HPA VW TDI Swap Kit Now Available for YJ

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Quality of the parts appears excellent. Certainly much nicer than the Keltec kit for the Samurai back in the day.

jingram

Adventurer
Yeah, I love the idea too... my biggest issue is cost. A newer TDI motor is NOT going to be cheap and while they mention the immobilizer bypass, no other talk about integrating into the electronics on the Jeep, although with the YJ, I can't imagine it being that bad. I know they are debuting at SEMA, so will be interesting to see what comes out of this. HPA is very big in the VW/Audi Tuner Scene and do have a good reputation.

carcrafter22

Adventurer
Very nice looking kit but you can swap in a much more robust (and heavier) as well as more powerful isuzu 4bd1t or cummins 4bt for that price (not including the cost of engine or transmission) and thats for the whole conversion not just a set of motor mounts, flywheel, trans adapter and downpipe.

Like I said very nice kit and probably worth every penny since its not cheap to make quality like that but you can build better a better foundation for much cheaper.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
I like it.

Since the power and more importantly the economy of these engines is well documented I like this as a swap option. And since these models are ALL OVER Europe and able to be imported to the US no hassle...it lends for some other buy in options. Sure its not cheap...nothing good ever is. And since I have a YJ project on the way back burner already...who knows? Right now its a toss up between this, or a cummins 3.3 or 4bt...and maybe a couple others...ugh...

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Better MPGs and a free workout...

But no options for an automatic trans?

If it were, I would be VERY seriously looking at this kit.

A manual will usually net more/better MPG returns IMHO. Plus its usually more durable, less length, and less expensive as an average. Not saying autos don't have their place...I think this with a manual 5 or 6sp is the hot ticket though.
BTW, what is a YJ unlimited?? Are you using the wood stretcher on a jeep? I'd love to see pics if your making the YJ longer via a frame swap or stretch.

alosix

Expedition Leader
Very nice looking kit but you can swap in a much more robust (and heavier) as well as more powerful isuzu 4bd1t or cummins 4bt for that price (not including the cost of engine or transmission) and thats for the whole conversion not just a set of motor mounts, flywheel, trans adapter and downpipe.

Like I said very nice kit and probably worth every penny since its not cheap to make quality like that but you can build better a better foundation for much cheaper.

There is no way you could do a 4bt in a jeep for what that costs, sorry, not happening. Finding a decent used 4bt under 2k is hard considering how many people like to attempt swaps with it.

Its also VERY heavy require much more extensive modification of the Jeep. Its also taller requiring a good bit of lift.

This setup would let you throw it in a stock YJ at stock height with the stock D30 under it and stock leafs.

Iv'e been researching getting a oil burner into my TJ since I bought it new, the 4bt really isn't a viable option.

I would think.. Since they have this figured out for the 4 cycle bell housing that a TF904 would bolt up to it. The only issue at that point would be finding a proper torque converter (though the VW TDIs are fairly gas engine like in power band) and getting a flex plate figured out. I'd want something with overdrive in it though.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
or...

Or maybe you could run one of the VW autos from a RWD (passat? something??) and just run a divorced T-case...

jingram

Adventurer
From what I read on another site... VW's auto transmissions are a real bugger to get working right in a non VW car. Sounds like they have a system bus sort of like CAN Bus and it causes real issues with integration?

A love the thought of this project if you could source a TDI motor at reasonable price. If, however, you end up into this project 8-10k with motor, then simply not worth it. You simply do not have the payload capacity in a YJ to make it a great overlanding vehicle. Sure, great in tight places and for shorts trips, but it really starts to suffer in longer scenarios or those that involve more than two people.

That all being said, talk of mileage in the low 30s to low 40s gets me really excited!

lamontagne

Adventurer
BTW, what is a YJ unlimited?? Are you using the wood stretcher on a jeep? I'd love to see pics if your making the YJ longer via a frame swap or stretch

I used a Binford 2600 Jeep stretcher! (LOL, actually just search for YJ unlimited and you will find the build thread. It is currently on hold while I get a new house though.)

I would think.. Since they have this figured out for the 4 cycle bell housing that a TF904 would bolt up to it. The only issue at that point would be finding a proper torque converter (though the VW TDIs are fairly gas engine like in power band) and getting a flex plate figured out. I'd want something with overdrive in it though.

I have an AW-4 (3-speed + overdrive) trans and bellhousing from a 4-banger jeep ready to go! I also have a TF904 (more specifically a 30RH) just in case I dont want to mess with the electronics of the AW-4.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
So it looks like they are going to be bringing this to the TJ platform as well. I want to know how they are going to get this engine working with the TJ computer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears