Hunting Truck/Trailer Set ups geared towards hunting

PeteEinMT

Observer
So what are you using when you travel for hunting? I have an emphasis on Upland Hunting but apply in all states for Big game every year.

After having 3 Power Wagons from 2007-2021, 2 F150's and one Mega Cab Cummins I feel the Ford Tremor 7.3 is about perfect. Also I feel a Bigfoot Trailer is about ideal for any weather while not being too big. I picked up an UBCO this last year and just added a new CT125. I will be adding a Truck Vault and an RSI Topper when they come out for the New SD's. Thought about a Pop UP for those quick trips but nothing jumps out at me. Thoughts?

Drew a good Mule deer tag in WY this year and a top Antelope tag in Montana Both areas had minimal winter kill with a high moisture spring. I head out Oct 5th for Antelope and Birds

Attachments

• IMG_9963.jpg
    IMG_9963.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9962.jpg
    IMG_9962.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9961.jpg
    IMG_9961.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9960.jpg
    IMG_9960.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 63

ITTOG

We have a shack on our property but most bring lifted 6' x 12' cargo trailers to sleep in. Any longer than that and you would either high center on a berm, get stuck straddling a creek, or not be able to make a few turns. Your trailer is nice but wouldn't last very long.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

PeteEinMT

Observer
That's not the intent nor where I would take it. Roaming for birds in areas that have very few Motels and the ones around are marginal at best. You may hunt one area one day then move to a new area to explore 100 miles away or more.

Reactions: plh

PCO6

Adventurer
I doubt anyone would still be interested in one of these but this is what I first camped in with my family back in the 60s. We didn't hunt in it but our NOMAD was designed so you could arrive, take the boat/top off and get to your destination by water. See the bottom right water shot in the ad.

nomadteardroptrailer630.jpg

NOMAD - Steve - Ontario.jpg

Nomad 3.JPG

Last edited:

ITTOG

That's not the intent nor where I would take it. Roaming for birds in areas that have very few Motels and the ones around are marginal at best. You may hunt one area one day then move to a new area to explore 100 miles away or more.
Yeah sounds very different. We get to our destination and set up camp for seven days. It would be too difficult to move around. I have never hunt birds so I didn't know you might move like that. Last year was the first time I ever hunted. It was for deer. So all this is new to me. However, I have been going to deer camp for a long time.

I doubt anyone would still be interested in one of these but this what I first camped in with my family back in the 60s. We didn't hunt in it but our NOMAD was designed so you could arrive, take the boat/top off and get to your destination by water. See the bottom right water shot in the ad.

View attachment 797179

View attachment 797180

View attachment 797181
That is pretty cool. With it you should be able to get surf and turf for dinner.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
Where I hunt which is mostly in NY, NH, VT, ME and costal NJ the most appropriate vehicle / rig would be an AWD van, Ford or MB Sprinter. The versatility of it's what I value the most.
At the moment all my trips are done in a fwd wagon and tailgate tent :D

Very similar to this tent.

1695155424736.png

But this kind of a peasant setup does not prevent me from having fun.
I hope to upgrade it someday to a van (my favorite) or a truck + small RV (my wife's favorite).

brogo

I’ve spent a lot nights camping for hunts over the last few years, and agree that a truck + trailer setup is ideal. I actually wrote a piece for Field and Stream on this very topic:

My friend has a lifted A-Liner that has worked wonderfully. I’ve owned everything from an off road teardrop to my current Airstream Bambi—for hunting, I think something you can stand up in and cook inside of when the weather is nasty is crucial. I’ll also say that while the Airstream isn’t an “overland” trailer, I’ve been really impressed at where it’ll go with a small lift and bigger tires.

I’ve also been using a Tune M1 on my Tundra so far this season, and it has been amazing. So much more space inside than wedge-style campers I’ve had, and still light enough to load a bunch of gear in the back and not worry about it.

PCO6

Adventurer
I’ve spent a lot nights camping for hunts over the last few years, and agree that a truck + trailer setup is ideal. I actually wrote a piece for Field and Stream on this very topic:

My friend has a lifted A-Liner that has worked wonderfully. I’ve owned everything from an off road teardrop to my current Airstream Bambi—for hunting, I think something you can stand up in and cook inside of when the weather is nasty is crucial. I’ll also say that while the Airstream isn’t an “overland” trailer, I’ve been really impressed at where it’ll go with a small lift and bigger tires.

I’ve also been using a Tune M1 on my Tundra so far this season, and it has been amazing. So much more space inside than wedge-style campers I’ve had, and still light enough to load a bunch of gear in the back and not worry about it.

I enjoyed your article. I have a friend who is restoring a late 60s Bambi. He's not into off roading Maybe I can talk him into it! lol

Late to the party. IMO, your Bigfoot is nearly perfect, although I prefer double axles. Just be careful with your water system and waste tanks. If you add the topper, how are you going to haul the bike(s)? Front receiver?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior