Hummer Builds

Clutch

<---Pass
If it weren’t for the image thing
What image thing are you referring too?

It has been said that a Hummer H2 is just a Tahoe with the ****************** Package.

It's fun sometimes to be the only one driving something other than the dime a dozen 4x4.

Good luck and thanks for the pictures. I'm glad your "image" is safe and glad to see you don't look like the following:

It used to be that Toyotas were pretty rare. Years and years ago, I darn near got kicked out of our "Ford Only" house when I dragged my first one home. My dad is a good ol' boy...and said "no gawd damn Jap Crap is going to be parked in my garage!" (of course his '76 F250 that he bought new had 3 engines in it before it reached 75K miles) ...and that Toyota, an '85 4Runner I ran it up to 225K before I sold it.

Yeah, we think we are all individuals...just like everyone one else..... ;):)

Last edited:

owlxxx

Observer
I also have an H3T Alpha for my adventures. the previously mentioned problems are all true, but it's been pretty great and surprisingly capable in factory form. I also take dedicated wheeling trips with it and beat on it fairly hard. Besides breaking a few things, it has been great overall. It will soon be pulling my offroad teardrop trailer.

photo at Big Bend National Park on the way to the Boquillas Mexico border crossing
View attachment 443294
Is that the defender rack? Im looking at getting the smittybilt model 4555, how do you like it?

jsoffroad

Hummer fan here, 1989 HMMWV. Hard to get street legal and doesn't have good highway manners but traveling off of the pavement it doesn't need anything to the drivetrain.

IMG_0019 (1).jpg

Milamr

I agree there isn’t many builds, I view the H2 has a big clumsy heavy SUV with not much good going for it. There are tons and tons of better options out there. I see tons of H2’s on used car lots marked down and they can’t sell them... I would take one if you gave it to me... just my opinion

f1915ecaedf87353a4d507734945670c.jpg
80753476cc73516fd167b71ddd2cf27b.jpg
6a435b6a5a1f3c8dbd121f28dbb54637.jpg

Once you replace the tie rods with Kryptonite or Dmax ones the H2 is sturdy. The steps on mine are removable from the rocksliders. Had zero problems running Poison Spider in Moab and had an easier time than some of the Jeeps that were with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boucher

Wow, a lot hate on the H2, I just picked up one cheap from a private sale. I have pretty much done about everything I wanted to my Fj40 and I wanted a new project, after looking for land cruisers all I could find were vehicles with over 200,000 miles going for 15K and up, same with FJ cruisers, I then figured I would look at Broncos as I built a few of those in the day again high mileage high priced. So I found a 2003 H2 from someone I knew for 5,000 with low miles on it ( needed brakes and a headliner ) I went for the H2 option as it is basically an almost ready vehicle, so I'm saving money in it for lift kit and larger tires, the interior is spacious for extra gear , Since the PO converted it to rear coils I reused the stock air compressor location to accommodate and upgraded comprossor for onboard air. As for fuel mileage, it is not that bad as people say people need to remember it is 2500 chassis I'm getting around 13.5-14 or so the lie ometer in the dash says, but thats comparable to my Fj40 12.5 MPG, my old Fj Cruiser got around 17 and old bronco maybe 14. Just Seems theres a lot of hate about these vehicles

Last edited:

Milamr

Mine has front and rear lockers also which most platforms don’t.

Glad to hear that the former owner did the upgrade to springs in the rear. The air ride is just a problem and expensive to repair. I would be interested in knowing what compressor you mounted and how you mounted it.

Boucher

I used a VIAR System for tires over 35 Inch my Fj40 it has 35's on it so I figured for the time being this would work, I mounted the compressor on the tray of the old compressor, I'm still fabricating up were to put the tank. I attached a picture I created on how I have the setup in My FJ40

1573052081930.png

Boucher

Nice Rig, soon mine will be transformed much as I did my FJ40, unfortunately, the aftermarket selection of parts and such is limited. Seems the tree huggers did a good job banishing the H2 and Hummer Line, I always heard terrible Mileage funny after researching a thread about Overlanding rigs MPG I was astonished to find the H2 is right on Par for vehicles with the same size and weight and very close to other vehicles commonly used in the overlanding community

Milamr

There are still some good products out there but certainly harder to find than Jeep upgrades. The H40 forum is all Hummer guys so it is a great resource for potential solutions.

TwinDuro

Very cool! Looks like some serious (H1 style) under-body protection. From the moment I first read the first "new vehicle off road test" for the H2 in Four Wheeler when they were new, I was interested. On paper there was and still is a lot to like: 34.5" tires from the factory with some of the best looking factory 8-lug wheels ever (especially with the center cap removed), a coil-sprung 9.5" semi-floater with an e-locker out back, a beefy frame, 9.25" front diff, 4.10:1 gears, a 2.64:1 low range, the fantastic LQ4 6.0 or 6.2 in the final years. Lots to like! I suppose if a person was nitpicky we would have wanted a 4L80 and 10.5" FF from the factory, but thats neither here nor there.

I've also always thought that mildly built H3s were good looking rigs too. I guess haters will always be haters ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears