all 48 pages of this thread... where can one find these aluminum sand ladders as shown on post # 630?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I picked up a hitch on Craigslist to modify to be my front receiver:

WinchPartsMockup1_zpsayxzz3wj.jpg

I don't have a winch yet so I've done some full-size templates to do the design work with but I'll probably order a winch in the next few days to more accurately do the design.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I plan to provide for d-rings on the front winch receiver, so today I started making the ring eyes for them. I started with a block of 3/4" thick steel and turned it into a ring eye. This photo shows a rough block of 3/4" steel, a finished ring eye and a d-ring.

RingEye1_zpsmrrwt06l.jpg

I'll be installing one on each side of the winch so I'll need to make one more.

Here's how it'll go on the receiver; I haven't cut the receiver to length yet, it's still in it's original form.

RingEye2_zpsgmsg8agr.jpg

RingEye3_zpskk2snrwv.jpg

Also I ordered a Warn 26502 8000-lb. winch, it should be here in a few days. When it gets here I'll be able to finish the design.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Progress on the front receiver - I trimmed the crossbar to length and made mounting brackets for it; it mounts to the factory tow hook holes on top of the bumper. Nothing is welded yet. The d-ring eyes are clamped in position for this photo.

ReceiverMockup1_zpsf5yr406m.jpg

The winch has arrived so I'll do measurements so I can design a mount that will fit properly in the front and the back (and clear the spare tire above the bumper in the back). If possible, I'd like to add a vertical receiver tube in the front to store the winch vertically when it's not in use, something like in the photo below although the piece of receiver tub in the photo is too small, it's just there for mockup purposes for now. It may be that in the vertical position it obscures too much of the narrowly spaced CJ headlights and turn signals, I'll know that shortly as I work through the final design.

ReceiverMockup3_zpse2ptqql0.jpg

Also - I've calculated the interior volume of the crossbar and it's just under one gallon. With that in mind I think I may weld a pair of 1/8" NPT bungs on the back - with those I can experiment with using the crossbar as an air tank for my 12v compressor. A one-gallon air tank isn't much, but it could help with a small 12v compressor.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I think I'd be worried about the winch blocking airflow to the radiator mounted vertically like that...
I don't expect any problems with it, there will be several inches between the grille and the winch, plenty of room for air to flow in.

There are lots of winch installations out there that block a lot more of the grille than what I'm doing...

JA06TJ_lg.jpg

I have rocked the same Warn winch on the front of my 20 year old 1998 TJ for the past 18 years with no problems winter time or summer. In fact, there was no difference on my engine temps per the factory guage from the days before the winch up until now. You will just be fine.

I would be more concerned with theft and you probably already planned to use some kinda of a locking device on that receiver for piece of mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Mounting brackets are now welded to the crossbar:

CrossbarWelded1_zpsa6fxg1gb.jpg

CrossbarWelded2_zpseg7lqblg.jpg

In a quick test with the HiLift I was able to lift both front tires off the ground with no flex in the receiver, so I'll call it good.

CrossbarWeldedTest_zpszcfxo8ew.jpg

My winch arrived so now I can do the design of the winch cradle. Also left to do is welding the d-ring eyes to the crossbar, but I'll do that after I get the winch cradle done.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I have rocked the same Warn winch on the front of my 20 year old 1998 TJ for the past 18 years with no problems winter time or summer. In fact, there was no difference on my engine temps per the factory guage from the days before the winch up until now. You will just be fine.

I would be more concerned with theft and you probably already planned to use some kinda of a locking device on that receiver for piece of mind.

A locking hitch pin is definitely part of the plan.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I finished up the basic fabrication of the receiver this morning. Once I get the winch mount/cradle done I'll see if it'll work out to add a vertical receiver tube for storing the winch out of harm's way.

ReceiverDone1_zpsr0bnuu4n.jpg

ReceiverDone2_zpsonlk4rrm.jpg

ReceiverDone3_zpsoxbdste0.jpg

Next up: fabricating the winch mount/cradle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior