How would you outfit this custom LJ?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff, he is talking about the metal things that you throw on the ground when you are stuck in sand or mud. You basically drive onto them (they look like a short ladder) to get "unstuck". When I lived in Colorado, I always brought some carpeting along and that did the job very well. You don't ever see Jeeps in the U.S. with these. Usually you see them on D210's in Africa, mounted to the side of the roofrack. Many Jeepers think they are really just for looks these days, but perhaps if you were in the Sahara, you might need one. :ylsmoke:

Thanks, that's what I thought but I couldn't imagine how this cargo rack could be used as one of those, so I assumed he must be talking about something else that I didn't know about.

ExRackCooler2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
BTW here's the list of possible next projects I'm considering (these are not listed in any particular order). I've done enough design work on all of them so that I'm pretty much ready to start work on any one of them, I'm just trying to decide which one I'd most like to do next:

1. Safari Cab low profile roof. Roof would be modular, as you've seen in the recent drawings I've posted.

2. TJ-CJ transition hood. A custom fiberglas hood that allows the installation of a CJ grille and fenders on a TJ/LJ.

3. Trailer tub kits. Fiberglass "Jeep style" sides/ends and fenderwells to make a kit for any length tubs, which could fit on commonly available Harbor Freight/Northern Tool/etc. trailers; also could make pickup tubs from the kit parts.

4. Safari Cab Full barn door/ambulance doors/full hatch. Fiberglass rear door(s) that could be used in multiple configurations on either Safari Cabs or the camper. The ambulance doors would be a separate sub-project, they would use the same outer mold but would require a separate inner mold, so I might do just the barn door but not the ambulance doors.

As always, your input is welcome.

titleguy

Observer
Rear door thoughts...

jscherb, you're right, the single barn door makes a lot more sense than the ambulance doors (although they look cooler, imho).

The stock configuration works really well. Actually, I love the stock when I'm not running a spare tire. But with the 35" on the factory mount, I have to swing the door all the way open to get the glass up. Major PITA when you need to get something out quick and if there's a tree that's a little to close, sometimes you have to move the vehicle to get the glass open. On the plus side, it's handy when you get lumber from home depot to leave the glass up and slide the lumber in.

Your barn door would make opening and closing a one step process. I love the look of a tailgate, but on a hardtop jeep running a spare, you'd lose the ability to run it on the tailgate, which would make opening the back a three step process.

That's the main reason I don't run an aftermarket tire carrier. With the exception of the Bestop, it adds a step to opening the back door and I'm really lazy.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've got a roof top tent on the way to me so I can experiment with mounting it on the Safari Cab and on the trailer. It looks a lot like the one in the drawing below. I've never installed/configured/used a RTT before, so I'm not sure what the best mounting orientation will be:

RTTDirection.jpg

I'm sure there are plusses and minuses to each way shown above, any opinions?

Or, the other option is not to mount it on the Jeep at all, and put it on the trailer instead:

TTTConcept1.jpg

Details of this trailer configuration are here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ss-Jeep-tub-trailer-kit?p=1013886#post1013886

JeepJK2011

Hey, i have been following some of your builds on a few different forums now. Any chance you will make a safari top for JK unlimited, I think this would be a great build. Either way, very much inspired by your work!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hey, i have been following some of your builds on a few different forums now. Any chance you will make a safari top for JK unlimited, I think this would be a great build. Either way, very much inspired by your work!

I've done a design for a JKU Safari Cab, it's got all the same features as the TJ/LJ Safari Cab - it's modular, the hard sides can be swapped for roll-up side curtains; it can support roof-top tents and other heavy loads on top; it's got a raised roof for more headroom (and it's also got small "Alpine windows" along the upper sides); it also has a swinging rear barn door. The lines are slightly more angular than the current Safari Cab to better integrate with the more angular lines of the JK. I haven't posted any concept drawings of it as if yet. Not sure when/if I'll build one, I don't have a JKU here to work with.

Carolyn

no retreat, no surrender
At this point, I would be asking myself: where will I want to travel (what type of terrain), how far from supplies will I get (gas/water/food etc) and as mentioned above, where will I sleep... looks like that may already be answered by a tent... but you get my drift... build for your anticipated (long term is good) adventures.

Edited to say: SHEESH...... I know I had a bad day, but this is ridiculous.... I didn't get past the first page, didn't realize you were sooooo far along... sorry for the out of place waaaaay late suggestions! Cool rig btw....

Last edited:

squint

Adventurer
BTW here's the list of possible next projects I'm considering (these are not listed in any particular order). I've done enough design work on all of them so that I'm pretty much ready to start work on any one of them, I'm just trying to decide which one I'd most like to do next:

1. Safari Cab low profile roof. Roof would be modular, as you've seen in the recent drawings I've posted.

2. TJ-CJ transition hood. A custom fiberglas hood that allows the installation of a CJ grille and fenders on a TJ/LJ.

3. Trailer tub kits. Fiberglass "Jeep style" sides/ends and fenderwells to make a kit for any length tubs, which could fit on commonly available Harbor Freight/Northern Tool/etc. trailers; also could make pickup tubs from the kit parts.

4. Safari Cab Full barn door/ambulance doors/full hatch. Fiberglass rear door(s) that could be used in multiple configurations on either Safari Cabs or the camper. The ambulance doors would be a separate sub-project, they would use the same outer mold but would require a separate inner mold, so I might do just the barn door but not the ambulance doors.

As always, your input is welcome.

Jeff,
I also really liked your idea about making a center console for the jeep for extra gauges/switches. That little plate on top of the center console is useless anyway and the aftermarket options available today leave much to be desired.

I still love the CJ clip idea too.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jeff,
I also really liked your idea about making a center console for the jeep for extra gauges/switches. That little plate on top of the center console is useless anyway and the aftermarket options available today leave much to be desired.

I still love the CJ clip idea too.
Hey Squint,

I'll still probably do that console some day, I had actually planned to do it while I was doing all the fiberglass work for the trailer tub kits, but just didn't get around to it, the work on the trailer tub parts consumed all my time.

I will be doing the the CJ clip project next, I've collected everything I need for it and I'm just waiting to finish off a few details of the trailer project to turn that all over to the company that's going to market the kits. It's really not "expo related", so I won't post that project here.

Jeff

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I did build a piece of gear for the LJ Safari today...

Back when I was designing the Exogate large spare carrier/tailgate reinforcement/heavy-duty hinges, I did a number of designs for things that could be used along with it, given the fact that once the Exogate is installed, the tailgate has a lot more weight capacity.

One of the things I designed, but never built (until now) is a jerry can rack that sits between the factory spare carrier and the tailgate. I've got a very long cross-country trip coming up in January, and I'll be crossing long stretches of fairly desolate terrain, so I'd feel more comfortable if I had some spare fuel on board. Also, all those miles will be a good chance to give the design a thorough test.

Here is it, just tack-welded together so far, but complete except for a locking strap that will secure both the can to the rack and the cap to the can. Don't mind the dust and dirt, the tailgate and carrier I'm mocking this up with are spares from my dusty garage.

TweenRack5.jpg

TweenRack6.jpg

TweenRack7.jpg

Disclaimer 1: I'm mocking this up on my workbench on a factory tailgate without an Exogate, but this doesn't mean this rack should be used without some form of tailgate reinforcement. I think if this were installed on an unreinforced factory tailgate, the life of the tailgate would be significantly shortened.

Disclaimer 2: I'm building this for my cross-country trip, just because I built it doesn't mean it will become a product. Just thought you might be interested in seeing it though.

Once I fabricate the locking strap, everything will get painted and then I'll install it on the LJ Safari.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Cool...

To bad there isn't some way to measure the stress applied to the latching mech.?. I'm interested to hear your after adventure report on how this woks out! Great work as usual sir!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
To bad there isn't some way to measure the stress applied to the latching mech.?. I'm interested to hear your after adventure report on how this woks out! Great work as usual sir!

Since the Exogate prevents any twisting or movement of the tailgate, the stress on the latch is really no more than in the stock situation. Anyway I'll be doing a 5,000+ mile road trip, so it will get plenty of test time.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I made up the locking strap for the jerry can rack this morning, so all it needs now is some finish welding and paint and it'll be ready to install. The strap secures the can very well, there shouldn't be any rattling, it's lockable so the can won't "walk away", and it also prevents the cap from being removed when the strap is locked, so no tampering with the fuel.

TweenRack8.jpg

TweenRack9.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I finished up the Jerry can rack and got it installed on the filthy LJ Safari. It's very solid (thanks to the Exogate), I'll drive it around for a few days to test it before I take the long trip I've got scheduled at the end of next week.

Tween1.jpg

Tween3.jpg

Tween5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger